Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Moisture under mattress solutions please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Moisture under mattress solutions please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a low-tech solution, I stick something under the center of the mattress to lift it up a bit, every morning except when I forget.

Currently I'm using a long fiberglass level, but I have used things like small cardboard boxes or empty water bottles or whatever. It doesn't matter what you use, just get some air under there.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to use a product called Dry mesh which is cheaper version of hypervent but had troubles buying more for another TC. Honestly the best results I have had was blue foam board from Lowes. It works!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Hypervent
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/prevent-under-mattress-mold-hypervent/

I put a board by the mattress (east/west bed) and gave it a few inches of space from the mattress and wall. I then put a board separating the mattress from the hypervent mesh so that the blanket would not drop down and block the vent and prevent air from moving. This board you cannot see, but the board goes a few inches under the mattress and the mattress sits on it.

Here is a pic looking up at the board and you can see some mesh under the mattress.

[image]

from this
[image]

to this
[image]

I put the fridge back in to sell it
[image]
and, no, the drawers did not make the curtain do that

This makes so much sense! we don't have a camper, but have had issues with condensation in our 5er bed slide-out, I simply placed a couple 2X4's at the head of the bed to keep the mattress away from the wall. This stuff works the same way air circulation

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

toddb

az

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

den dry is another solution.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with drying it out is that it is getting wet still. Wet is bad, icky, nasty and mold can still form.

styrofoam could work in that it reduces the temp difference, but your body is still evaporating a lot of moisture no matter what the mattress is doing, the mesh (or any means of moving air under) will move that moisture so it does not get trapped in the mattress itself.

a 5th or camper slide-out is the same as a TC, anything where the mattress sits on an outside surface will have moisture issues.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had truck campers in the '60s/'70s the hot ticket for cold soak and dampness under the bed was several thick layers of card board. Fridge card board was much prefered.
When warm weather came we removed the card board and either saved it for next winter or trash canned it.
Some low cost TC over head beds were just plywood and no insulation or framework. The bottom of the overhead bed would sag badly.

Later my first 5th wheel rv trailer (1984) had a 2"X2" frame work under the bed but no insulation. As another poster mentioned I used a sheet of 5/8" insulboard under the mattress. No sweats and no cold soak.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per my experience main moisture source was condensation dripping from front window.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder whether using some of that blue furnace filter media available at any big box would help - should provide some air flow but may not be strong enough to hold up. Wouldn't cost much to test out.

Kevin

hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw somewhere that someone was going to try a bunky board, they are cheaper than the other options. Don't remember the outcome though if they even reported back.

Bunky Board

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not a good application for Reflectix as it is an effective moisture barrier and will trap condensation above and below it .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Moisture under mattress solutions please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.