Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Water pump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

4x4van wrote:

My Itasca has 2 water pump switches, no controller. It is wired just like 3-way light switches in a house. I can turn the pump on or off, from either location. If both switches are up, the pump is on. If both switches are down, the pump is on. If they do not match (i.e. one switch is up, the other switch is down), then the pump is off.

MOST RV's do NOT use the 3 position switch like you have. They go the cheap way and use 2 position switches when they do NOT use a controller. I based my statement on the thousands of RV's I work on over 40 years. Yours is the odd ball. GOOD oddball. You would be amazed at how many RV's I have "Fixed" over the years because the Rv'er could NOT turn the pump off due to the switch method the OEM used. Doug

I don't know about "most," however my Coachmen RV also has two switches for the water pump wired exactly as 4x4van describes. I can switch the pump on and off from both locations. Three way switches, despite the name, are not three position switches; they're just ordinary SPDT switches. Adding additional switches requires the middle ones to be DPDT switch, cross-wired like a reversing switch, which for house light switches is called a "four way" switch.

This is only marginally more expensive than two SPST switches in series or parallel; the main difference would be having to run another wire between the switches.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a few types of "Pump control systems"

One is a simple switch in the power line
One is a pair of "3 way" switches in the power line (Common for stairway lights in a house)

One or two is a collection of switches or buttons and a black box somewhere.

That is the one you have and low voltage will shut it off. NOW that you know. I would suggest just turning the pump on again.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

myface

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pump is ON. Kind of good future - shut the pomp when voltage goes too low.
Thanks all for help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.