cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

agm battery life

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
question buddy has two durcell 31 agm batteries he wants to sell ,used them for three years in a cabin for lights etc. he now has electric. is there much life left in these? I been thinking about a using them in my little boat with a 12v trolling motor. he took them back an forth to recharge them . any opinions appr.
8 REPLIES 8

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one in my small Casita for the last 5 years. Excellent battery. Bought Vmax from Amazon with free shipping included.
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
AGM’s can last along time if charged correctly. I had one in my Excursion. It was 9 years old when I sold it. Still in good shape. If your using them for a trolling motor I would consider them.

As long as you have the required paddle on board I would use them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Midnightsadie,

If you wish to save money consider getting reconditioned telecom jars from an Interstate battery store. They come with a 90 day warranty.

Do measure them to see if they will fit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks, I,ll pass he wants $90ea for them .I,ll put the extra in and get new.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If they had been maintained by a solar charging system, I'd be interested. But back and forth? Nope, not for me.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Agree with RobWNY. It isn’t a question of age, it’s a question of charge/discharge cycles and depth of discharge. If taken to near complete exhaustion, they might be completely killed in only a couple hundred cycles. At best, they are good for maybe 1500 cycles, but that also depends on their design.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Too many variables to even guess how much life is left in them. If they're still good and he's giving them to you, you aren't out anything if they don't last other than your time and effort. If he wants $$ for them, I wouldn't bother.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine are still going strong after 6 years. Have no idea how much longer they will last.