cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Towing guide

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me why some vehicles that can be flat towed are not listed such as the Honda CRV AWD auto? Are there other AWD auto trans vehicles that aren't listed or is this pay for print?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/CR0000/CR0000O00176A.pdf
31 REPLIES 31

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I will second the Ford Flex. We bought a slightly used one a few years ago and absolutely love it. My mom is 95 and she will go with me anytime over my sister's Traverse and now Jeep Grand Cherokee. She says the Flex is so much easier to get in/out of and the ride is fantastic compared to the other two. When we were looking, we looked at a Cadillac SUV and quickly crossed it off the list due to the ride being terrible. Same for the Honda CRV.

The Flex is easy to tow and has quite the load capacity. It carries an unmounted tire in the back (3rd row seating down) for our 40' Tiffin. The Flex may not look as sporty, but when I want sporty, I pull the Mazda Miata out of the garage and put the top down. Zoom ,Zoom!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am towing the last model year Honda CR-V that can be flat towed. That is a 2014 model. In 2015 they changed to the CV transmission which CANNOT be flat towed. Hope this clears up the CR-V information about towing it as a dingy. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Alrighty guys, play nice on my thread. I can see points from both sides.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
2manytoyz wrote:

I've been on this forum for 18 years, Remco's been around longer than that. I've never seen a single post of anyone having any issues with their products, or their advice.

So if it does happen, I guess we'll both see what happens... ๐Ÿ˜‰

so you haven't seen anything in this forum. So I guess it never happened.
bumpy

I don't feed trolls. You've not added anything to this thread. Simply eristic. A really neat feature of this forum is the ability to block some people. Congratulations, you're the second one in all these years. Respond if you like, I'll never see it...
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:

I've been on this forum for 18 years, Remco's been around longer than that. I've never seen a single post of anyone having any issues with their products, or their advice.

so you haven't seen anything in this forum. So I guess it never happened.
bumpy

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
2manytoyz wrote:

This is from the company that makes vehicles towable for a living, knowing they could be liable for damage or accidents.

sure, when you follow remco's advice and your tranny blows up, just send them the bill and see what happens.
bumpy

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why a 2013 Chevy Malibu can't be flat towed and the 2014 can be flat towed? I thought they were the exact same cars and I'm confused!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:

This is from the company that makes vehicles towable for a living, knowing they could be liable for damage or accidents.

sure, when you follow remco's advice and your tranny blows up, just send them the bill and see what happens.
bumpy

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:
Gnarley wrote:

Thanks, I'm a former ASE certified master technician. I am aware many newer vehicles have internal pumps, but thanks for pointing that out anyway. I'm not a FCA fan and don't want one. I've specifically zeroed in on the Acadia and hope other members who have one will respond.

If you would have checked out the Remco link, you would have seen the following:

2019 Acadia AWD with I-4 (2.5L): Must be towed using a trailer

2019 Acadia AWD with V6 (3.6L):
It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
Follow prescribed towing procedures outlined in your Owner's Manual.
Run the engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes.
Use of a shield mounted in front of vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission.

Hopefully others with that specific model will chime in. If not, I'd recommend creating a new topic, with that model in the title.

Thanks, I did not follow the link.

I had previously posted I'm looking for a used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that can be flat towed.

2018 and up are beyond my budget and the 17 Denali flat tows according to the guide with the v6. Also the 2017 GMC Acadia Denali I believe only comes with a v6. The other Acadia trim packages offer the 2.5 4 cyl.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Gnarley wrote:

Thanks, I'm a former ASE certified master technician. I am aware many newer vehicles have internal pumps, but thanks for pointing that out anyway. I'm not a FCA fan and don't want one. I've specifically zeroed in on the Acadia and hope other members who have one will respond.

If you would have checked out the Remco link, you would have seen the following:

2019 Acadia AWD with I-4 (2.5L): Must be towed using a trailer

2019 Acadia AWD with V6 (3.6L):
It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
Follow prescribed towing procedures outlined in your Owner's Manual.
Run the engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes.
Use of a shield mounted in front of vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission.

Hopefully others with that specific model will chime in. If not, I'd recommend creating a new topic, with that model in the title.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:
Newer transmissions tend to have lubrication pumps. The older/crude transmissions used a splash gear to sling oil. Towing a newer vehicle can cause damage due to lack of fluid circulation.

Also, pay CLOSE attention to those vehicles that can be flat towed. MOST have limitations on speed, and distance. Very common to see "under 50 MPH, and no further than 50 miles".

There is another option. Check with Remco Industries. They've been around a LONG time, and offer solutions for many vehicles. They can add driveshaft or CV joint disconnect, or an auxiliary transmission fluid pump. Obviously the pump would be a much cheaper/easier option.

No affiliation with them, but I've looked into their services before buying the Jeep.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

What's unique about the Jeep is it has a true transfer case. To tow the vehicle, the transfer case is put in neutral, and the A/T in park. No miles are recorded on the odometer. I do have to leave (an unchipped) key in the ignition to unlock the steering - newer models don't have a locking column.

Good luck!

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
AJR wrote:
My 2015 Terrain SLE, AWD w/automatic tows just fine. I am averaging 22 to 25 mpg per tank full. My son has the Denali version of the same year and it is decked out with leather and all the spiffy stuff. I think there was a Caddy version also that year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, however, the Terrain is not the same as the Acadia

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Newer transmissions tend to have lubrication pumps. The older/crude transmissions used a splash gear to sling oil. Towing a newer vehicle can cause damage due to lack of fluid circulation.

Also, pay CLOSE attention to those vehicles that can be flat towed. MOST have limitations on speed, and distance. Very common to see "under 50 MPH, and no further than 50 miles".

There is another option. Check with Remco Industries. They've been around a LONG time, and offer solutions for many vehicles. They can add driveshaft or CV joint disconnect, or an auxiliary transmission fluid pump. Obviously the pump would be a much cheaper/easier option.

No affiliation with them, but I've looked into their services before buying the Jeep.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

What's unique about the Jeep is it has a true transfer case. To tow the vehicle, the transfer case is put in neutral, and the A/T in park. No miles are recorded on the odometer. I do have to leave (an unchipped) key in the ignition to unlock the steering - newer models don't have a locking column.

Good luck!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Terrain SLE, AWD w/automatic tows just fine. I am averaging 22 to 25 mpg per tank full. My son has the Denali version of the same year and it is decked out with leather and all the spiffy stuff. I think there was a Caddy version also that year.

Hope this helps.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD