cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11 1/2’ TC owners wish they had a 9 1/2’

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
All TCs are a compromise in one way or another.
I prefer smaller and more maneuverable and thought my previous Lance 981 was the perfect size at 9’11”
However, a full wall slide 11 1/2’ like the Lance 1181 or AF 1150 has so much more room and offers a dry bath, more storage and bigger tanks with only 1’7” more overall length.
I know the triple slide monsters are great but are bigger and heavier than I would want.
Also, the smaller dry bath models like the AF 992 and Lance 975 are a consideration.
My question, has anyone with one of the larger 11 1/2’ models been unable to access or park/camp in an area where a 9 1/2 ‘ would have made it possible?
I’m sure one advantage with the shorter model is having a shorter hitch extension when towing.
Realistically, I’m thinking any where you could get with a 9 1/2’ you could get to with a 11 1/2’?
What are your experiences.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
37 REPLIES 37

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
Broke-folks love to trash the lavish.
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
SIMPLE PHYSICS.
Hint.... Compare turning radius.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Why do you think Dodge doesn't offer Mega Cab with long beds?
Would not work for grocery getter as impossible to park at common parkings.

Since you have no issues with your truck and camper, how could they have an issue? 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think Dodge doesn't offer Mega Cab with long beds?
Would not work for grocery getter as impossible to park at common parkings.

Bedlam
Grit dog has a 2500 Mega Cab with an Arctic Fox 860. The overall length would be equivalent to a crew cab long bed pickup with an Arctic Fox 990.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
G-dog

Show us a picture of your setup...I don't think I have ever seen a photo of it..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jaycocreek wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
One would have to be pretty spacially challenged to not be able to take the same truck with an 11’ camper the same places as one with a 9’ camper.
The only real world inconveniences I can think of are towing, you would need a fancier hitch setup with the long camper and maybe parallel parking in urban areas.

You must not have owned an 11ft TC and used it in the mountains..That extra 2ft makes a huge difference in being able to go down into camps and get back out..Also a night and day difference in a plain old parking spot at the local Walmart..

2ft of overhang makes a big difference..

Similar setup, mine overhangs 3’ off a short bed but has about as good of departure angle as you can get with that much overhang save for a lift kit on the truck or removing the rear jacks.
Been in a few unimproved areas where it was pretty much at the limit of where a guy would take a high c of g vehicle and been close to scraping a jack on departure angle.
But I “think” the OP was talking about normal driving and parking, in which I don’t see much of a difference.
So we can overanalyze it all we want, but you can take a 11’ camper anywhere you can take a 9’ camper, save for the extreme situations you so astutely recognized.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even with a quad cab and only a 9 1/2 foot camper, parking is an issue. The issue is often being able to back up far enough to turn out of the parking space. I pulled into a Costco parking space, then cars pulled into the aisle behind me and I could not get out.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
1995 Lance 945

Looks like you have plenty of room for the important things 😉

That's one of my favorite things about this camper.

That and it didn't come with a TV. LOL
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
I don't want to take this thread off topic but it seems to me the darn parking spaces seem to be getting smaller and smaller. In some of them I have a hard time parking my f 150. Just seems smaller and smaller.

I totally agree, they are getting smaller and smaller.

But then cars are too.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My 12' TC combo fits in most of parkins spots.
It is the other guys who have a problem

Click For Full-Size Image.

Bedlam
With my 9' camper, I just barely fit into a standard parking spot but can no longer fit into a single length spot with my 11.5'.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to take this thread off topic but it seems to me the darn parking spaces seem to be getting smaller and smaller. In some of them I have a hard time parking my f 150. Just seems smaller and smaller.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
1995 Lance 945

Looks like you have plenty of room for the important things 😉
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund