cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel suspension maintenance

Coachman_Owner
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Coachmen Chaparral 277DS fifth wheel with the standard cast iron Dexter equalizers and spring suspension. I've read articles where people have experienced catrostophic damage from broken shackles, broken spring bolts, and worn through equalizers. There doesn't appear to me to be be any maintenance to the system other than a complete teardown to inspect, replace worn pieces, or just put in new while it's dismanteled. Are there any suggestions of what to do, what to look for, and what to replace with if need be or suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
They bought Dexter Chassis Group, not Dexter Axles. Dunno about Moryde.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I thought lippert bought dexter and moryde?
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would buy a Dexter, or MoRyde product over a Lippert one. Just do a search on Lippert equalizers failing after a year or two.

Coachman_Owner
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody used Lippert's "Road Armor" equalizer? Tests measuring shock to the trailer look better with them than the others but the tests could be biased by Lippert and nobody talks about life expectancy of their products other than Lippert's "never-fail" bushings.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would recommend, as the others have, you inspect carefully and replace at least the shackles that attach between the spring ends and the trailer parts. Those do not last long at all. In addition, the bearing surfaces in the spring ends and the equalizer wear very quickly in most units.

I, along with many others, have replaced my spring hanger parts with the Dexter EZ Flex unit and shackles and wet bolts. There is a comprhensive thread about the installation from me and several others, complete with pictures, here. . The first parts pictures do not show up well but my install begins on P.4 and the pics are fine. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Coachman Owner wrote:
Did you do this as routine maintenance or did the stock suspension fail?
The metal plates attaching the springs to the frame were loose yet the connections were tight. Something wasn't right.

EZ-Flex ran me around $600 for 3 axles and I did the work in 2 days doing a side half a day. Best money spent.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
As you are seeing in the above comments, the stock suspension is junk and you should do the upgrades like wet bolts. I also spray Fluid Film on the springs and associated parts to lubricate and prevent rust.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the heavy duty wet bolt kit since 2011. I grease it before every trip. Most my trips are under 400 miles round trip. On longer trips, I grease it again before the return. I'm amazed how dirty the old grease is that gets pushed out in such a short time. Just goes to show you how much movement is going on in the shackles.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Lippert Equa-Flex system go out on my trailer. Replaced it with Dexter E-Z Flex heavy duty wet bolt suspension. Three years and lots of miles with no problems
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only real way to check it is to take some of it apart. As long as it's apart why not upgrade to wet bolts, heavy shackles and cushioned equalizers. You will be glad you did.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
I took the 5 year old stock suspension components and replaced them with EZ Flex and wet bolts. What a difference in the ride, tremendously reduced the bucking going over bumps. And the wet bolts eliminated all the squeaking.
This is the best way to do any maintenance on OEM suspension. Basically the OEM suspension is so bad there is no real way to lube anything or do any real preventive maintenance. You just check it, and replace the parts that are worn out. It should be a crime to put that kind of suspension on anything that cost more than a #1.98.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Routine inspections & the first sign of an issue up grade the suspension. We travel a lot, 10,000+ year so I put Morryde sre4000 & Morryde heavy duty shackle kit in. I can now grease the suspension and do not worry about worn nylon bushings, the replacements are bronze, 500-600 in parts.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Coachman_Owner
Explorer
Explorer
Did you do this as routine maintenance or did the stock suspension fail?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I took the 5 year old stock suspension components and replaced them with EZ Flex and wet bolts. What a difference in the ride, tremendously reduced the bucking going over bumps. And the wet bolts eliminated all the squeaking.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE