cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were older travel trailers built better?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a few main companies that I like today, almost none are based in Indiana because of quality issues. People are just having their trailers fall apart in 1-2 years.... Warranties are 3 months to service, etc.

I'm curious were travel trailers from 2008 and older built better? I noticed on some the cabinets just seemed "better" from the "older" days.

What about pre-2000 were those built better?

I know, I wish I could afford an Airstream. LOL.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.
32 REPLIES 32

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1991 Prowler 15 footer back in the day. It was bloody heavy for a 15 footer. There were things about it that were better. It had a metal (probably tin) roof that would way outlast a rubber roof. It felt more solid. My 2017 is probably more refined but, not as solid feeling. Better made?? I'm not convinced.

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
I have an old Coachman 1987 5th wheel (18') that I use for hunting that is still going strong. The last 5th we had before our newer GD was a Keystone 2004 and it was getting tried with quite a few problems popping up. I think some at least were made better.

Like you I have a 1989 Coachman 5th wheel that I have basically rebuilt just to update to my liking but the meat and potatoes of it were and are still structurally fine. Mine was a leaker but I remedied that and repaired anything suspect from water infiltration. I would put my little 5ver up against almost any new unit.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Another good example of old vs new is look at other threads currently on travel trailers about a 2017 Lippert frame braking and 1964 Red Dale still being used after 56 years. While the construction of stick and tin is basically the same some are not. Earlier TT a metal roof was common now they use rubber.Very common for Lippert frame failures very rare in vintage TT unless you count rusting out with age.

I know I would not want to give up the amenities of a modern travel trailers. Early TT rarely had a bathroom and no A/C. Hand pump for water instead of a electric water pump. Who would want to go back to those odd trailer wheels the attached by the outside edge of the wheel?

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Chiming in here. When I was a kid in the 70’s we had an old Apache pop up. I don’t think there was any wood and that thing was a little tank made of nothing but steel, aluminum, and fiberglass.

As an adult with kids of my own we had a KZ 2003 model Frontier. Owned it for 12 years and it had its share of problems, worst being water leaks. But, we used the heck out of it and I was always playing Mr fix it. The issue to me is the wood and fiberglass construction being used as once water gets in through a seam, rot and mildew is inevitable. An older brand called Evergreen came up with a model that used no wood rather used Adzel which would not rot. Of course these units were a premium cost and I think that is what did them in.

Systems such as axles, fridges, ac units are the same throughout and all will fail at the same rate independent of the RV manufacturer and date made.

So in conclusion, I think the materials of construction (design) dictate the failure rate not necessarily the manufacturer.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Our first travel trailer was a 18.5 Aljo Deluxe. Very nice small TT. No trouble in the six years we owned it. We’re now on our fourth Jayco with a KZ in between. All have been satisfactory but none exceptional. They’re all obviously slapped together in a hurry. One brand new Airstream we looked at had a soft spot in its particle board floor after a roof vent leaked and water soaked into the floor around where the dinette was screwed into the floor. I was ready to buy one. After that, I’ll trade for a nice new stick and tin every six or seven years. I have a crush on a 2020 Winnebago 2106FBS at the moment. Ready to go back small.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Newer CAN be better but you have to educate yourself.

Wood frame vs aluminum?

Wood layer on roof and exterior walls vs no wood ?

Axles under spec’d at capacity empty.

Look at how they strain relief plumbing at the hot water heater.

Look at the quality of the wiring at the breaker panel.

This is pretty much it in a nut shell..................
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
ScottG wrote:
My 2004 Wildcat was built just as good but not as sloppy as my 2018 Arctic Fox.
I always thought Artic Fox was a better built unit, was it fit and finish issues?

Asking because I'm considering one of their models.

It was lots of workmanship issues. Cabinets poorly assembled with trim work popped loose. About 80% of all the screws installed for hinges and latches were stripped out. Awning's misalligned. Tons of little stuff.
The fiberglass caps have a terrible finish. It went back to the facotry for a new roof (another story but it was replaced in ONE DAY) and they "fixed" the caps - they still look terrible. They told me most of the units that leave the facotry have blemishes in the caps. Obviously a process issue that they just dont care to fix.
Then there's the warranty guy. No bigger liar was ever born.
Had it not been for my dealer, they would have blown me off.

Personally, I wont buy another NW product, mostly because of my dealings with the factory.
Thanks for the update, kind of disappointing to hear.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
It may not be a valid comparison, but our 2019 Forest River Cherokee has better materials and better fit and finish than our 2006 Starcraft.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
There's no rhyme or reason to which RV comes off the assembly line as a POS or a keeper.
My 2013 Fox Mountain was keeper but we needed more room and comfort so we went with a 2019 ORV. Not a POS but not quite the level quality of the Fox. Only issue from NW was a bad water connection part at the manifold.
As compared to what I've seen about other newer RV's our ORV is above average.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I always thought Artic Fox was a better built unit, was it fit and finish issues?

It was lots of workmanship issues. Cabinets poorly assembled with trim work popped loose. About 80% of all the screws installed for hinges and latches were stripped out. Awning's misalligned. Tons of little stuff.
The fiberglass caps have a terrible finish. It went back to the facotry for a new roof (another story but it was replaced in ONE DAY) and they "fixed" the caps - they still look terrible. They told me most of the units that leave the facotry have blemishes in the caps. Obviously a process issue that they just dont care to fix.
Then there's the warranty guy. No bigger liar was ever born.
Had it not been for my dealer, they would have blown me off.

Personally, I wont buy another NW product, mostly because of my dealings with the factory.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
No ..older isn't better when apples are compared to apples.
I've been in and around the RV/mobilhome industry all my life.... I'm 78.

We had our shoddy trailer lines within some rv mfg back in the '60s...'70s and 80s just like today. Some rv mfg were noted for shoddy built units across all their product lines....other mfg built a better product....just like today.
Today rv mfg have more lines to offer from low cost units to high cost units. So numbers tell us we have more better built units and more poorly low cost units being built. More mfg = more products on the road.

And of course the term built better can mean different things to different folks.

I've been around RV's all my 48 of my 60 years. My dad had and RV shop in CA for years and I was one of the young service guys. I'd take a new trailer any day over and old one. Old ones weren't built with the better materials we have now. Their were less manufacturers and less "standards". The appliances are certainly better now. Almost any aluminum framed trailer will out last any of the old stick and tin trailers of the past. If I examine a current stick and tin trailer all I see that has really improved with them is the better materials and appliances. The construction is still the same. I am really a fan of the aluminum framed, laminated wall trailers of current day. Though they come with the possibility of the dreaded de-lamination! Nothing is permanently better, "only so much better" and then we have to make it last.

I agree whole heartedly.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
No ..older isn't better when apples are compared to apples.
I've been in and around the RV/mobilhome industry all my life.... I'm 78.

We had our shoddy trailer lines within some rv mfg back in the '60s...'70s and 80s just like today. Some rv mfg were noted for shoddy built units across all their product lines....other mfg built a better product....just like today.
Today rv mfg have more lines to offer from low cost units to high cost units. So numbers tell us we have more better built units and more poorly low cost units being built. More mfg = more products on the road.

And of course the term built better can mean different things to different folks.

I've been around RV's all my 48 of my 60 years. My dad had and RV shop in CA for years and I was one of the young service guys. I'd take a new trailer any day over and old one. Old ones weren't built with the better materials we have now. Their were less manufacturers and less "standards". The appliances are certainly better now. Almost any aluminum framed trailer will out last any of the old stick and tin trailers of the past. If I examine a current stick and tin trailer all I see that has really improved with them is the better materials and appliances. The construction is still the same. I am really a fan of the aluminum framed, laminated wall trailers of current day. Though they come with the possibility of the dreaded de-lamination! Nothing is permanently better, "only so much better" and then we have to make it last.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:

I'm curious were travel trailers from 2008 and older built better? I noticed on some the cabinets just seemed "better" from the "older" days.

What about pre-2000 were those built better?

I certainly think so. Our trailer is a 1990 and it looks and works like new. The cabinets are oak, the kitchen sink is stainless, and believe it or not the frame is galvanized. Too many good things to detail... Also - it was made in Canada.

Wouldn't trade it for a new one.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote: