Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help finding fresh date Tires

LaOrange
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I am trying to help out a friend. He is looking to replace the tires on his class A
He curently has Michelin 22 / 80 tires that are about 6 years old. While looking he is not
haveing any luck on finding freash dated tires, or they will not guarantee the dates.
He lives in South Louisana.
Any help would be great
Thanks. Michael

La.Orange

20 REPLIES 20

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
henleyd wrote:
I had mich. 22’s and just went to Toyos. Just a fraction diff n size, much less $ and rode as good as Mich. Date is close to manuf date. Heck, when I got my bus, the orig tires were already 6 months old. Hard to get close to manuf date, but my Toyo dealer did great. $2600, 6 tires, mount, balanced, and out the door. I went in w cash and negotiated, and got a deal $500 less than Michelin’s. I had my orig tires 6.5 years, started sidewall cracking and 22,000 miles. Cash is king. And again, look at Toyos. A pleasant surprise.

I just got this week 6 Toyos 255 70R 22.5 M122 Load H tires in the Tucson area Out The Door for $2499 at a well respected local tire dealer for my 05 Monaco Cayman 36 PDQ DP.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
henleyd wrote:
I had mich. 22’s and just went to Toyos. Just a fraction diff n size, much less $ and rode as good as Mich. Date is close to manuf date. Heck, when I got my bus, the orig tires were already 6 months old. Hard to get close to manuf date, but my Toyo dealer did great. $2600, 6 tires, mount, balanced, and out the door. I went in w cash and negotiated, and got a deal $500 less than Michelin’s. I had my orig tires 6.5 years, started sidewall cracking and 22,000 miles. Cash is king. And again, look at Toyos. A pleasant surprise.

And you most likely won't be seeing any sidewall cracking in the next 6.5 yrs either, like one can expect with Michelins.

A bit off topic, but when we sold one of our MH's a few years back the tires were 5 years old. No sidewall cracking at all and tread was great. However in an inspection they showed cracks between the treads and we were required to replace them. The point, I was told that sidewall cracks happen after it's too late, cracks between the treads happen much sooner and more difficult to detect.

I've seen the cracking between the threads as well and on Michelins that I changed out, when purchasing a used coach in 07.
Sidewall cracking was really apparent on this one until the rears were pulled and for seeing it, on the inside dually sidewalls, as well.
Anyway no Michelins since and for any other over priced tire, for that matter. I mean there's only so many ways to engineer a tire folks and for still meeting DOT approval. Even if they could get by with junk, it wouldn't be long before they'd be out of business and especially with all the lawsuits, that would come with it.
My cheapo Hercules tires, owned by Cooper, have been around for over 50 years, so they must be doing something right.........
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
tropical36 wrote:
henleyd wrote:

And you most likely won't be seeing any sidewall cracking in the next 6.5 yrs either, like one can expect with Michelins.

A bit off topic, but when we sold one of our MH's a few years back the tires were 5 years old. No sidewall cracking at all and tread was great. However in an inspection they showed cracks between the treads and we were required to replace them. The point, I was told that sidewall cracks happen after it's too late, cracks between the treads happen much sooner and more difficult to detect.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
henleyd wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Not applicable

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the other posts. I have ordered three sets of tires since I have owned our motorhome. I have always requested no dates older than 6 months. Twice some of the tires were older when they came in but the dealers caught that and reordered newer ones.

It seems to be difficult to order absolutely new tires.

My dealer said they do not make motorhome tires daily they make them on cycles.
🙂 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought mine we discussed the "age out" before "wear out" issue and the dealer was sympathetic. He ordered 8 new tires so all had 6 week fresh date codes.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they are in stock, should be an easy check.

Buy popular tires, and likely you'll have fresher tires. Try to save 50 cents by buying a cheap brand, probably not as likely.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I use Amerca's Tire. I insisted on fresh tires for my rig and they got them. Don't know if they are in your area. Also lately Consumer Reports gave them a good score.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why does it matter? Most tire shops/warehouses I've been to are inside and out of UV exposure which is the biggest killer to tires -surrounded by thousands of other tires. If they are 6 mos or 12 mos old, who cares? The lifecycle should pretty much start when you put them on your coach - when they start getting exposed to elements and sun. Whenever I got new tires for a previous MH's I never even bothered to look at the dates. Inspect them every year and knowing I will replace in 6-7 years from when I bought them. Never had an issue. Sorry, I don't get the fuss. If you buy an RV off the lot - a leftover 2019 with 2018 or older tires, do you replace those tires at 5 years or 7?

Some would say that a certain amount of deterioration takes place, anyway, but I do see where you're coming from and have often felt the same way.
However if at all possible, I would still go with the latest production and if not for any other reason, it would be for thinking ahead and for a possible resell of the coach or for trading it in.
This usually is taken into account and no one at that point, will take the install date very seriously, if it should come under discussion in the first place.
Good that you haven't had a problem though and I'm faced with the same thing now and wondering when they should be changed, even though a ways to go yet, either way.

You are correct. Tires have waxes and additives added when the tire is made. The stress tires have on them in use forces these oils to the surface giving protection to the tires. Oxidization also affects the interior of a tire while sitting on a shelf. Since tires on a motor home or my dually cost a lot I prefer to have current dates.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why does it matter? Most tire shops/warehouses I've been to are inside and out of UV exposure which is the biggest killer to tires -surrounded by thousands of other tires. If they are 6 mos or 12 mos old, who cares? The lifecycle should pretty much start when you put them on your coach - when they start getting exposed to elements and sun. Whenever I got new tires for a previous MH's I never even bothered to look at the dates. Inspect them every year and knowing I will replace in 6-7 years from when I bought them. Never had an issue. Sorry, I don't get the fuss. If you buy an RV off the lot - a leftover 2019 with 2018 or older tires, do you replace those tires at 5 years or 7?

Some would say that a certain amount of deterioration takes place, anyway, but I do see where you're coming from and have often felt the same way.
However if at all possible, I would still go with the latest production and if not for any other reason, it would be for thinking ahead and for a possible resell of the coach or for trading it in.
This usually is taken into account and no one at that point, will take the install date very seriously, if it should come under discussion in the first place.
Good that you haven't had a problem though and I'm faced with the same thing now and wondering when they should be changed, even though a ways to go yet, either way.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber ages, even if on a shelf.

Think of that rubber band in a nice clean drawer. How good is it a year or two later???

On a motorhome you will be replacing the tires because they age out, not because you wear out the tread.

I would sure not want to pay the same price for tires you can use for 4 instead of, say 6 years.....
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your friend needs to lay out his manufacture date limits to tire dealers. They either say “yes” or “no.” Keep looking until one agrees. Not rocket science.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad