Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Absolute positively the worst road ever
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Absolute positively the worst road ever

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen, our GPS is a Rand McNally for trucks and Motorhomes. It has our length, and how high. It won't take us to low overpasses, etc. Since our bad experience on 104 we bought the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas. A road that is suitable for a trucker to use is outlined in orange. If it doesn't have an orange line, we don't use it. Hwy 104 does NOT have an orange line!! We have no idea why 'She" sent us on that road!!!

pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are right accsys. That is why we bought the Motor Carrier's Atlas. We were leaving out of Las Vegas, NM and at the time figured it was a short cut to get us to our road to I-40. By the time we realized we were in deep yogurt there was no where to turn around. I wrote this as a warning to anyone who might get on this highway by mistake. DON'T DO IT!!! Experience is the best teacher. The road we actually wanted was Hwy 84 the connector to I-40.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pigfarmer: We have the original Rand McNally 7710.
We use both of the trip routing, shortest and fastest. If you wold have switched to fastest, it may have taken you straight sound to I-40!
It is a good idea to verify GPS routing on paper!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

> Some of the grade is less than 9%.

So reassuring...

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen, our Rand McNally shows the chosen route as a blue or a green. We honestly thought we were being sent to Hwy 84. You know how the GPS will send you on loops through towns to get you on your chosen route... it was too late by the time we realized we were not on the intended route. We certainly would not have gone on 104 on purpose. Can't always trust the lady in the box!!! Do you frequent FamCamps?

Mbiviano

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

104 isn't the "real" mountains in NM. Try US-64 from Taos through Angle Fire and Eagle Nest heading to Raton towing. These roads are a challenge, but I'll take them any day over the interstates in Louisiana.

Rob

x2, we ended up recently driving this west bound late at night pulling the rig, luckily we were stopping in Angel Fire. Dodging the deer might have been the worst part though! We drove the rest to Taos the next day in daylight thankfully without the rig.

Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up boondocking in a Volkswagen bug, on the kind of dirt roads where you have to put one set of wheels on the hump in the middle and the other set on the edge of the road because the ruts are so deep. And sometimes you have to get out and push.

But the road that made me cry, I was so scared, was just an ordinary mountain freeway. I was in my previous van, and this was when I first got it and hadn't yet got the custom leaf springs that got rid of its wallow.

The downgrade was only 6%, and there was a guard rail and no ice or anything. But the way that van swayed, I was terrified.

ccchuck

The Shoals, AL

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

Alcan Hwy from Destruction Bay, YT to Tok, AK

225 Miles of frost heaves and even some gravel.

Especially the last 50 miles before the Alaska border!

RVing since '74..

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Famcamps are getting too pricey and availability for short stays is nearly impossible!

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain Directory West available as either a paper copy or an app will help keep you off those kind of roads. Wouldn't travel out west without it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Absolute positively the worst road ever
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.