cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROUTE SUGGESTIONS

IDRW1971
Explorer
Explorer
Going to W.Yellowstone from Colorado Springs. Looks like going from Co Springs to Lander to W.Yellowstone is the least miles. It is not interstate, so I am wondering about if any bridges or any other issues. Some say to go Co Spr to Rock Springs to Idaho Falls to W.Yellowstone. Hate to add another 100 miles because we have about 8,000 during our across the US trip.
12 REPLIES 12

IDRW1971
Explorer
Explorer
thank you.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
IDRW1971 wrote:
dont know how heavy. Its a Grand Design Solitude
310 (2019)

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2020/fifth-wheel/solitude/floorplans/310GK#specs

Might be a good Idea to get an Accurate Measurement on the Height of the Trailer on your Vehicle - when empty and when full.

Requires someone to hold a stick out level and measure - we usually just take a string and when level cut it off and measure to get it correct.

Just a Thought,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

IDRW1971
Explorer
Explorer
dont know how heavy. Its a Grand Design Solitude
310 (2019)

IDRW1971
Explorer
Explorer
Lwi and 13.5 tallddis wrote:
Could be. How heavy, wide, tall and long is he?

36 ft long and 13.5 tall with ford f250. I know there are bigger ones by far, but just concerned about bridges and tunnels for ours.
Not looking at Interstate 25. Thinking of 287 or 191. I think 191 might be a nicer drive. Want to avoid going into the South end of Yellowstone and go to the town of West Yellowstone. We have 7 days there and will go south another day. We have been there 5 or 6 times before.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
IDRW1971 wrote:
We have been out west a zillion times and are going to WYS for 7 days there let alone many many many stops. We have a 36 ft 5th wheel that is 13.5 tall so I was concerned about the bridges and tunnels on what ever roads. We live in Ft Ld and will be going to: Memphis,Eureka Spr, Dodge, Co Spr, YS,Bryce-Zion, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, then down to a few stops in TX then to San Antonio, Nashville to name some stops. Like I said, many we have been to before but some want to visit again. Looking at going from Co Spr to 287 or 191 to get to Yellowstone. If we go on 191 we can miss the traffic is S YS and go directly to WYS where we will camp 15 min N oF WYS. We have 7 days there, so we will do the S end with just the truck.

Sorry to have missed your Mission. -

Couple things that would have helped in getting a more legitimate/helpful reply - The fact that the rig is 13.5' tall, would have helped - Never seen one that tall but what would I know without some factual info like, type of 5th wheel.:h Second your join date and the fact that you have only 3-4 posts would indicate you Just Might be a Rookie.:S

While I have not yet been out West a Zillion times, yet, I go at least a couple times a year and have a couple hundred thousand miles out there, ..... I always look to make the Drive as good as the Destination - .....with Yellowstone being the destination, that requires a pretty good Drive.:R

So, Sorry, to have not been of any help - Might work on your signature so we would have an idea as to the type of RV'er you are ..........not that you just joined and didn't know to fill out the Signature part of the registration.;)

Time of year would also help, as you are well aware of the Heat in the Summer of Utah - so it is a much more friendly place in the Shoulder seasons..........But I'm sure you have that factored into your Zillion and 1st trip.

Look over these to see if they might help; State DOT's are the best place to get honest info.

https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home.html

https://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100:6:0::::V,T:,1

Similar post with similar replies you might enjoy.

Enjoy the Rockies and the Southwest - so much to see and Never.....Never Enough TIME!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

IDRW1971
Explorer
Explorer
Missouri-went there 2 years ago. What a wonderful surprise that state was. Picked it because we had never been there. Went to Eureka Springs, St Louis, Dogwood Park, Springfield Johnny Morris aquarium-the BEST! Didnt like Branson, but went to 2 shows there. Went to several rivers where people go to for swimming. Went to 2 state parks that were pretty but not much to do there and the towns near them were very tiny with nothing to do. That trip was one I recommend a lot.
ANother is Oregon-the fruit loop and on the ocean-Golden Beach is Jerrys boats-bestever boat ride. Amazing how the Oregon coast dont seem to appreciate how beautiful it is. I get that its too cold to swim in, but the views!
We just retired. WHen working we would travel by plane and then we had 3 weeks to travel. We have been very fortunate in many travels that were beyond great. I put probably 50-70 hours into each trip just checking things out and booking.

IDRW1971
Explorer
Explorer
We have been out west a zillion times and are going to WYS for 7 days there let alone many many many stops. We have a 36 ft 5th wheel that is 13.5 tall so I was concerned about the bridges and tunnels on what ever roads. We live in Ft Ld and will be going to: Memphis,Eureka Spr, Dodge, Co Spr, YS,Bryce-Zion, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, then down to a few stops in TX then to San Antonio, Nashville to name some stops. Like I said, many we have been to before but some want to visit again. Looking at going from Co Spr to 287 or 191 to get to Yellowstone. If we go on 191 we can miss the traffic is S YS and go directly to WYS where we will camp 15 min N oF WYS. We have 7 days there, so we will do the S end with just the truck.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
IDRW1971 wrote:
Going to W.Yellowstone from Colorado Springs.

Looks like going from Co Springs to Lander to W.Yellowstone is the least miles.

It is not interstate, so I am wondering about if any bridges or any other issues.

Some say to go Co Spr to Rock Springs to Idaho Falls to W.Yellowstone.

Hate to add another 100 miles

because we have about 8,000 during our across the US trip.

If I understand the Question you are out on a Tour of the USA - to SEE the Sites and you are going from Colorado to West Yellowstone.

May I be so bold to offer a much more Beautiful drive that will allow you to see more of the Rockies that you may Enjoy?

ImHO if you are traveling around the USA and the number of Miles you are driving is the Leading Concern you may need to really Think about your Mission! You are in the Middle of Colorado, which IMHO is almost Heaven.

Sorry if this is not a direct answer to your question as it just ........well just not right to not endeavor to try to see more not less as you drive from destination to destination.

My simple/easy/recommended/short drive would be Colorado Springs to Buena Vista/Collegiates/Independence Pass/Twin Lakes/Leadville/Arkansas River/Browns Canyon to Dino National Monument - catching Camp Hale/Red Cliff/Minturn/Aspen/Maroon Bells/Glenwood Springs/Rifle State Park/ as you drive along the way then Flaming Gorge to Alpine to Jackson to the Tetons up through Yellowstone and out to West Yellowstone.

Map of the general Route Just a beautiful Drive that has a little to see along the way 🙂

If you insist on your Lander Route you need to be aware of I-25 traffic which can in and of itself be just Gruelling on all in the vehicle - You will pass the opportunity to see RT 6 drive/Golden/Boulder/Peak to Peak drive/RMNP/RT 34 0r 36/Snowy Range/Wind River Canyon/Cody Chief Joseph Highway Beartooth.............the list goes on.

To simply answer your question about most routes in the West - Bridges when encountered usually work - Restricted Roads are marked (Independence Pass) - Interstates are filled with Trucks and generally pretty bumpy - Side roads are Better and there is more to see and do than you can possible accomplish id a lifetime much less in one Trip.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We basically went that way but we started west of RMNP and up thru WY from there. As Bud notes, good scenery and roads.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Could be. How heavy, wide, tall and long is he?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No bridge issues! Lots of great scenery.
Slow traffic through south loop within Yellowstone.
Caution! Steep long down grade east of Moran Junction.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bridge issues? How heavy, tall, long is your RV?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad