Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Forwarding Mail
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Forwarding Mail

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our house and used our sons address for a few months until we bought another house in his state. When we moved to our new house my wife turned in a change of address for her and I as INDIVIDUALS, not for the whole family. Well next thing you know our illustrious dipsticks at the Usps started sending his mail to our house like he had also moved.

I went to our post office and the lady verified that my wife filed us as individuals and his mail shouldn’t have changed. I showed her all his mail and she shrugged her shoulders and said tell your son to call his post office. So my son went to his post office and they verified that he had not moved and that my wife and I moved as individuals. It continued on and I sent all my sons mail to him a few times. The next thing that happened is that my dil was at a gas station and her credit card wouldn’t work.

My son left work to go get her and then called Chase to see why the cc wouldn’t work. They said that the Usps had notified them of my sons address change so the zip code that she was entering at the pump was wrong. He then went to the post office and put in a change of address from my house to his house and the mail seems to be subsiding at my house. You can’t fix stupid when it comes to gov run agencies. No more using anyone’s address even for forwarding, I’ll go with the escapees mail service next time.

* This post was edited 01/23/20 05:56pm by azrving *

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Now in Massachusetts when you register for a drivers license they automatically register you to vote. As far as legal residency I have always found it to be where ever you filed your Federal Taxes from.

If you get a Mass License, presumably, you have moved there.

I'm talking about it you don't get a new legal residence. More typical of expats living overseas but possible with an RV.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using a mail forwarding service does NOT change your residency. You can keep your residency where it is, but use a mail service from any state to receive your mail. You will need a residence address (could use son's) and would always list both the resident and mail address on anything you do including taxes. To become a resident somewhere else you would have to do other things just as if you were actually moving.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly, mail forwarding by the USPS is not reliable. It might work in smaller communities but it seems to be a totally manual system that does not work in larger communities. When I sold my house and wanted the mail forwarded to my mail handling service in South Dakota, the Post Office could not make it happen. I visited the post office 3 times but the mail just kept being dropped in my old box even after we moved out and there were new home owners.

Eventually a major piece of mail with a large check was not forwarded and was eventually returned to the sender. I found out a couple of years later when the IRS sent me a notice that I filed incorrectly and owed a major amount of capital gains.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP is gone.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

OP is gone.
When I first saw a topic by a brand new member that had been discussed a hundred times I was wondering if it is yet another idiot having their own special kind of fun.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Forwarding Mail
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.