Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Atwood hot water heater thermostat question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood hot water heater thermostat question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tallpall888

Middle Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hot water, which operates only on electric, gets too hot and I wish to cool it down a bit. I would like to order a thermostat that will activate (open) at a temp that is ten degrees cooler than what it does now. Have seen the adjustable units on ebay but would like to spend a lot less for just a fixed temp unit. The modules for sale on ebay seem to be the standard replacement ...and don't mention what temp they are set for. Can someone point me to an ebay thermostat that would fit the bill? Thx for any help!

Edit: googling found that Atwood thermostats are set at 140 degrees from the factory so I will look for a 130.

* This post was edited 01/26/20 06:47pm by tallpall888 *

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV water heaters are designed to be extra hot which makes the small tank last longer. Just mix in Coldwater if it’s too hot for you.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always had the same problem w/ all my attwood heaters. I replaced the 140s w/ 120's still plenty hot. I got them at the RV parts places for about 20 bucks.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turn down the hot. turn up the cold.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This maybe? Assuming it's an Atwood unit. I ordered one for my rig but haven't installed it yet.
Disregard this post if you've seen this one already. I just re-read your original post.

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

tallpall888

Middle Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True...and we have had no problem with lack of hot water with this 10 gallon unit. There *is* a problem with the safety valve blowing occasionally and this is the second valve for that heater so the thinking is there is a problem with the thermostat letting the water heat too much. Replacing with even the standard temp sensor might have helped, but I don't anticipate the 130 degree unit I just ordered ($10 ebay) will be noticed.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago I put an adjustable t-stat on our water heater. I don't remember how long it lasted, maybe only a couple of years, but it didn't last.
Maybe today they will last longer. Go ahead and try it, just keep the original with you so you can put it back in if the new one dies.

Dusty

ggardne2

Livonia, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for info most Atwood/Dometic water heaters have a front mounted thermostat that controls the 12V propane circuit and on the back of the heater there is a second thermostat that controls the 110V element. If you only change the front thermostat it will impact the propane temperature but will have no impact on the electric element temperature. Unless you have a rear access panel or access to the back of your water heater you will need to remove the water heater to access the thermostat for the electric element (at least on any Atwood I have experience with). You can verify this information by reviewing the wire diagrams in the manual to your water heater.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't tried this adjustable thermostat but it's the only alternative offered that I know of. I think the OEM stats keep the water close to 140 degrees

[image]

https://www.rvtravel.com/video-how-to-in........l-an-adjustable-water-heater-thermostat/

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ggardne2 wrote:

Just for info most Atwood/Dometic water heaters have a front mounted thermostat that controls the 12V propane circuit and on the back of the heater there is a second thermostat that controls the 110V element. If you only change the front thermostat it will impact the propane temperature but will have no impact on the electric element temperature. Unless you have a rear access panel or access to the back of your water heater you will need to remove the water heater to access the thermostat for the electric element (at least on any Atwood I have experience with). You can verify this information by reviewing the wire diagrams in the manual to your water heater.

Atwoods more than 15 years ago had 120 and 12 volt(LP) tstats. Since then they use just 1 tstat for both modes. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood hot water heater thermostat question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.