cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-150 HDPP?

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
My dad is searching for a new to him F-150 is there an easy way to know if the truck has the heavy payload and / or trailer package? This will mostly be for his daily driver and a few times a year to haul his small car enclosed trailer to swap meets, so a half ton will be a good fit.
29 REPLIES 29

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
2 separate trailers. Open car hauler, small enclosed swap meet trailer. Classic air cooled Volkswagens.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Am curious what your dad's show cars are ?

My 2 seater and Nephew's 2 seater are around 165 inches long. My old MGB was about 13 feet long. Ditto TR3's, Morgan's and Tiger's

They are considered small...and they won't fit inside a 12 feet long trailer

Guessing a Midget, BugEye, or something like them.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Years ago the "HDPP" trucks were easily identified by the 7-lug wheels, and for a few years, an "F250" badge on the F150 body style (as opposed to an F250 badge on the Super Duty body style).

As far as I know, the HDPP trucks made in the last several years are visually identical to any other F150 on the road. The only way to identify them is to look at the stickers.

I take it Ford does not have a sticker in the glove compartment with all the option packages? With a GM all you need to know is the 3-letter/digit option code, and whether it appears on the glove compartment sticker.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize, my original post was a little misleading with the way I worded it. I should have proof read it a little closer. Not a troll, I read the posts here daily and contribute where I can. This has actually been a very helpful discussion. My dad has several show cars, and there is a chance he may haul one with the truck from time to time, so you post was actually very helpful to me even though I was on another thought process when I created the post.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Should have said that in your first post and when you were asked for the trailer specs

Maybe just troll...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Not hauling a car in the trailer. Itโ€™s a 6x12 enclosed trailer.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Personal experience with a โ€œsmall โ€œ, open car hauler for the Vette owned with three others back around 69...and current experience with daughters Uhaul open hauler

These were 7,000 lb GVWR open car hauler trailers. How much would an enclosed car hauler be?

An open hauler for most cars would be around 18โ€™ long for the bed...maybe less if the car is a subcompact/2-seater/etc

Open car haulers in that range should be around 1,500 to 2,000 lb range. The OPโ€™s father has a enclosed hauler. So it should weigh more...maybe 2,500 to 3,000 lbs

Small car should be in the +3,000 range...maybe a subcompact bit less. My Vette was listed at 3,000,but with the L88 we stuffed into it, it weighed several hundred lbs more

A full sized sedan might be 4,000 or more lbs

Then spare parts, tools, tire/wheels, misc stuff might be another few hundred lbs more...or they travel without any of these

So a #4 might be fine...or...not...we donโ€™t know what the heck the OPโ€™s father has in regards to an enclosed car hauler...

My small 2 seater weighs around 2,100 lbs with me in it...nephews small 2 seater weighs around 3,400 lb with him in it...same OEM, same model line...just about 40 years apart

โ€smallโ€ is subjective...as is โ€œsmallโ€ in regards to an enclosed car hauler...
-Ben Picture of my rig

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ben, snap out of it man! Go demand to get your b___s back out of your wifes purse immediately!

You're not going all weight cop on us now too....

For _____'s sake. The OP said small enclosed car hauler cargo trailer.

Unless you get the Secret Service model up armored with 3/8 steel plate on the walls and floor to protect from IED's and small arms fire, it's a ^$)@(*&%$ ing 3000-4000lb trailer headed to the swap meet to sell or collect junk.

Repeat it with me....

Yoooouuuuu caaaannnnn tooowwww aaaaaa trrrraaaaillllerrrrr wiiiithhhh aaaaaa haaaaallllffff tttonnnnnn truuuuckkkk. Itttt's ooooookkkkkkk.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The OP hasnt posted enough info for the advisors here....him following that advice and making very poor choice for his father

As the OP might purchase #4 in JIMNLINโ€™s quote below without checking the door label (as the OP has stated,that he does NOT wish to check labels) and that has the potential of being a dangerous setup...again, depending on his father's trailer specs

#4 is truly a grocery getter...there are cars and mid-sized trucks with similar RGAWRโ€™s...

Worse yet, if they are looking for a fully optioned F150...wonder if they make #4โ€™s in a crew configuration ?

JIMNLIN wrote:
snip...

If the truck is available to look at open the drivers side door and look at the GVWR placard. The HDPP will read 7850 gvwr on newer models or 8200 on the older models.

Ford also has several other F150 packages. look at the same door placard for these GVWR numbers.

#1. 7850 gvwr...4800 rawr....2500 lb in the bed payloads.

#2. 7600 gvwr...4550 rawr... 2200 lb in the bed payloads

#3. 7050 gvwr...4050 rawr... 1800 lb in the bed payloads

#4. 6800 gvwr...3800 rawr...1500 lb in the bed payloads.

All can have a max tow option however max tow doesn't increase payload.

snip...

Max tow has fooled many F150 owners into thinking it mans max towing. Example is the 6800 gvwr and tiny 3800 rawr can be had with max tow option. Max tow option is a good option....JMO the max tow is misleading to new folks.
-Ben Picture of my rig

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Honestly, for the use the OP is talking about, I would 100% NOT be fixated on a HDPP truck, but rather the best deal on a "new to him" F150 in his favorite color, engine and wheelbase.
1000s for sale that fit the bill vs the proverbial needle in the haystack, and you don't need the needle anyways.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Will a ford dealer do that with used trucks?

"My dad is searching for a new to him F-150"

Yea, I guess not unless he's a real nice guy LOL.

bid_time wrote:
danrclem wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
You need to find a Ford VIN decoder that will list the options of that vehicle. I have a link for Ram, but not for Ford.

What rhagfo said. I bet somebody on the F150 forum could help you find this information.
The vin decoder won't tell you the options on the truck.
Vin-Decoder
You need the window sticker to find out the options, and I don't know anywhere you can get that off the internet.
But I think (i'm not positive) all off the HDPP F150's are made at the Kansas City plant, that is in the Vin Decoder but it won't be definitive, as other F150's without the HDPP are made there as well.

I believe if you take the VIN to a Ford dealer they can run it and print out the build sheet with all the RPO codes. At one time they used to put them on a decal on the door jamb, like GM still does but in the glovebox.

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
You need to find a Ford VIN decoder that will list the options of that vehicle. I have a link for Ram, but not for Ford.

What rhagfo said. I bet somebody on the F150 forum could help you find this information.
The vin decoder won't tell you the options on the truck.
Vin-Decoder
You need the window sticker to find out the options, and I don't know anywhere you can get that off the internet.
But I think (i'm not positive) all off the HDPP F150's are made at the Kansas City plant, that is in the Vin Decoder but it won't be definitive, as other F150's without the HDPP are made there as well.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the truck is available to look at open the drivers side door and look at the GVWR placard. The HDPP will read 7850 gvwr on newer models or 8200 on the older models.

Ford also has several other F150 packages. look at the same door placard for these GVWR numbers.
#1. 7850 gvwr...4800 rawr....2500 lb in the bed payloads.

#2. 7600 gvwr...4550 rawr... 2200 lb in the bed payloads

#3. 7050 gvwr...4050 rawr... 1800 lb in the bed payloads

#4. 6800 gvwr...3800 rawr...1500 lb in the bed payloads.
All can have a max tow option however max tow doesn't increase payload.

Max tow per 2018 F150 fleet Ford website...;
Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranchยฎ, and Platinum models.

**Includes:
โ€ข 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
โ€ข 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
โ€ข 36 Gallon fuel tank
โ€ข Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
โ€ข Engine oil cooler
โ€ข Class IV trailer hitch receiver
โ€ข Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
โ€ข Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
โ€ข Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
โ€ข Upgraded front stabilizer bar
โ€ข Upgraded rear bumper

Requires 3.5L EcoBoostยฎ engine.
Does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately.
Max GCWR/Max Tow achieved on SuperCrewยฎ when equipped with 20-inch Wheels. This configuration will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear, and upgraded stabilizer bar.**

Max tow has fooled many F150 owners into thinking it mans max towing. Example is the 6800 gvwr and tiny 3800 rawr can be had with max tow option. Max tow option is a good option....JMO the max tow is misleading to new folks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I can testify they are hard to find. I was not looking used but when I bought my 2018 new I had a couple of dealers search for a new one. None to be found. Don't know if they can search for a used one. I ended up with a Heavy duty towing package,XLT,ECO. Payload sticker is 1790#. I put e rated tires on it and it meets our needs,and pulls great, although I would have bought the HDPP if I could have found one. Short of ordering new you may have a hard search. Good luck