Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yosemite in Winter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can stay at the Valley and Upper Pines and other campgrounds are not as crowded but no hook ups.

We winter camped at 28F and in heavy snow with no problems on our Coleman Lite without heated pipes or tank.

Yes, be prepared to drive through icy roads or even be stranded inside the park when the close the roads due to heavy snowfall.

And too for driving over icy road. My 4x4 tow vehicle helped but had to crawl as some hairpin curves.

But Yosemite is absolutely beautiful and breath taking in winter and bucket list worthy.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant here has an excellent trip report about camping in the winter in Yosemite. And yes, they did get snowed in.

Yosemite is absolutely amazing! And going when it's less crowded is definitely the thing to do.

Do be aware, when you are checking distances to the park, mapping software will tell you the distance to the entrance. It is a full one hour drive from the entrance to the place you want to see, Yosemite Valley.

That means that the nearest campgrounds outside the park are an hour and a half or two hours away.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

profdant here has an excellent trip report about camping in the winter in Yosemite. And yes, they did get snowed in.

Yosemite is absolutely amazing! And going when it's less crowded is definitely the thing to do.

Do be aware, when you are checking distances to the park, mapping software will tell you the distance to the entrance. It is a full one hour drive from the entrance to the place you want to see, Yosemite Valley.

That means that the nearest campgrounds outside the park are an hour and a half or two hours away.

Oh good tip! Hmm maybe I’ll see about staying inside the park!

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the campgrounds inside the park are cheap, have flush toilets, and I could see Half Dome from my bed when I woke up in the morning and when I went to bed at night.

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

the campgrounds inside the park are cheap, have flush toilets, and I could see Half Dome from my bed when I woke up in the morning and when I went to bed at night.

Ok perfect. Which campground did you stay in there?
We just camped inside Joshua Tree NP & it was really cold at night but super quiet and amazing. Much. Prefer that than the crowds for sure.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you get a choice of campgrounds in the winter. I think they only have one open, and they rotate different ones. Just go, you will love it :-).

But bring every blanket you own, and pants and sweaters big enough to wear over several layers of long underwear. I was there at the end of April, and it was so cold I heard a woman in the bathroom complaining that her toothpaste had frozen

Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upper Pines, and only the front part of it, is the only campground the NPS keeps open in the winter. Normal February temps in Yosemite Valley are usually highs in the mid 50’s and low’s in the mid to low 30’s. Although getting heavy snow is always a possibility in the valley, it usually stays on the mild side compared to higher elevations. Thus far it has been a fairly mild winter there. Accuweather can give you a 15 day forecast. And of course carry chains and extra blankets. Winter is really nice there for avoiding the crowds of summer. As already mentioned, the natural “firewall” in February is a bonus. Should be a great trip!

E.Lee Galik

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

Nice anecdote while I just woke up looking at the enormous Half Dome while winter camping in Yosemite's Upper Pines campground, the thought runs through my mind: this is a nice way to die and be buried in case we are caught with the California big one while camping here.[emoticon]

Yeah, you can't escape and run when that happens.[emoticon]

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would look into available cabins or lodge. We like our TT but staying in it in freezing weather is not worth the anticipated trouble (like cold) and unanticipated trouble (like pipes freeze or furnace out).

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick B ~~~ WHERE ???? Reservations very slim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.