Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Towing what is safe to tow with 2012 Tahoe

dystonic
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I'm new to towing. Been learning quite a bit reading posts here and there. This community is great.

I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe that is equipped with the Heavy Duty Trailering package. I want to list out some numbers and see what you think would be a good weight to tow safely.

GVWR = 7,300
Curb Weight = 5,567
I expect around 500lbs additional payload (wife, 4 kids under 10).
Max Towing Capacity (8,200) based on Chevy's specs with the HD Tow Package.

From what I've gathered reading here is that payload is really going to be my restricting factor. I don't want to max out anything. I've been looking at trailers under 4,000 dry (5,100 GVWR), with a length of around 25 feet.

I know bigger is always better when it comes to tow vehicles, but want to get your thoughts. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Like other people said, you can pull it but the ideal situation would be to have a 3:73 in the differential. I am guessing you have a 3:42 in there now. Just watch the heat in the tranny.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget about towing capacity of 8200 lbs. That was calculated without passengers and cargo. That's not how we go camping. As you load up the tow vehicle, it's "true" towing capacity is going down.

Your Tahoe has multiple (inter-related) ratings that dictate what the vehicle can carry or tow. It has a payload rating (what is can carry) that, if exceeded, it also exceeds GVWR and very likely exceeds GCVWR, even though the loaded weight of your trailer is lower than that mythical "max tow weight rating".

The reason payload is very important in towing a travel trailer is, the tow vehicle is actually carrying (not towing) on average 12 - 13 percent of the trailer's weight. At times it is higher.

On your drivers door post, there is a tire / loading sticker. It has a number for your particular Tahoe's capacity to carry the combined weight of people, pets, cargo, weight distributing hitch / equipment, and trailer tongue weight. That number will be listed as "max occupant / cargo weight capacity".

Take that number and subtract your families weight, subtract 100 lbs for hitch equipment, subtract the weight of any aftermarket accessories added to the Tahoe, and subtract weight of car seats, luggage or anything else you would carry in the Tahoe. Whatever you have left is payload capacity available for carrying tongue weight.

Once you know what your capacity is to carry tongue weight, divide that number by .13, and that will be a ball park number for loaded trailer weight that puts you Tahoe at, or near, it's payload capacity and it's GVWR. Say for example, you have 700 lbs payload available ---(700 divided by .13) comes out to 5385 lbs of loaded trailer weight. An 8200 lb trailer would need 1066 lbs available.

When you go trailer shopping, keep in mind, sales people will be talking unloaded (UVW / dry) and gross (GVWR) trailer weights, neither of which are you likely to be towing. They do that because they have no idea what you're going to carry in the trailer. Only time you'll be close to UVW is when you pick up the trailer from the dealer. The average load is 800 to 1000 lbs, and that is usually below what the trailer could carry.

Give yourself some cushion because (1) the closer you get to max weight, the more unpleasant towing will be, and (2) tongue weight is not a constant number. It fluctuates up and back down, during every trip.

You're looking at trailers that are in the right weight class and should be good to go, unless you've underestimated your cargo / passenger weight, or, unless your Tahoe has a low payload capacity.

Good luck
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with a 2015 Tahoe that had 1595 pounds of payload capacity...TT was/is 5200 pounds loaded and wet...and was happy. Would have been okay to 6000 but no more. Does your Tahoe have auto level? You’ll need something.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would say your good to go as well. It sounds like you've done your homework.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Your weights seem reasonable. To be near your listed weights but still have room for a family of 6 I would recommend looking at hybrid trailers. Short tow length, lighter weight but opens up to a much larger space. Personally something like a Rockwood Roo 183 would be on my list with a young large family.
Like this.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

blt2ski
I'll say go for it too. You may be a bit slower than you like, but the Tahoe will get you their safely. Assuming balanced et correctly!

Now my cavete! 4 kids.......them kiddos grow at 10 lbs or so per year....by the time they are adult sized teens, that Tahoe will have lost any and ALL excess payload you currently have. An eight lug 25/35 series rig need to be on the horizon, just from a payload standpoint, to pull a trailer that size. My family of six weighed in at around 1200+/- lbs when my kids were adult sized teens. Been there done that. My trailer was upwards of 7000 total, 600-800 hitch weight and 25' long. We loaded upwards of 3000 lbs into my SW crew cab 3500 all inclusive people, he, dogs, bikes canoe etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You're good, go for it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Intelligence209
Explorer
Explorer
I recently owned a 18, suburban with tow package and all etc.

Do you have the air ride leveling suspension?

But from what you posted, i would see 0 problem with your towing. A sway control hitch is always a plus to have, and i personally went for a shorter trailer in height(10ft 11in) over some of the taller ones that i seen such as 12 or 13 to have better control.