cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt problems

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for looking at my post.. ok I replaced my house batteries because I let them go way below 12 volts and I killed them. but my problem is after I replaced the batteries and now they will not charge. they will not charge when plugged into shore power as well. the only time they are charging is when the alternator and engine are running. I also checked when the generator is running and still no charge. is their a reset button somewhere on the mh for letting the batteries get to low? I have a 2008 fourwinds hurricane in the 34b on a ford chassis. thanks again

pete
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
peterman1 wrote:
Yes disconnect is in the on position. One more thing when at a camp ground plugged into shore power and the disconnect put in the off position I loose my 12 volts lights but everything else works like tv wall plugs just no lights till place the disconnect back in the on position

Ok beyond a question the converter is not putting out current to the house/battery.>

Now there are 3 common causes (and one more not so common)

1: Tripped circuit breaker 120 volt panel usually marked CONV or something like that
2: Blown fuses. Reverse polarity 1,2 or 3. 30 amp fuses NOTE if one is blown all are blown So if there are 2 or 3 UNPLUG and Disconnect batteries before replacing or they will blow fast as you put 'em in . Once you have all of them replaced (if they need it) reconnect and plug in (NOTE if you put batteries in bass ackwards they will blow again, that's why they are REVERSE POLARITY fuses).

3: Converter is toast. If converter is part of power distribution panel get a Progressive Dynamics 4600. match the last two digits as close as you can to existing unit.

IF it's a deck mount (Stand alone) 9200 same with the last 2

And the 4th one that bites me fairly often but is actually not all that common

Mine is a PD 9180 with optional wizard (Functionally identically to 9200 every bit as good) PLUG IN model. this means it has a cord and in my case a 20 amp plug (Neutral is sideways). that occasionally falls OUT of the socket it's plugged into. When that happens. it don't work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a circuit breaker near the battery and make sure it's passing power
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. From your last post, the CONVERTER is not getting power to the battery. So, either the 120 power to the Converter is OFF or your converter Fuses are blown or the Converter is BAD
2. You need to find the Converter.
3. Gensets do NOT charge batteries. They just supply 120 power to the RV and the Converter then charges the battery. Doug

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes disconnect is in the on position. One more thing when at a camp ground plugged into shore power and the disconnect put in the off position I loose my 12 volts lights but everything else works like tv wall plugs just no lights till place the disconnect back in the on position

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Battery disconnect on??
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Battery disconnect??
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the converter output.. There is 1 2 or 3 fuses. normally 30 amp, that protect the converter. also circuit breakers, and of course your battery disconnect switch.

It is also possible the converter is toast. a voltmeter is your friend here
Also a 12 volt test light.. For many many tests the light is faster cause BRIGHT good DARK not so much.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Find your converter aka 120 to 14v charger
Bad batteries might have blown the fuses or tripped the circuit breaker, check your 120v circuit breakers
The breaker for the converter might be tripped
Also up front under the hatch
Look for the BCC aka battery control center
Black box approx 6" by 10" lots of wires going in
Cover pops off
Has relays and dc circuit breakers and fuses
Might have tripped the charge breaker

Assuming you have 12v power inside the RV From the charged batteries for the things that need it
It should be one of the things i listed
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s