cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Make a "Smart" RV ?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
How would you guys go about retrofitting a older old RV into a smart RV?
Proud father of a US Marine
41 REPLIES 41

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the Dyson pure hot cold heater at Costco. I think you might be able to control it over wifi.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
I'm talking about technology. Touch pads, internet, cell phone, auto on/off lights appliances, etc.. voice commands... ie: Siri, Alexa...etc. what would you want, need, find cool to have

Here's about the cheapest ($13), simplest and most effective WIFI enabled smart controller I've found for an RV that will control the 12vdc circuits (or 120vac) in my coach that integrate easily with Alexa/Google, etc. As already mentioned, all of this is dependent upon reliable internet but assuming that is not an issue, if you are willing to do a few simple electrical projects, having smart control of your appliances and lights is not difficult or expensive-only your imagination will limit you.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

CJStevens
Explorer
Explorer
I would like an Alexa-enabled thermostat for various reason like turning on the heater when heading back to my RV from a day trip. I heard that "house" thermostats cannot be used in RVs unless they are battery operated...something about different power type. Does anyone have one? Does anyone know if they will work in an RV?

CJStevens
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Start with a smart owner

Some of you forget that there are us full-timers out there. Weekenders may not want tech but we do as it's our full-time home. Stop and think, please, before trashing people for wanting something different than what you want.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
An open mind takes no money at all! I wish more people had them!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
it's easy to have an open mind when it's somebody else's time and money.
Puma 30RKSS

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the problem you will run in to is a lot of those 'smart' technologies are reliant on Internet based resources to operate. For example, Siri-Alexa-Cortana-etc do not actually do speech recognition locally. They will hear their 'wake up' word, and the rest of the computing is done 'in the cloud'. Same thing for a lot of remote control apps/devices. I have an app that controls my home thermostat, but it does not talk directly to the device - it talks to the company's mothership which in turn talks to my device.

What this means is you will be heavily Internet dependent for a lot of these 'smart' thingies to work. Chances are you will need to set up your own little mini network in the RV with local WiFi and then some way for the external side of the router to connect to the Internet. That could be some sort of WiFi bridge or hot spot. It can be done, but it is a bit of geek work to make happen. And it is contingent upon being someplace where the Internet is available. Boondocking you can forget about the smart thingies working.

I had a similar project. Cross country road trip. No cell coverage. Wanted to listen to my music library and no spare capacity on my mobile device. Built a WiFi router out of a Raspberry Pi and connected an 1TB external hard drive with the music library. No external Internet access though. Connect the iPad, access the share, play the music to the car's Bluetooth. Put it all in a nice little box and it runs off a 12v cigarette lighter plug. Works good when out camping too.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
The title of the forum is "Technology Corner" - not sure why you would bash a question about technology - it's about as dumb as answers to posts you see in the Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades by some of you telling people how hard it's going to be to do what they are asking.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Its not hard to do but all that hooks up to your router or hub so the first thing you need is reliable internet. Switches, hubs, outlets, Alexa, Google Home, smart tv, all need internet and wifi for everything to work. if you dont have that then its kind of useless.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
since OP just wants doo-dads, why put them on an old crate that is worthless just so he can show off what each button can do? I'd spend that money on a man cave that I could enjoy 24/7/365.
and yes, negative answers are appropriate to stupid ideas.
bumpy

You off your meds Bumpy? I sure hope that's why you made this kind of a post! My old crate is over 30 years old and used 365 days a year with most every device the OP is wanting to install.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I agree look at the Arduino there a many many projects that have the programing code available if you don't know C++
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bumpyroad wrote:
since OP just wants doo-dads, why put them on an old crate that is worthless just so he can show off what each button can do? I'd spend that money on a man cave that I could enjoy 24/7/365.
and yes, negative answers are appropriate to stupid ideas.
bumpy

Condescending, arrogant old crusty aren't you? I bet he doesn't have a fiberglass roof either - the horror. We all buy what we can afford or fits our needs. If someone wants to add some cool electronic gadgets to their RV, no one cares if you like the idea or not so stop adding your opinions where no one is asking for it. OP asked for advice on a particular subject. The question wasn't "whether Bumpy approves of the idea". Add something positive or move on, life is too short to be subjected to your pointless grumblings.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
I'm talking about technology. Touch pads, internet, cell phone, auto on/off lights appliances, etc.. voice commands... ie: Siri, Alexa...etc. what would you want, need, find cool to have
Sounds fun!! Not much different than a house except for the front door. Will need to get clever making a smart door lock work.

Get yourself solar, decent battery bank, inverter, and something like a Verizon jetpack for internet.

That gives you constant 120v AC and wifi. Should be pretty easy to buy something designed for residential use and install in your trailer.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of these things can be done easily and have been results and procedures reported by many users. You might want to break it down a bit. Want good internet service? You need a good cellular plan and need to forget about campground Wifi? Want good TV? You will need to get a good setup for DirecTV or DISH. Want to make your blinds go up and down with a touch pad you will need thousands of dollars. Want to make your lights go on and off you will need a reliable internet connection and a few hundred dollars for the various lights and appliances you want to control.
Some stuff makes sense in an RV and some stuff is just stupid (unless you are a $1,000,000+ RV buyer).
Break it down to what's really important and you should be able to get some really good responses.