Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 11 1/2’ TC owners wish they had a 9 1/2’
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 11 1/2’ TC owners wish they had a 9 1/2’

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FireGuard wrote:

My question, has anyone with one of the larger 11 1/2’ models been unable to access or park/camp in an area where a 9 1/2 ‘ would have made it possible?

No. Parking lots not included - I've never been limited to camping spots. My campers were an Eagle Cap 1150, an Arctic Fox 1140 and currently a Lance 1181.

One drawback that might be encountered due to the long rear overhang is crossing ditches or stream beds or climbing embankments - the rear jack tends to touch earth. Crossing at a diagonal angle can help prevent jack dragging. (The White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park would not be passable).

Large campers usually require a dually - the wider dual wheel stance makes it hard to navigate narrow curvy forest roads - the kind of road that is worn/cut into the ground - on a tight turn the outside dual rear tire rides up onto the road crest and tips the camper Waaaay over to the point of forget-about-it.

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Actually even without the camper on, I find I need to avoid many parking lots with just the truck. Mine is a quad cab with an 8 ft bed. I cannot get in and out of the local Costco lot. There is not enough room to back up, clear the cars next to me and make the turn.

Love my regular cab. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the reason why I build my truck with Supercab, who is 12" shorter WB than CC.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

That's the reason why I build my truck with Supercab, who is 12" shorter WB than CC.

I understand, but I was a full timer for a couple of years and even now my trips last for months. My backseat is primarily for storage: a box of maps and travel guides, a jug of DEF, archery target, luggage just in case, leveling blocks, extra bedding and blankets for really cold weather, tools, camera lenses and tripods, etc. Most of this would just not fit in the camper.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't mind moving up to a 10'4" Bigfoot. Mostly for the dry bath. I don't see any issues with the camper floor at truck bed height.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

I understand, but I was a full timer for a couple of years and even now my trips last for months. My backseat is primarily for storage: a box of maps and travel guides, a jug of DEF, archery target, luggage just in case, leveling blocks, extra bedding and blankets for really cold weather, tools, camera lenses and tripods, etc. Most of this would just not fit in the camper.

When I see no need to carry DEF having tank good for 3000+ miles, we do carry bottled water, beer, heavy tools, safe and 3 dogs on the top.
Not mentioning collections of rocks on our way back.
SupreCab has plenty space for all that and still some room for extra.
I did use CC with SRW in the past and turning radius was a problem.
Don't know how much it is a foot less with Supercab, how much build technology changed, but turning around with my new truck in not a big issue.
Actually downtown Atlanta, with no camper I park my dually on "passenger cars only" parking lot. 360 cameras sure got a good workout making tight turns between corner walls.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I see no need to carry DEF having tank good for 3000+ miles.........

As I remember a gallon of DEF lasts for about 500 miles. My last trip was close to 15K miles so I had to add about 10 2.5 gallon containers. It seems like I was always running low at inconvenient times so I got in the habit of carrying a jug.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Everybody's wants and needs are different. I'm sorry you guys have to deal with DEF, what a pain in the butt.

I work part time for a trucking company and they pay just under 50¢/gal for DEF. If I remember correctly back in Dec when I was driving Flying J was charging $2.96/gal at the pump. Can you say ****??

My regular cab works perfect for me. I've never cared for extended cab or crew cab trucks, they are just too long for me and I have never cared for the way they look. But that's just me.

[image]

I need a trailer for my ATV, it goes everywhere I go when the camper is on the truck so having a small trailer gives me room for all the extras.

Extra fresh water, BBQ, propane, gas, firewood or what ever.

My regular cab is almost 4' shorter than a crew cab and has a 12' shorter turning radius which makes it soo easy to park anywhere. It also has a bigger payload than a crew cab.

When my camper isn't in the bed my toolbox that's only bed rail high gives me plenty of storage space.

I know why and totally agree with people who buy regular and crew cab pickups. They either need or just want them. Its awesome that they make trucks in soo many different configurations.

No wife, no pets, just me. Its perfect for me and it was hard to find.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had four 10.5 to 11.5" truck campers..For room there nice but for weight and length.they suck..The overhang is a killer for those that go on un-maintained roads with the water bars and fire breaks..I banged up 3 of the 4 doing just that..

When looking for a truck camper this last time,I wanted an 8.6 that had no overhang at all but the wife wanted bigger,so we ended up with a 9.6 with a small bit of overhang and a simple 18" solid bar extension.

If you want room,get a small class C..They have more room than the largest truck campers with slides and full sized rear baths..The problem with them is driving off maintained roads..Built off the frame.I was cracking a seal on about every trip and fighting leakage if I didn't watch carefully..

If hiway use and maintained roads was the only way I used an RV,I would have another small class C..

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One would have to be pretty spacially challenged to not be able to take the same truck with an 11’ camper the same places as one with a 9’ camper.
The only real world inconveniences I can think of are towing, you would need a fancier hitch setup with the long camper and maybe parallel parking in urban areas.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 11 1/2’ TC owners wish they had a 9 1/2’
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.