cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood hot water heater thermostat question

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
My hot water, which operates only on electric, gets too hot and I wish to cool it down a bit. I would like to order a thermostat that will activate (open) at a temp that is ten degrees cooler than what it does now. Have seen the adjustable units on ebay but would like to spend a lot less for just a fixed temp unit. The modules for sale on ebay seem to be the standard replacement ...and don't mention what temp they are set for. Can someone point me to an ebay thermostat that would fit the bill? Thx for any help!

Edit: googling found that Atwood thermostats are set at 140 degrees from the factory so I will look for a 130.
15 REPLIES 15

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91470-Thermostat/dp/B00A2TEBT0
Atwood 91470 Thermostat at Amazon $12.35
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I understand you can get both 120 and 140's for Atwood. Check with a Sticks and Bricks. not an online supplier. Look for part # 91470
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
tallpall888 wrote:
True...and we have had no problem with lack of hot water with this 10 gallon unit. There *is* a problem with the safety valve blowing occasionally and this is the second valve for that heater so the thinking is there is a problem with the thermostat letting the water heat too much. Replacing with even the standard temp sensor might have helped, but I don't anticipate the 130 degree unit I just ordered ($10 ebay) will be noticed.

The Pop OFF valve RARELY fails. What you have is a diminished AIR POCKET
in your Atwood tank. Doug

PRESSURE-TEMPERATURE RELIEF VALVE Weeping or dripping of a pressure-temperature relief valve while the water heater is running DOES NOT mean it is defective. This is normal expansion of water as it is heated in the closed water system of a recreation vehicle. The Atwood water heater tank is designed with an internal air gap at the top of the tank to reduce the possibility of weeping and dripping. In time, the expanding water will absorb this air. To replace the air follow these steps: Step 1: Turn off water heater Step 2: Turn off incoming water supply Step 3: Open the closest hot water faucet in the coach Step 4: Pull handle of pressure-temperature relief valve straight out and allow water to flow until it stops. Step 5: Allow pressure-temperature relief valve to snap shut, turn on water supply and close faucet.

I agree the air gap has to be there to absorb expansion of the heated water. I think you will find that the manual for the water heater instructs you how to do that.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
tallpall888 wrote:
True...and we have had no problem with lack of hot water with this 10 gallon unit. There *is* a problem with the safety valve blowing occasionally and this is the second valve for that heater so the thinking is there is a problem with the thermostat letting the water heat too much. Replacing with even the standard temp sensor might have helped, but I don't anticipate the 130 degree unit I just ordered ($10 ebay) will be noticed.

The ECO on your unit is at 180 degrees. Going from 140 to 130 is NOT going to stop your problem. Reinstalling the AIR GAP will. Doug

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atwood-91470-Water-Heater-T-Stat-Thermostat-130-Degree/114021153414?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Thank you all for your attention!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
tallpall888 wrote:

The Pop OFF valve RARELY fails. What you have is a diminished AIR POCKET
in your Atwood tank. Doug

PRESSURE-TEMPERATURE RELIEF VALVE Weeping or dripping of a pressure-temperature relief valve while the water heater is running DOES NOT mean it is defective. This is normal expansion of water as it is heated in the closed water system of a recreation vehicle. The Atwood water heater tank is designed with an internal air gap at the top of the tank to reduce the possibility of weeping and dripping. In time, the expanding water will absorb this air. To replace the air follow these steps: Step 1: Turn off water heater Step 2: Turn off incoming water supply Step 3: Open the closest hot water faucet in the coach Step 4: Pull handle of pressure-temperature relief valve straight out and allow water to flow until it stops. Step 5: Allow pressure-temperature relief valve to snap shut, turn on water supply and close faucet.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ggardne2 wrote:
Just for info most Atwood/Dometic water heaters have a front mounted thermostat that controls the 12V propane circuit and on the back of the heater there is a second thermostat that controls the 110V element. If you only change the front thermostat it will impact the propane temperature but will have no impact on the electric element temperature. Unless you have a rear access panel or access to the back of your water heater you will need to remove the water heater to access the thermostat for the electric element (at least on any Atwood I have experience with). You can verify this information by reviewing the wire diagrams in the manual to your water heater.

Atwoods more than 15 years ago had 120 and 12 volt(LP) tstats. Since then they use just 1 tstat for both modes. Doug

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't tried this adjustable thermostat but it's the only alternative offered that I know of. I think the OEM stats keep the water close to 140 degrees

https://www.rvtravel.com/video-how-to-install-an-adjustable-water-heater-thermostat/
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
Just for info most Atwood/Dometic water heaters have a front mounted thermostat that controls the 12V propane circuit and on the back of the heater there is a second thermostat that controls the 110V element. If you only change the front thermostat it will impact the propane temperature but will have no impact on the electric element temperature. Unless you have a rear access panel or access to the back of your water heater you will need to remove the water heater to access the thermostat for the electric element (at least on any Atwood I have experience with). You can verify this information by reviewing the wire diagrams in the manual to your water heater.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I put an adjustable t-stat on our water heater. I don't remember how long it lasted, maybe only a couple of years, but it didn't last.
Maybe today they will last longer. Go ahead and try it, just keep the original with you so you can put it back in if the new one dies.

Dusty

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
This maybe? Assuming it's an Atwood unit. I ordered one for my rig but haven't installed it yet.
Disregard this post if you've seen this one already. I just re-read your original post.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
turn down the hot. turn up the cold.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I always had the same problem w/ all my attwood heaters. I replaced the 140s w/ 120's still plenty hot. I got them at the RV parts places for about 20 bucks.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.