cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sasha surgery today (final update)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Well today I take Sasha in to get spayed. I came back early from Georgia for this and Jury duty.
21 REPLIES 21

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Today I opened the dog door instead of putting them outside one at a time. I have a couple of happy dog's. I wish I had a fraction of their unlimited energy.

YAY!!!

If we could bottle the energy of a young dog (or a toddler!) we could make millions.....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Today I opened the dog door instead of putting them outside one at a time. I have a couple of happy dog's. I wish I had a fraction of their unlimited energy.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
We have been using the sedatives provided by the Vet to ease her โ€œrestless puppy syndromeโ€. It will be a looooong 3months.

Oooh - yeah, drugs are your friend ๐Ÿ˜‰ 3 months would seem like an eternity for my dogs, and you know what they say about Aussies: "Like a Border Collie - only with an OFF switch"....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Iโ€™m glad Sasha is doing well and she should be on the mend quickly. I feel for you trying to keep a pup calm during recovery. Our 6mo border collie pup, Hattie, just had surgery for OCD in the shoulder. They removed a flap of cartilage the size of a pinky fingernail. She is now on 3mo of restricted activity and rehab. We have been using the sedatives provided by the Vet to ease her โ€œrestless puppy syndromeโ€. It will be a looooong 3months.

We are fortunate to have a good sports medicine Vet clinic in our area with surgeons who can perform this surgery arthroscopically.

Mark
3 months would be extremely difficult with my Collie I could not imagine 3 months with a even higher engery Border Collie pup.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Sasha . . . . . just take it EASY for awhile!
I donโ€™t think easy is in Sasha's vocabulary. I'm use to having older Collies that are very mellow. I've only had to put the kibosh on her play about a dozen times today.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Two weeks for a spay is SUPER conservative, the most critical period is the first 4-5 days. After that mild exercise is usually OK (no body slams though). I feel your pain :B

Mark, I've never had an OCD patient that opted for surgery. Keep us updated on progress, and I know it's going to be a long 3 months. Maybe do mind games that require no physical exercise but will fatigue her?
The instructions they sent home they only called for 5 to 7 days. The DMV is the one that said 2 weeks for the (body slams). Sasha has a habit when being chased at full speed of diving onto her side. Tug of war with a rope is popular as well. They enjoy keep away with a tree branch or dog toy until I spoil their fun and take the branch away (worry about them swinging the branch around and hitting the other in the eye). The one thing they both enjoy that doesn't require a lot of physical activity is turning a cardboard box into confetti.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Sasha . . . . . just take it EASY for awhile!

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

dturm
Two weeks for a spay is SUPER conservative, the most critical period is the first 4-5 days. After that mild exercise is usually OK (no body slams though). I feel your pain :B

Mark, I've never had an OCD patient that opted for surgery. Keep us updated on progress, and I know it's going to be a long 3 months. Maybe do mind games that require no physical exercise but will fatigue her?
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I can see I'm not the only one with hyperactive puppy syndrome. This morning I figured the problem would be keeping 1 year old Sawyer from trying to get Sasha to play. When Sawyer did not instigate play Sasha did. I blocked the dog door and let them out one at a time to prevent this. If I did not I would have to stand outside with them preventing any fun.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m glad Sasha is doing well and she should be on the mend quickly. I feel for you trying to keep a pup calm during recovery. Our 6mo border collie pup, Hattie, just had surgery for OCD in the shoulder. They removed a flap of cartilage the size of a pinky fingernail. She is now on 3mo of restricted activity and rehab. We have been using the sedatives provided by the Vet to ease her โ€œrestless puppy syndromeโ€. It will be a looooong 3months.

We are fortunate to have a good sports medicine Vet clinic in our area with surgeons who can perform this surgery arthroscopically.

Mark
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Sasha came through the surgery just fine. NOW the most difficult part not letting Sawyer and Sasha roughhouse for two weeks. These two are use to playing hard from morning until evening.

EEEEKS! I will say a prayer for your sanity - it seems like all I do all day is break up wrestling matches between my two (Augie the 6-month old is a full-sized Aussie now; but Ben, age 6 and a whopping 19 lbs can put up a real fight....LOL!)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear she came through fine.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
They are using a laser instead of a scalpel it's supposed to cut down on blood loss and damage to surrounding tissue. Having a full blood workup as well pre surgery. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

When my pup was spayed, they left a tattoo on her belly to indicate the procedure had been done. We always referred to it as her prison tat.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
View jury duty as a public service. Hope for an interesting trial. Part of being an American. Postponement I understand, why would your local/state duty excuse you from federal service?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad