cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with water puddling on camper cover

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
The CalMark cover for my Lance 1055 accumulates puddles when it rains and the standing water eventually degrades the cover material. The puddles tend to form between high points on the roof, like the A/C unit, the storage racks, even the above bed hatch and the refrigerator vent. I have a new cover and am trying to make it puddle-proof, so far unsuccessfully. I've tried placing inflatable balls, approximately 12" diameter, under the cover to make a constant slope to the edge, and putting balls on the high points to force a constant downward slope but neither of these ideas has worked.

Have any of you had this problem? And if so do you have any remedies you're willing to share? My last cover lasted 8 years but it would have lasted even longer were it not for the material degrading where the puddles form.

Thanks for any help.
2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Build a pitched “roof” frame out of pvc, tall enough to take up the slack with enough pitch that the water doesn’t get stuck up there?
Put the cover over it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a plastic toddler "swimming pool". Should be in WalMart any day. Cheap.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll continue trying various inflatables and foam pieces, I'll get there eventually.
2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

mt-ed
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Replace that flimsy material cover with a Sunshield (silver/black) tarp and hold it down with boat fenders half filled with sand. The heavier material will tend to bridge the hollow places in the roof. A 30 x 40 tarp is around $125 and is much easier to install, remove and store than those that envelope the rig. Send me a PM for more info.

Hi DB, I was wondering if you might have a mfgr. for said "sunshield". I googled it and didn't seem to find anything that remotely resembled your description? Thanks in advance!!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Replace that flimsy material cover with a Sunshield (silver/black) tarp and hold it down with boat fenders half filled with sand. The heavier material will tend to bridge the hollow places in the roof. A 30 x 40 tarp is around $125 and is much easier to install, remove and store than those that envelope the rig. Send me a PM for more info.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I filled in a larger area where water puddled with some cheap foam insulation.

Explorer
Explorer
Basketball or soccer ball
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Foam blocks work too, as long as the foam block creates a peak.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Try placing a inflatable pool pillow under the cover in the area that holds water
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Eight years is great! Mine go four...but I'm fighting the sun.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad