Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV for Central America Trip

RV_BAR
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We are taking our kids (ages 5, 7, 11) on a one year trip in an RV from NY to Panama. We have looked at various different RVs out there and we want to make sure the RV is big enough to fit us and and the same time make sure it is not too big for the central american roads. We feel somewhere around 25"-26" is probably our best bet.
We have found these two that have the best floor plans that we liked.
What do you think of them?
Is one better from the other?
Will they survive this trip?

https://www.mikethompson.com/inv/2018-Winnebago-Minnie-Winnie-25B-Colton-P5876R/

https://www.mikethompson.com/inv/2019-Coachmen-Leprechaun-MH-230CB-Colton-P5885R/

Thanks,
30 REPLIES 30

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
one thing not discussed is the type of fuel to have. Mex gas is not the same as found here in the US. Many vehicles I believe us diesel down there. So you should plan to research fuel types and octane ratings available, carry a good supply of filters as I dont think there are autozones on the corners. We were in mex a month or so ago and a guy was crossing into the US to buy parts for his car, forget the brand but he said nothing available south of the border.

So just something to think about. Also have some concern about travel in mex as there have been headlines that some target americans such as the family that was killed and the other that was attacked. I guess coordination with the police down there might be required?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Vehicle wise, I still think you’re looking at far too new of a rig for a trip into the unknown.

There are just too many 10-20 year old RVs with super low miles and in good shape for 1/2 of what even a 5 year old would cost.
And then beating it up potentially won’t hurt your wallet as much.
But when you mention “learn the mechanics” and 6 months in the same sentence, that means you’re not already mechanically saavy and 6 months is not much time to learn how to repair a vehcile or RV. So buy in good condition

I agree with both parts of this statement.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PartyOf Five wrote:
If you've traveled into rural areas and can handle yourself, I'd worry less- we heard all kinds of tales and warnings about going to Alaska but it was much milder, and the rig did much better, than I feared.
Knock on wood...

I don’t like doing the negativity thing like some of the grandfarts on here, and think it’s an awesome adventure in the making.
But to compare the dangers of going to Alaska (people) vs Mexico and Central America is like assuming every bear in AK has a gun and is trying to steal your money not your picnic basket.

Vehicle wise, I still think you’re looking at far too new of a rig for a trip into the unknown.
There are just too many 10-20 year old RVs with super low miles and in good shape for 1/2 of what even a 5 year old would cost.
And then beating it up potentially won’t hurt your wallet as much.
But when you mention “learn the mechanics” and 6 months in the same sentence, that means you’re not already mechanically saavy and 6 months is not much time to learn how to repair a vehcile or RV. So buy in good condition
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
People that are fretting about safety in S America should stay away from Miami. Also Tampa, some horrible things happening in Tampa. Also all Texas beach's, A couple in an RV were just abducted and killed there.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For those two particular rigs, I think the Winnebago is probably slightly better constructed than the Coachmen, at least based on brand alone. With any used RV the quality of care the previous owner gave is a very important consideration, and often trumps any difference in initial build quality (more so the older it is). However, I'd be more concerned about the layout and what works for you than the differences between makes. For instance, despite the gushing ad copy the dealership put together, one appeared to have just enough counter space in the kitchen to put down a spoon or a pepper shaker, but not both at the same time, while the other has at least a square foot more.

The appliances and other parts of the systems come from the same few companies regardless of who makes the RV, so there's not a lot to differentiate in them. The differences between brands are mainly in such things as roof and wall design/construction, attention to detail (which is rarely a strong point for anyone), etc.

Unlike some others here, I don't think it's at all unrealistic to expect that the appliances will generally work fine for the whole trip, nor for that matter that the chassis will hold up without major problems. There very well may be minor problems and being handy and having a few tools and basic parts is a very good idea. There are a lot of parts to be finicky, but on the whole an RV is not quite the soap bubble that some seem to imply. That said, they aren't overbuilt at all, and one does need to be wise and take care and treat things with an appropriate degree of gentleness.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV_BAR wrote:
RV_BAR wrote:

https://www.mikethompson.com/inv/2018-Winnebago-Minnie-Winnie-25B-Colton-P5876R/

https://www.mikethompson.com/inv/2019-Coachmen-Leprechaun-MH-230CB-Colton-P5885R/

Thanks a lot for the concern of our safety. I really appreciate it but I am pretty sure whoever wrote those comments has not done such a trip before. We have traveled (as a family) to most of the countries we will be visiting and we really love them a lot. The question is not if we should go but with what vehicle to do it.

Again, it will help a lot to get some advise on the rigs I have posted and to hear if any of you have experience with them.
Thanks a lot!

Here's a great site for some research on what vehicles others are using for travel:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/?s=991d46d892eec8d05fe155eb9c18c7ca

The only overall comments I would make are to choose for ruggedness, reliability, and repairability. Hence stay as small as you can for your family, do not choose an RV with slides, and stay with the tried and true Ford E450 chassis if possible. You also might want to carry two full spare tires.

Good luck ... and if it happens let us all know - with photos. 🙂
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RV_BAR
Explorer
Explorer
RV_BAR wrote:

Thanks a lot for the concern of our safety. I really appreciate it but I am pretty sure whoever wrote those comments has not done such a trip before. We have traveled (as a family) to most of the countries we will be visiting and we really love them a lot. The question is not if we should go but with what vehicle to do it.

Again, it will help a lot to get some advise on the rigs I have posted and to hear if any of you have experience with them.
Thanks a lot!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
noteven wrote:
Sounds like maybe a job for a school bus conversion? Rugged vehicles that have common commercial truck maintenance parts, cubbards that won’t fall apart cause you installed them, lots of tank capacity...etc

Check CAREFULLY with each country to verify that a school bus conversion would be allowed vs being considered a commercial vehicle.

I am not suggesting this will be a problem, but there ARE "got-ya's" with 1 ton dually's into Mexico being one.

Yes you would want to have the vehicle re-registered as a motorhome not a bus.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Just an observation, but I hate to see a "please help me choose the correct rig for the trip I have planned" thread

TURNED INTO A

Why you should not do XYZ.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Being in Central American countries from Mexico to Panama via cruise ship shore excursions and similar, I would think twice about driving from the USA to Panama. I would be concerned for our safety. Americans in a motor home with USA plates, will stick out like a ripe piece of fruit on the vine. There is a steady stream of illegal migrants walking north on major roads. Most people are good, but there are some really bad apples too. People in hard times can get desperate.

It's not much different as buying a brand new Corvette convertible, put the top down, have $100 bills sticking out from my hat, crank up the stereo, and drive through the worst of neighborhoods in Chicago in the summertime. It's the perfect way to commit suicide without voiding my life insurance.

Also, like others here mentioned, repairs will surface often, resources for replacement parts will be few, and reputable service centers less yet. Pending the type of repair and location, you could find yourself stranded for months.

As much as I would love to RV all the way to the southern tip of South America, I will never take our motor home south of the border.

Call me paranoid.

I agree somewhat with Ron above - in that "If you're not paranoid, then you're not paying attention."

That being said, I have read some articles on how over-landers travel in 2nd/3rd-world countries and remote places all over the world. They are usually doing it with no children, or with one or two children at most. They usually have a small rig that is popular and somewhat common - or manufactured in - the part of the world where they plan on traveling ... for both ease of parts availability and knowledge by the locals on how to get parts quickly and repair the chassis using those parts. Usually their rigs are diesel - as that appears to be the most common fuel used for vehicles in other than the U.S.. I get the impression that "gasoline" is more of a U.S. type of fuel.

BTW ... have you considered, instead, a long tour of the U.S. with your family in a U.S. built Class C motorhome? We have toured the U.S. on both a 9000 mile trip and a 10,000 mile trip. We concentrated on the back roads and out-of-the-way obscure places and things to see. We camped in our Class C in campgrounds of all types and also boondocked in remote places on these trips.

There is a lot to see in the U.S. if you get off the beaten path, for example:

- How about drycamping in a field next to, and enjoying the music of a Blue Grass festival in the Eastern U.S. hill country?
- How about drycamping at a farm way out in the countryside?
- How about drycamping in the boondocks along the Salmon river in Idaho?
- How about stopping to see dinosaur prints out in the middle of nowhere and being the only people there?
- How about canoeing in the morning on a pristine and sparkling lake in Maine to photograph moose grazing along the shore?
- How about boondock camping way out there in Death Valley and eating popcorn around the evening fire?
- How about shopping for handmade goods on family farms in the Amish countryside?
- How about drycamping on an island in the Great Salt Lake and watching the buffalo graze?
- How about shopping, eating, and overnight camping your way along the world's longest garage sale (100+ plus miles long)?
- How about standing on the shore and looking out at the water where Blackbeard's ship sank just off shore?
- How about visiting with biologists as they release Condors into the wild and then camping out there in the boondocks?

Don't sell the good old U.S. short. In my opinion - do it first before you visit other countries.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
If you've traveled into rural areas and can handle yourself, I'd worry less- we heard all kinds of tales and warnings about going to Alaska but it was much milder, and the rig did much better, than I feared.
Knock on wood...
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Being in Central American countries from Mexico to Panama via cruise ship shore excursions and similar, I would think twice about driving from the USA to Panama. I would be concerned for our safety. Americans in a motor home with USA plates, will stick out like a ripe piece of fruit on the vine. There is a steady stream of illegal migrants walking north on major roads. Most people are good, but there are some really bad apples too. People in hard times can get desperate.

It's not much different as buying a brand new Corvette convertible, put the top down, have $100 bills sticking out from my hat, crank up the stereo, and drive through the worst of neighborhoods in Chicago in the summertime. It's the perfect way to commit suicide without voiding my life insurance.

Also, like others here mentioned, repairs will surface often, resources for replacement parts will be few, and reputable service centers less yet. Pending the type of repair and location, you could find yourself stranded for months.

As much as I would love to RV all the way to the southern tip of South America, I will never take our motor home south of the border.

Call me paranoid.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
switch the dinette or couch to a bed and back again?

This gets old, REAL QUICK.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
RV_BAR wrote:
we are taking our kids (ages 5, 7, 11) on a one year trip in an RV from NY to Panama. We have looked at various different RVs out there and we want to make sure the RV is big enough to fit us and and the same time make sure it is not too big for the central american roads. We feel somewhere around 25"-26" is probably our best bet.

Smaller is better, Closer to 20'

RV_BAR wrote:
Will they survive this trip?

The older I get, the LESS "adventurous" I get ! Will ANY RV survive a trip like that ? Maybe ! I guarantee every major applioance will break down at least once. You will have plumbing and electrical problems. Water leaks could be an issue also.

If I really wanted to do a trip like that, I would have a custom made RV "built like a brick sh!t house" ! Thicker wall and roof with more insulation and structure. Maybe even a "honeycomb" composite (non-wood) floor. Commercial grade TPO roofing.

On most of your trip, if something breaks, it will be up to you to fix it or jerry-rig an alternative. Tools (and the experience to use them) are a must. Spare parts are a must.