cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It has been 6 yrs since we sold our TT--back looking again!

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
So our youngest just graduated HS, so we are looking at TT's that are 3500 or less. What we're looking for preferably, is a dinette on one end, bed on the other in case the MIL wants to come along. I've been to two RV shows in the last month and was able to eliminate the $30k Intech Horizon and Little Guy Max as they are just too cramped and it's a no to wetbaths. If we were to spend 30k, we'd have to drive to New York from NC to get my favorite, the Holiday House 18RB.
Here's my list so far for TT's under 20k, under 3500 lbs, fibeglass construction. Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1900RD, Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 19ERD, and the Apex Nano 191RBS. They all have their pluses and minuses. The Vintage Cruiser is the lightest at 3090#. The Apex Nano is the least expensive at $16500 and has the nicer fiberglass/plastic end cap with aluminum wheels. I have not been able to walk through and put my hands on the Gulfstream. 🙂
I hope to be a contributing member here again, I have done a lot of video watching and learning. We can't wait to go glamping!
15 REPLIES 15

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
My MIL won't go often. She's not really the "camping" type. Not sure what she was thinking. I had them add in the Husky Centerline TS wd hitch. I thought they were really fair on the price installed, hundreds less than other dealers. I already installed the Prodigy P2 and got the plug and play harness. Also have some inexpensive mirror extensions from K Source. All we have left to do is buy some sheets as we pick it up Saturday and I decided to book the KOA at Kings Dominion because it's so close to the dealer in case we find any issues. Won't be able to hook up anything but electrical since it's still dropping below freezing round here.

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our 30' 5th wheel and GMC 2500 Duramax after our 16+ y.o. daughter said, "I will never camp with y'all again". Then the next year, the wife decides she had enough of camping. Then, I was laid off and secured a job 35 miles from home. Further than I wanted to drive the Duramax every day. I sold the entire rig and purchased a GMC Canyon. A couple years without a camper, my wife decides it is time to get back into camping. So, we had to set our sights on what the Canyon would tow comfortably. After multiple dealer visits, we settled on a KZ 201QB. It is 4500# empty, tandem axle. My wife and I have enjoyed this layout and the Canyon handles it well NC, VA & TN mountains). Now our daughter is 21 and thinks she should travel with us. Did it once. Was not a fun trip for all. 😞 :S What were we thinking?
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the coachman 192RBS, which is a perfect couples trailer. Love the open floor plan, but might be a bit tougher with MIL

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I mean to say the fiberglass/smooth walled trailers with aluminum structures vs the stick and tin style. We looked at a ton in person and online. I can see the quality difference in the Intech's and Little Guys etc, but we couldn't justify paying $30k and getting a tiny wet bath. These "Vintage" trailers might be a little gimmicky, but I'm happy with it. Just wished it had an enclosed underbelly and real fiberglass nose. I didn't mean to refer to the likes of Scamps etc. I really liked the Kodiak Cub 177RB, but it was 600 pounds plus heavier and that CW I went to would make anyone NOT want to buy a RV. $2100 in fees, are you fricking kidding me??? I will say Campers Inn was pretty fair with a $795 doc/dest/whatever fee. They gave us a great price short of driving 1000 miles away to save a few hundred. I guess I can't say for sure until we get there and finalize everything, but I have the buyers order with the final price. Worst comes to worst, I will go with USAA at 5.9%.
Can't wait to go glamping! We plan to get there pretty early so we can get to the campground at either the Kings Dominion KOA or Americamps there to test it out.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
"Fiberglass construction"?
What does that mean?

There is wood construction with fiberglass panel outer walls. In some opinions that looks way better than the corrugated aluminum outer walls.This is not fiberglass construction.
Fiberglass construction is a camper that looks like a burrito on wheels or a white airstream-looking camper, a true fiberglass construction,
Sometimes instead of wood construction it will be aluminum studs.

I have walked a lot of junk yards looking for parts and seen a lot or wrecked, damaged, delapadated and falling apart campers, both motorhomes and tt. I would not sweat too much about wood or aluminum studs or how close or far apart they are. The walls are held up by the interior build-outs (counters, cabinets, inner walls etc).
They are all junky, but hold up just fine for regular driving down the road or when parked. They are built to minimal standards of durability.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We just saw the Vintage Cruisers at the Big E camper show yesterday! Really liked the style of them. Well, the wife actually Loved them! We didn't buy, but they look great.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
So our youngest just graduated HS, so we are looking at TT's that are 3500 or less. What we're looking for preferably, is a dinette on one end, bed on the other in case the MIL wants to come along. I've been to two RV shows in the last month and was able to eliminate the $30k Intech Horizon and Little Guy Max as they are just too cramped and it's a no to wetbaths. If we were to spend 30k, we'd have to drive to New York from NC to get my favorite, the Holiday House 18RB.
Here's my list so far for TT's under 20k, under 3500 lbs, fibeglass construction. Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1900RD, Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 19ERD, and the Apex Nano 191RBS. They all have their pluses and minuses. The Vintage Cruiser is the lightest at 3090#. The Apex Nano is the least expensive at $16500 and has the nicer fiberglass/plastic end cap with aluminum wheels. I have not been able to walk through and put my hands on the Gulfstream. 🙂
I hope to be a contributing member here again, I have done a lot of video watching and learning. We can't wait to go glamping!

If you held out 6 years, you resisted twice as long as we did.
In year 3...
I settled on restoring a 20' 1975 Prowler.
(I didn't go for fancy, just the features we wanted.)
BTW: Rehabbing is a young mans game. I took way too many Tylenol while I was doing the work... NEVER AGAIN. I'm getting too long in the tooth to rehab another.
Good luck finding something that meets your needs.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
HMMMMMM. Mother in law. We saw an interesting sign on a large boat that read; Cocktails for six, eating for four, sleeping for two."
Just kidding. I had a wonderful MIL.
Get that rig and enjoy our United States.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-Gulf-Stream-Vintage-Cruiser-17RWD-5010813091 One just like it

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we just did the deal over the phone with Campers Inn Thornburg VA. They are moving from Fredericksburg. 2020 Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 17RWD. We walked through it a few weeks ago and really liked it. I’ve been searching the net non stop and we’ve looked at several. We love the dinette on the rear, separate shower and bath, and partial walk around east west bed. Nothing came close at the weight either. 2600 uvw, 286 tongue weight. After searching around and missing the deal on two used tt’s because folks must take off work during the week, we decided this trailer is the best choice for us. The only two negatives for me were the non enclosed underbelly and no smooth fiberglass nose. But none of the others we liked had Azdel and one was stick and tin with none of the above. Looking forward to glamping again!! I made sure they included the battery, propane, and s deluxe starter kit. Now to order a Prodigy P2 or P3 and harness. We pick it up in two weeks!!

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we found a couple we really like, but we may need to wait just a bit longer. It's so hard to be financially responsible when you love glamping and miss it.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
It would be so cool to run into old CG friends again! We may have to go with something a little less expensive as we have to pay for our son's welding school next. All the TT's under 20k at are under 3500# have weak points, but as I say, you better be handy if you want to use a TT.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went some 17 years between buying trailers... Been to a few RV shows over the years and was sticker shocked at the new rigs over the years...

Finally decided to bite the bullet and go for for a new one! Went bigger over our old 2003 Prowler, but in the end got it for a price that was well below MSRP and very happy with it. Still just a "couples" trailer, which is all we need but got such a great deal on the trade for our 2003 with the dealer, it made it possible with some $$ to spare...

So, get what you want and don't fret the price... There will always be someone that gets a better deal, but you just gotta do what you gotta do when it's right in front of you..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grammie
Explorer
Explorer
SO EXCITED FOR YALL
HOPE TO SEE YOU On the road soon
Headed to Zooland 3/25-3/30
Dream Catcher