Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: F350 Super Duty vs 3500 Denali vs The Ike Pulling 30k lbs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > F350 Super Duty vs 3500 Denali vs The Ike Pulling 30k lbs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/01/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

Now the real test will be to see the long term reliability of the new Powerstroke. I’m of an age now that I don’t give a **** about being the first to the top of the hill but I want to do it many times reliably which is why I went away from Ford to my current truck.


LOL... the new Power Stroke added Steel Pistons and the Cummins added a CP4.2!


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 02/01/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

blofgren wrote:

Now the real test will be to see the long term reliability of the new Powerstroke. I’m of an age now that I don’t give a **** about being the first to the top of the hill but I want to do it many times reliably which is why I went away from Ford to my current truck.


LOL... the new Power Stroke added Steel Pistons and the Cummins added a CP4.2!


Cummins never had an issue with cracked pistons like the Powerstroke has had and the current pistons can easily handle over 600 RWHP for a long time so there is no need to change it. The CP4.2 was required in order to make more horsepower and meet emissions. If it weren't for emissions, they would no doubt still use the CP3.

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/19/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/01/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

If it can average 42 mph it would reach the top of the hill in 10 minutes 50 seconds.
According to the drag formula it would require 89 HP tp overcome drag and rolling resistance at 42 mph.

320 minus 89 leaves 231 HP which is the required HP to raise the 39000 lbs 2120 feet in 6 minutes and 50 seconds.

Edit: I guess I should have quoted the definition of HP:
1 horsepower is the power required to raise 550 lbs 1 ft in 1 second

So 39000 lbs x 2120 ft / (620 seconds x 550) is 242.46 HP


I think I spot the error now - when I crunch the following:

39000x2120/550/231hp

I get 650 seconds, not 6:50s. 650 seconds translates to 10:50s, which is a more reasonable time for the Ram.

If the Ram did do it in 6:50s, then its average speed would be significantly higher, and we'd have to start the iterative process all over again...

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Online
Posted: 02/01/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4X you make my head hurt!

I do appreciate your knowledge.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/01/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4X you make my head hurt!

I do appreciate your knowledge.


X2. Your office must look like Einstein’s full of boards on the wall and sheets of paper spread around with many complex equations! [emoticon]


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/02/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

blofgren wrote:

Now the real test will be to see the long term reliability of the new Powerstroke. I’m of an age now that I don’t give a **** about being the first to the top of the hill but I want to do it many times reliably which is why I went away from Ford to my current truck.


LOL... the new Power Stroke added Steel Pistons and the Cummins added a CP4.2!


If I were looking to buy a new diesel truck today, it would most likely be a GM.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/02/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

todays trucks are all so capable (even over capable) of hauling big loads and high enough reliability such that these differences for me are so minor that my buying decisions have been based on other things like creature comfort, how quite the truck is, and other features long before I get to the "which truck is faster" criteria.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


FlatBroke

CO/AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/02/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

If it can average 42 mph it would reach the top of the hill in 10 minutes 50 seconds.
According to the drag formula it would require 89 HP tp overcome drag and rolling resistance at 42 mph.

320 minus 89 leaves 231 HP which is the required HP to raise the 39000 lbs 2120 feet in 6 minutes and 50 seconds.

Edit: I guess I should have quoted the definition of HP:
1 horsepower is the power required to raise 550 lbs 1 ft in 1 second

So 39000 lbs x 2120 ft / (620 seconds x 550) is 242.46 HP


I think I spot the error now - when I crunch the following:


39000x2120/550/231hp

I get 650 seconds, not 6:50s. 650 seconds translates to 10:50s, which is a more reasonable time for the Ram.

If the Ram did do it in 6:50s, then its average speed would be significantly higher, and we'd have to start the iterative process all over again...

It takes a whole sack of flour to make a big biscuit.



Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS


2001400ex

Veradale, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/02/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

todays trucks are all so capable (even over capable) of hauling big loads and high enough reliability such that these differences for me are so minor that my buying decisions have been based on other things like creature comfort, how quite the truck is, and other features long before I get to the "which truck is faster" criteria.


That's exactly right. My 08 Duramax 2500 towed my 14k (weight at a scale) fifth wheel up every mountain pass I drive over in the Northwest/Montana at the speed limit. When it was stock and after I tuned it. And I only tow a few times a year, so daily driving is my main focus when I bought miy 2020 Denali. I really wanted the RAM, but the Aisin drives like a big rig even unloaded. If I used it mostly to pull, I probably would have bought the RAM.


2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > F350 Super Duty vs 3500 Denali vs The Ike Pulling 30k lbs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.