cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Galveston area things to do

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Looking for things to do in the areas mentioned. will be there the 2nd weekend of July. I have found stuff to do, but looking for other recommendations. Ive tried looking up visitor guides, but haven't found anything with any real good info. most states/areas have gone away from printed guides. And their online guides are average at best? looking for attractions and good food (BBQ and such).

Ideas?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
10 REPLIES 10

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Take a four-day cruise down to Cozumel or Progresso. A friend just came back and said she and her gal pals loved it.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of good restaurants in Galveston. Though Gaido's is good and is an old favorite, I usually eat elsewhere due to the crowds. Good seafood at several other restaurants and very good Mexican food as well, especially at some of the more out of the way family run restaurants.

2112 pretty much covered the bases of things to see.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For more ideas do a Google search for `_____________ tourism' and put Galveston or other area/city in the blank space and read on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Explorer II
Explorer II
Sunflower Bakery
The Original Mexican Restaurant
Leon`s BBQ
Rudys and Pacos
The Strand
Moody Gardens
Bay Boat Tour

In Houston:
ZOO
Museum or Natural Science
Space Center Houston
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Thanks. We are taken the ferry over. We are leaving from New Orleans in the morning and heading to Galveston (Jamaica Beach). What about in Houston?

San Jacinto Monument (where the battle cry was "Remember the Alamo" and Texas became a Republic). Battleship Texas is also there but not open to the public as preparations are being made to move her to dry dock for major repairs.

Space Center Houston

Lots of Alligators up close and personal at Brazos Bend State Park

How long are you staying? The HUGE Houston Rodeo is in March
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
I second visitng the USS Calvalla, it is well worth seeing and because it is on land easy to access. There is also a sea turtle hatchery on the island that is interesting to visit.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We are taken the ferry over. We are leaving from New Orleans in the morning and heading to Galveston (Jamaica Beach). What about in Houston?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There's the pier. It has Bubba Gumps restaurant. Gaidos is the best restaurant in town. There really isn't all that much in town even though doewntown is very wakable and lots of stores to peruse. Driving around you can see the older architecture of the houses and buildings. There's Seawolf park. There's the Tall Ship Elissa and the maritime museum. Just go and relax,scoot around town and you will find things.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Stop by the Seawolf Park and see the submarine and destroyer on display. I'm a bit partial to the USS Cavalla because my grandfather served on it during WW II.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
Drive down to the Bolivar Ferry. There's a parking lot, park there instead of driving on. They will let you walk on. Go up the stairs and enjoy a great view over and back. Watch for dolphin - they are most always around.

And it's free!
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)