cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North Myrtle Beach to Nashville, TN

We just decided that we are changing up our summer trip a bit today. We are NOW going to spend the first half at Myrtle Beach Travel Park, then head over to the KOA in Nashville.

It LOOKS like I would most probably take 501 to 20 to 26 up to 40 and over the mountains..

Question #1 - Is there an advantage in going UP to 74 and running through Charlotte to 26??

#2 - IF we are going to stop for the night, are there more options on the EAST side, or WEST side of the mountains?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
3 REPLIES 3

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
your route looks good.

i-40 from asheville heading east can be a pain right now due to construction etc. but is usually always pretty heavy traffic.

wife and i went to gatlingburg area this past september and i-40 west of asheville into tenn was a very good calm traffic drive.

i would always avoid the charlotte area if possible. traffic is bad 7 days a week

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I make this run a lot and I think you have it right. The 501 is THE way to miss all the little towns/speedtraps. Its barely used and a very pleasant drive imo.

I'd let timing tell me where to spend the night. you Do Not want to go thru Asheville or Knoxville during rush hour.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
In my opion your stated route would be what I woud take. We go to Tabor City when we visit the Myrtle area and that is mostly what we take. I think going to 74 would take a little longer.

Myrtle to Nashville would be a long day but you could make it. I refuse to push myself that hard anymore so a good stop would be the Hendersonville/Asheville area. I'm just west of Newport TN and it takes us near 8 hrs. to get to Tabor City. I don't drive but 65-70 mph. There are quite a few parks to choose from.