cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about PC's..

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
My wifes Dell desktop All-In-One PC is starting to have issues and needs replacement soon.. just seeking thoughts.. If you were buying a new Desktop All-in-one PC, would you get one with or without a CD drive? She hasn't used the one in her current desktop as long as I can remember.. Only advantage I can see is loading new programs but.... most are downloads anyway..Just seeking thoughts.. Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Check out the Microsoft Surface Pro- personally, I hate Ms and Windows but my sister swears by it.

In case anybody cares, I hate Apple and iOS.

So do I, thatโ€™s why all my computers run Ubuntu, but for my use the only thing I have used the dvd drive for is ripping an audio cd- I see no use for an optical drive.
-- Chris Bryant

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The OP was talking about a specific form factor which didn't include laptops, tablets or chromebooks.

As already mentioned, you can purchase a USB CD/DVD/Bluetooth drive for next to nothing. In the unlikely event you need it, just plug it in.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Chris Bryant wrote:
Check out the Microsoft Surface Pro- personally, I hate Ms and Windows but my sister swears by it.

In case anybody cares, I hate Apple and iOS.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
No CD/DVD drive necessary for my Computers. Get a cheap USB DVD drive and stash it for the
rare times you might need it. Will work with any computer.

That's what I did. I rarely need it, but when I do need it I just plug it in. And, if my computer wears out and I get a new one I can probably still use the external DVD drive.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
U can always add a CD drive to a USB slot

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip the CD-DVD drive. Can always buy a USB device if you get desperate.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
So the OP hasnโ€™t checked back in. My question is can the DW do all she needs to do on a tablet? If she uses Windows based programs then perhaps itโ€™s a good idea to stick with a Windows based PC. Otherwise Iโ€™d be looking at an iPad. Iโ€™ve relegated my Windows device to doing my taxes, EVERYTHING else can be done on my iPhone or iPad. Much better for doing day to day activities.

The wife uses Windows programs do household finances, email, etc.. she has a Samsung Pad but won't do online finances with it..

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
So the OP hasnโ€™t checked back in. My question is can the DW do all she needs to do on a tablet? If she uses Windows based programs then perhaps itโ€™s a good idea to stick with a Windows based PC. Otherwise Iโ€™d be looking at an iPad. Iโ€™ve relegated my Windows device to doing my taxes, EVERYTHING else can be done on my iPhone or iPad. Much better for doing day to day activities.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
WITHOUT ! During a Black Friday sale I bought a USB 3 CD/DVD for about $30. You might have to tweak the BIOS to tell it to look there first if you are boot from it (recovery).

If you are going to try and fix the old one, now is a good time to upgrade from an "hard disk" (HDD) to a "solid state" (SSD) one. If you do two, things to watch for.

"You get what you pay for !" Pay the extra for a "professional" version. They have a better warranty. (Most new equipment does NOT come with the "professional" SSD.)

"Bigger is NOT better !" Unless you really need it, don't spend the money on a 1TB drive. 500MB is fine and with a bit of "conservation" 256MB is more than adequate.

Also, if you are buying new, you want an IPS display. MUCH better quality than any other type of LCD display available.

Win7 tower purchased 5-6 years ago. i use a 512mb SSD for my โ€˜Cโ€™ drive...just the OS and software thar doesnโ€™t offer an option for custom install. then two 1-tb hard drives partitioned into programs, data files, music, photos and videos. all are image backed up on a series of external drives as well as the cloud.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
NOthing wrong with a SSD Drive just make sure it's big enough to do some good.

You do need a drive

Now what does she use it for? Storing photos, Surfing the web, Facebook et-al. ONLY

Consider a Chrome book
WHy
Cheaper
Though equally hackable it's easier to fix
I pop a 128Gig "hard card" (MIcro SD card) in the side and I can store .. A lot

IF the thing gets "Sick" (A virus) and I've had it happen.. POWER WASH less than 5 minutes and I'm brand new (Save for the data that's still on the card)

Also can run limited Linux software two different ways but that's more for you than her

Very basic "Text Pad" can be added as well as all the major apps like LastPass, Swagbuchs, Honey Speil clunk..er, spell check. and more Also runs many android apps.

All in a box where you get major change back from $200
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
WITHOUT ! During a Black Friday sale I bought a USB 3 CD/DVD for about $30. You might have to tweak the BIOS to tell it to look there first if you are boot from it (recovery).

If you are going to try and fix the old one, now is a good time to upgrade from an "hard disk" (HDD) to a "solid state" (SSD) one. If you do two, things to watch for.

"You get what you pay for !" Pay the extra for a "professional" version. They have a better warranty. (Most new equipment does NOT come with the "professional" SSD.)

"Bigger is NOT better !" Unless you really need it, don't spend the money on a 1TB drive. 500MB is fine and with a bit of "conservation" 256MB is more than adequate.

Also, if you are buying new, you want an IPS display. MUCH better quality than any other type of LCD display available.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a software problem that may work. But my wife has one of these, it died and was a hardware issue and when I opened the box it was obvious that it could not be fixed the way it's made. Not slots, RAM soldered in ect.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
How old is your existing PC and whats wrong with it? If it's just Windows thats corrupted then find a neighbors whiz IT kid to reinstall, good as new.

For a new PC buy without. If someday you need to install something off a CD then buy a cheap USB CD drive off Amazon.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)