Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Dual Fuel Generators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dual Fuel Generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a tri-fuel converted Yamaha EF2600 that is 14 years old and has 308 hours on it. Ran it on gas for the first 20 hours or so, then oiled the tank and haven't used gas since....only natural gas or propane.

I use it on propane when needed for dry camping....only about once per year and natural gas for power outages. Works great and makes full power on natural gas or propane...doesn't handle large surges as well on vapor gas.

Extremely happy with the flexibility and performance.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

You are correct that I'm looking strictly for S&B house. I would love to have one for natural gas, unfortunately, we don't have gas lines where I'm at, so it isn't an option. I don't worry as much about gasoline. I use non-ethanol in all my small engines with stabilizer when they aren't going to be used regularly. I don't have an issue with running a genny monthly to keep it running well. I do that with my chainsaw and other less-used small engines now.

Not having access to natural gas is not really a big deal.
Plus you have a "bonus" that you can obtain non-ethanol gasoline!
Another "plus" - propane not only eliminates any carb problems (dirty jets, etc.) - but it burns very clean.

Back in the 70's (gas lines, etc.) several friends converted their pickups to (only) propane fuel.
One of those guys eventually had high mileage on his Chev 454 engine. Thought it was time to tear it down for a re-build.

He said he never should have bothered! Engine "internals" were in great shape - no signs of sludge, etc.

Costco usually stocks the Champion brand of "portable" dual fuel gens.
Not "portable" as what you would want to put in the back of your pickup - but portable nonetheless.

Good price, & Champion has a great customer service reputation.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

You are correct that I'm looking strictly for S&B house. I would love to have one for natural gas, unfortunately, we don't have gas lines where I'm at, so it isn't an option. I don't worry as much about gasoline. I use non-ethanol in all my small engines with stabilizer when they aren't going to be used regularly. I don't have an issue with running a genny monthly to keep it running well. I do that with my chainsaw and other less-used small engines now.

So stock up on what you want or expect to need for propane and then if something is coming in, make sure your vehicle(s) fuel tanks are full. That should give you 20+ gallons each of gas in a nice storage tank plus what you have in any gas cans. Before I converted my honda to trifuel I figured I normally have 10 gallons of gas in cans for my motorcycles and lawn gear plus two cars with 20 gallon tanks. that and a syphon hose gave me 50 gallons of gas if the need arose.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dual Fuel Generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.