cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who can help me pick out a 600 watt solar sytem?

mromberg
Explorer
Explorer
Ok gang.......I'm trying to put together a 600 watt solar system for my soon to be purchased 2017 Class A Fleetwood Bounder. The coach is equipped with 4 100ah 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. It also has a Samsung residential fridge. I also would want a battery monitor included.

So....would anyone be willing to help create a parts list, preferably on amazon, to include the cables, fuses, etc? Perhaps it could also serve as a starting point for others in my same boat....overwhelmed by all the choices.

Budget ~$1000 - $1200

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do you plan to Diy the solar?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crushedstang50 wrote:
This kit is usually about $850 on amazon but is on sale for $530 right now. Buy two more panels to get you to the 600 watts and your good. I have been watching it for almost a year on amazon. This is the cheapest I have seen it.

Renogy 400 Watt 12 Volt Off Grid Solar Premium Kit with Monocrystalline Solar Panel and 40A MPPT Rover Controller/Mounting Z Brackets/MC4 Adaptor Kit/Tray Cables Fuse set /MC4 fuse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTKT56Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_yO3kEb039328N

Hopefully the link works..Clicky....I have not posted a link before!
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry your right, I obviously got too excited to tell you about it and mistyped the price! Haha
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check Home Depot.
Renogy

Edit add
I see others suggesting a 400 watt kit and adding two panels. Others can likely answer this but the 400 watt kit may have lighter wiring than the 600. Not sure, but the 50% increase in power may force you to also add new wire.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a great deal, I have put solar on 2 campers and have had good luck with Renogy products. I own a couple 50 watt panels that are china made I use them for a portable unit. The quality isn't the same.

mromberg
Explorer
Explorer
Crushedstang50 wrote:
This kit is usually about $850 on amazon but is on sale for $530 right now. Buy two more panels to get you to the 600 watts and your good. I have been watching it for almost a year on amazon. This is the cheapest I have seen it.

Renogy 400 Watt 12 Volt Off Grid Solar Premium Kit with Monocrystalline Solar Panel and 40A MPPT Rover Controller/Mounting Z Brackets/MC4 Adaptor Kit/Tray Cables Fuse set /MC4 fuse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTKT56Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_yO3kEb039328N

Hopefully the link works......I have not posted a link before!

Thanks.....I see it at $570.

mromberg
Explorer
Explorer
mromberg wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I know this is not what you asked for but I thought I might throw it out there.On of our members,a moderator, had a system installed by This Guy and was very pleased with what he got. The price is a bit over your budget but that is the installed price.

Link to the thread mentioned here

I'll give it a read.

This looks promising. I sent the guy an email as his installed prices seem fair.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer

Hopefully the link works......I have not posted a link before!
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just looked on amazon a 600 solar kit from Renogy is $1446.00 so you may have to increase your budget. Or buy china solar panels.

mromberg
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
mromberg wrote:
I'm trying to put together a 600 watt solar system for my soon to be purchased 2017 Class A Fleetwood Bounder. The coach is equipped with 4 100ah 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. It also has a Samsung residential fridge.

This is a classic case of a RV manufacture trying to "save a buck" !

Four 6v golf cart batteries (size GC2) will give you about 420 AH of storage and well likely last longer and are the same price or less than 12V "dual purpose" batteries. AGM batteries are nice (zero maintenance) but expensive.

Personally, I would want an inverter/charger/auto transfer switch instead of a converter/charger and stand alone inverter. Maybe a bit more expensive, but easier to wire and MUCH easier to use !

If you plan to boondock a lot, a true DC refrigerator is more efficient than a residential unit. You probably will not find one as large and if you are on "shore power" most of the time you are camping, it does not matter.

I'm going to give these batteries a test before I change them out. But, yes, AGM's are on the list.

mromberg
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I know this is not what you asked for but I thought I might throw it out there.On of our members,a moderator, had a system installed by This Guy and was very pleased with what he got. The price is a bit over your budget but that is the installed price.

I'll give it a read.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
mromberg wrote:
I'm trying to put together a 600 watt solar system for my soon to be purchased 2017 Class A Fleetwood Bounder. The coach is equipped with 4 100ah 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. It also has a Samsung residential fridge.

This is a classic case of a RV manufacture trying to "save a buck" !

Four 6v golf cart batteries (size GC2) will give you about 420 AH of storage and well likely last longer and are the same price or less than 12V "dual purpose" batteries. AGM batteries are nice (zero maintenance) but expensive.

Personally, I would want an inverter/charger/auto transfer switch instead of a converter/charger and stand alone inverter. Maybe a bit more expensive, but easier to wire and MUCH easier to use !

If you plan to boondock a lot, a true DC refrigerator is more efficient than a residential unit. You probably will not find one as large and if you are on "shore power" most of the time you are camping, it does not matter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The Victron Energy Battery Monitoris one of the best you can buy. There are several models, depending on what "additional" bells and whistles you want.

On the panels them selves, the first thing you need to decide is what physical size. "Standard" home panels are 2m x 1m (over 6' by over 3') and 72 cells. These are difficult to handle it you are on a roof. You can easily find 1/2 size panels, 1m x 1m and 36 cells, easier to handle but more connections. The other consideration is monocrystalline vs. polycrystalline. Mono are more efficient but cost more. 200W per square meter is consider "good".

I do not have enough experience to recommend brands beyond the battery monitor. For the charge controller, you probably can not go wrong with any of the name brands.

At the moment, the Chinese built panels have a large tariff. Some distributors are getting around this by purchasing from suppliers in other parts of Asia. There are some solar panels being built in South Korea.