cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dead house Battery

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
So, my systems monitoring is telling me that I have a dead battery. Could this be because the MH has be sitting for 5-months and only needs a charge? I always switch off the house batteries and also chassis batteries after going into the MH and I have also started and run the MH several times during that 5-months. Can't these batteries be tested and changed only as needed??

I have seen articles in the forum that said that if one battery goes BAD you should change them all. That doesn't seem practical, I do want to do the right thing. Any suggestions for where to buy the better batteries at a reasonable price?

Novice seeking advise.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
9 REPLIES 9

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
If you let them go below 40 % for more then 2 months they are just junk get a battery tender after this it with be cheaper in long round.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I would advice you to replace them all, especially if >4 years old.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just charged up my chassis batteries. One dropped immediately to 11vdc. Tested it and it was bad. Replaced both batteries. All is good....Charge up your batteries and have them tested. You do it easily enough yourself, but most auto supply stores will do it for you if there's enough room to maneuver your rig. Anyway, if one is bad, replace them all....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and I,d add a cut off switch at the battery bank. reason,theres all ways a small electric draw even when your coach switch is off.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with replacing just one battery in a bank is that it has probably caused the other batteries to discharge and pulled them all down. Even if one or more charge and register "good" on a tester, they are not as good as the replacement you install.

If you are going to be storing a battery bank for more than about 30 day

โ€ข Top off the fluid in all cells
โ€ข Fully charge all batteries, individually if possible
โ€ข Disconnect all cables

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Five months without a charge? Get a 30 watt or so solar panel and $23 WindyNation controller and your batteries will stay fully charged.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
For best results you ALWAYS replace ALL the Batteries in a battery bank if just one tests bad or is defective. The reason is simple. When you have 1 battery that is bad, the others may start to deteriorate at different times and you will constantly be chasing battery problems. Interstate Battery replaces all batteries in a battery bank under warranty if just one is defective. Doug

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfe is right I will just add use your phone and take pictures .
Pictures can save you a world of grief

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Fully charge them all. You can only properly test batteries that are fully charged.

Separate them (remove cables AFTER labeling them).

Have them LOAD TESTED (free at places that sell batteries).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/