Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 11 1/2’ TC owners wish they had a 9 1/2’
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 11 1/2’ TC owners wish they had a 9 1/2’

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All TCs are a compromise in one way or another.
I prefer smaller and more maneuverable and thought my previous Lance 981 was the perfect size at 9’11”
However, a full wall slide 11 1/2’ like the Lance 1181 or AF 1150 has so much more room and offers a dry bath, more storage and bigger tanks with only 1’7” more overall length.
I know the triple slide monsters are great but are bigger and heavier than I would want.
Also, the smaller dry bath models like the AF 992 and Lance 975 are a consideration.
My question, has anyone with one of the larger 11 1/2’ models been unable to access or park/camp in an area where a 9 1/2 ‘ would have made it possible?
I’m sure one advantage with the shorter model is having a shorter hitch extension when towing.
Realistically, I’m thinking any where you could get with a 9 1/2’ you could get to with a 11 1/2’?
What are your experiences.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us the 12-foot TC with single slide is a minimum I would settle for for long trips.
We made >7000 miles with 1 back in 2017 and last year >8000 miles Alaskan trip.
I think we have been the smallest RV whenever we did camp.
Only smaller were tents.
Couple of times the campground screwed reservation and they put us in the corner. Not a problem.
Even when parking in the city, I look for a spot who backs into landscaping and can park my set on it. Width is bigger issue than length.
Than even with our previous 40' bus I had no problem to fit at "32' maximum" campgrounds.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

1996 Skyline WeekEnder 910

[image]

1995 Lance 945

[image]

Size really doesn't matter. [emoticon]

My last camper was 9' and my current camper is 11'. From the outside I really don't see a big difference.

This counter space and a larger bathroom is what I gained with 2' and I LOVE the added space.

I have no use or desire for a slide. Too much added weight and I don't like having to step up to the table.

Its just me in there and this Lance camper is perfect for me.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will have to decide if your rig is too big for the places you want to visit. I can tell you for sure that many of my favorite places would not be accessible towing a trailer.

A small popup TC can handle a pretty rough jeep trail. I would not even consider trying to do the same with my 9 1/2 foot TC. Any increase in size and weight will limit access. Even just the weight can be an issue on soft ground and sometimes even on a wide hard gravel road. I lost a tire when a rock went right through the tread area of a new tire. It seemed to just be a matter of weight and I will never try again to drive my rig to the Alvord playa.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Height has been our only restriction and that isn’t much different from our last camper (arctic fox)

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Lance TC is a 1997 990 Lance Legend 11' 3" or 4" long. Ordered new and our brochure said the floor length is 11' 4" but later brochures stated 11' 3" floor length. One inch difference and it depends where from where you take the measurement. Crazy! We love TC's and have had one or more constantly for 55 years now.

That said, Ours is on a 2004.5 Chevy Duramax LLY crew cab long box 4X4 diesel single rear wheel truck and has been for well over a decade now. Yes, it's a lot of overhang behind but unlike forum member Specta we do mot have a very long cabover issue we sure didn't like even when thesame TC was on our ext cab dually truck or want as it makes for more like looking out thru a tunnel when driving. Personal choice perhaps, not that either is the best for all TC owners driving the rig. Prior to using the 990 Lance Legend on the diesle we had a Lance 9.5 TC also we used on the same truck. Yes, the extra length and especially the added weight. ~700 lbs as the 990 has more length all behind the rear axle and has a 3400 watt heavy built in Propane generator in the back end with larger holding tanks too. However, the added floor length is so nice with the large extra storage and we love the large counter space it has next to the fridge. More storage means more weight carried too or why even have more storage available?

Really maxes out the truck's capacity with enhanced tire size capacity, air bags, and 4 Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks when we pull the 2150 lb outboard boat on its trailer with it's 270 lb tomgue weight added about 4 feet behind the truck's rear bumper. Over 90K miles just with the 990 TC on and handles great but you sure know the big TC is on the back.

Yes, we do notice the extra TC length a lot over the 9.5' Lance when trying to get in a parking spot as it requires a double length (2 parking spots) to park the over 26'long rig which includes the OEM TC rear bumper in even without my added 22" X 90" rear porch on the back. 28+ feet then. Wife is disabled and parking way out isn't a real option for us or so many older TC RV'ers either.

Fine for open space or site parking many areas like out west but not in short sites with trees etc behind like are in most of the country. Been there, done that so many times and know all too well over our 55 years of owning TC's.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 9 1/2 and never had a 11 1/2. The 9 1/2 is only 1 1/2 ft longer than the truck. A 11 1/2 is 3 1/2 ft longer. That's noticable in parking lots.

I doubt it would matter in many camping spots.

It will make a difference backing in with more overhang.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 1997 Lance 165, it was on a short bed, it was ok if I went fishing by myself and that was the intended use. It was so light and small, my f 250 just zipped around with it on, never a sway or lumbering along, it fit every where. We bought a 2002 Lance 1130, of course no slide. Its heavy and big, but we have had no problems going where we want. Its big very big in my estimation, but the truck after mods handles it pretty good and so that is a plus at this point. I would not want one with slides or anything heavier. Like above posts we love the bathroom, If we can have a good bathroom good bed and a little room we are happy.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you look at the shorter Host models that are double slide? They typically have a rear door but two full length slides giving you much more inside room than other manfacturers.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I have a 9 1/2 and never had a 11 1/2. The 9 1/2 is only 1 1/2 ft longer than the truck. A 11 1/2 is 3 1/2 ft longer. That's noticable in parking lots.

I doubt it would matter in many camping spots.

It will make a difference backing in with more overhang.

Actually even without the camper on, I find I need to avoid many parking lots with just the truck. Mine is a quad cab with an 8 ft bed. I cannot get in and out of the local Costco lot. There is not enough room to back up, clear the cars next to me and make the turn.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 11 1/2’ TC owners wish they had a 9 1/2’
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.