cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happened to Side entry?

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a lack of Side entry options in the current newish models... With the exception of the Lance 855S, to get a side entry you have to go with an 11' model. Now I have only looked at Host, EC, Adventurer, Lance, and Northern Lite but seems less than five years ago there were several options for Side entry from those manufacturers. Have they solved the issue of having to keep climbing over the trailer tongue or unhooking to enter? Just curious, I know those that tow for the most part prefer Side entry...

JJ
16 REPLIES 16

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
For rear entry with a trailer in tow, I built a fold-down porch with custom scissor steps.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
Buzzcut1 wrote:
My friends just bought a Lance 1162. it has a landing and side steps (OEM) that allow them easy rear door access without disconnecting the horse trailer.

The larger bumper on the Lance, adventurer and Cirrus does give you a landing but also requires you have use a longer receiver extension to tow. It was one of the things I was factored when buying my Arctic Fox over the Adventurer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
I just looked at an Eagle Cap 1200 a few hours ago at the local RV show. Side Entry.

Wasnโ€™t wanting to go that big...

JJ

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to include the Northstar STC as a side entry option.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I just looked at an Eagle Cap 1200 a few hours ago at the local RV show. Side Entry.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
My friends just bought a Lance 1162. it has a landing and side steps (OEM) that allow them easy rear door access without disconnecting the horse trailer.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Host McKinley was 8 1/2 and side entry. ..

For short bed and you better keep skipping the deserts.

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Host McKinley was 8 1/2 and side entry.

I don't find the center door to be that big of an issue with trailer. The Fox Landing is Northwoods solution that folds down over a trailer tongue.

I had forgot about the Fox landing...

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
jerryleejr wrote:
Now I have only looked at Host, EC, Adventurer, Lance, and Northern Lite but seems less than five years ago there were several options for Side entry from those manufacturers.
JJ

I don't believe that Northern Lite has ever had a side entry model.

- Mark0.

They may not have, those were just the manufacturers I have looked at...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Host McKinley was 8 1/2 and side entry.

I don't find the center door to be that big of an issue with trailer. The Fox Landing is Northwoods solution that folds down over a trailer tongue.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
jerryleejr wrote:
Now I have only looked at Host, EC, Adventurer, Lance, and Northern Lite but seems less than five years ago there were several options for Side entry from those manufacturers.
JJ

I don't believe that Northern Lite has ever had a side entry model.

- Mark0.

Bedlam
I know Host will offset the rear door to the far right in its models so it is next to the trailer tongue instead of over it.

It looks like you need at least 2' overhang for a side door, so you are looking at 9'+ campers for short beds or 10.5'+ for long beds.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
the Outfitter RV Truck camper Juno 10 is an side door model.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
The 855S is not a side entry model.
Lance made an 830 in the past which was a side entry SB model but the door was pretty narrow.

You are correct to many models running thru my head, I know in the past host I offered it on the aspen and Rainer?

JJ