Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

disk brake questions

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of questions please.

2019 GD 2500rl is TT

WE are close to Myrtle Beach and I know there are a lot of RV owners there. We are thinking about going with a disk brake conversion. Has anyone had this done in the NE area of SC or SE NC? Price? Trying to find a reliable shop to do this at a reasonable price.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Performance Trailer website was very informative.

Any idea of what the labor cost would be from a place like that? I realize I can find out from them but am not quite ready to make the plunge. Just wondering if someone knows approximate cost.

Send a message and ask. I had a card from them I picked up at a rally last year, next modification on mine.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Performance Trailer website was very informative.

Any idea of what the labor cost would be from a place like that? I realize I can find out from them but am not quite ready to make the plunge. Just wondering if someone knows approximate cost.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assume that you're asking because you are disappointed in the OEM brakes. I've had good luck improving the braking performance of the lighter axles by significantly increasing the brake wire size to get higher voltage to the magnets, and by adjusting the brake pads after break-in. I put disk brakes on our 6,000 lb. axles and they are very strong. My biggest disappointment is the slight time delay while the actuator builds pressure.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put my own on with separate components (not a kit). They work wonderfully.

Lots of good comments from Performance Trailer Braking

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info folks.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for reference going from drum to electric over hydraulic disks on my equipment trailer with 2 7K axles was a $1,500 option from the factory. I would expect aftermarket to be a $1,000 more.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Performance Trailer Brakes offers a 3500# kit on their website. I emailed them & they replied they needed a pic of the axle tag and what brake controller I'm using to determine if it would work. They have people who travel & do mobile installations.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
in ohio had it done to a boat trailer .best people to do this work is a trailer shop. place that sells and services utility trailers ,box trailers etc for us residentel owners. they work great.