cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for new tires?

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Nissan Titan 4WD is still running on the Goodyear Wranglers original tires. P265-70-R18. Date on them is 3613...so that makes them almost 6.5 years old. About 25,000 miles on them. Yes, 25,000 miles! Tread is worn about as one would expect. I don't really see an dry rot cracks on the sidewalls but am concerned about the age. My TT is a Jayco X17C hybrid so the amount of weight I'm towing is rather light. I'm a weekend type camper and usually stay within 100 miles of home.

Is it time for new tires? Or do I ride 'em for another 6 months to 1 year?
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
45 REPLIES 45

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
What difference will another 6 mos to a year make? Buy new ones now and enjoy the ride.
B.O.

X2, and old tires (like old batteries) always fail at the most inconvenient times!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
YES!

Last October I had a disastrous blowout on my Class C of a 5.5 year old Michelin. Iโ€™d had them all inspected by Discount Tire the day before. They looked perfect, had 4/32โ€™s of tread and were aired up to the ideal psi.

The damage totaled $4,131 and it could have been a lot worse as I was able to safely get over and off of the interstate. ANY tire over 5 years old is potentially dangerous and I will never own one again.

:C
What caused the blowout while driving?
Which Michelin tire model were you running? Who has model did you replace them with?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:
Grit...appreciate your humor...ya got me good with that one !!!

Good times! Adds a little levity to my otherwise serious day. All in fun Mr BenK.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the OP. Thanks for the input. To fill in some of the blanks;

In the past, my annual mileage was considerably higher and I wore the tires out before 6+ years...or traded before the tires were this old

I plan to trade this truck in 4 years or so as I prepare to retire and enjoy life! That's part of my thoughts of getting new tires and ride 'em for those 4 years (probably at 5,000 miles/year!) rather than wait a couple of years and trade my truck with nice, new tires!

My anecdote about old tires....I was running 18 year old Maxxis tires on my utility trailer that were on my previous TT. Pulled my golf cart to the repair shop (30 miles) and about 28.5 miles of the way home....that's when she blew!! Not a pleasant experience.
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Grit...appreciate your humor...ya got me good with that one !!!
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Theyre not usually the first thing to hit a tree.....lol

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion of tire date codes...really no difference than date codes on all of the packaged food products at your grocery store

Tires still have organics in its material list

โ€œOrganicโ€ decomposes over time...meaning it rots over time. Package food has much controversy over โ€œpreservativesโ€ added by the manufactures to extend the date codes...tires likewise and can be deadly if eaten...my guess

IMO...tire OEMs have varying blends of anti-rot chemicals and the why some have differing opinions of their tires longevity...or not

Also, IMHO, the why some that looked ok, but fell apart.

Tires see EVERYTHING before the rest of the vehicle...meaning that they are first to hit that rock, pothole, curb, etc...and within that tire are fabric cords/weave (some are metal) the main thing holding the organic material together...break or compromise those cords and a weak point...AKA stress raiser for later...

I drive VERY hard, so my tires get used up before their date code time limit (set by industry). Though I donโ€™t drive the Sub as much, so this a reminder to myself to check those tires more often...

Edit...main reason for the use of 303 on all of my tires, including bicycle tires. Inside and out side before they are mounted and often during the years of use
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
.:S

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Run em as long as the tread is good.

Reading this post and then seeing your signature makes me shake my head!

OH please explain.

All that money you've got tied up in your truck/5th wheel and you`d risk a blowout because they still look good!

If they are QUALITY tires like my โ€œHโ€ rated GYโ€™s I will run them at least 8 years.

Truck will be as long as they look good.

Thanks for the reply!

Yikes !!! 8 years on Goodyear trailer tires ,and your weight . Let us know how that works out. :h

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Marty youโ€™re screwed now, figuratively of course. Those dump truck tires probably fell apart while you slept last night after your statement above.
Good point about the โ€œotherโ€ causes of blowouts.
The tire date stamp police on rvnet automatically go to the age of the tires , ever since someone glued them in on how to tell how old a tire is. (Youโ€™ve seen the threads on here from folks who select tires like donuts at the bakery and refuse the day old ones).

Just like the recent thread in the C forum about the popped dually tire that did a bunch of damage. No one even knows why the tire blew, but itโ€™s assumed due to age.
In my measly 30 years of driving legally, the handful of flats Iโ€™ve had, not counting the GY marathon experience which has accounted for 3x the flats on only 3 trailers than ALL other vehicles combined....., I can account for road hazards or nails/screws for all but one flat. And that one was a blowout on an older tire on the back of a pickup. Of unknown history

blt2ski
I've had tires blow with in 12 months of purchasing. Usually due to s nail, screw or equal because one is in construction sites. Lots of nail flatners on the roads.
I too get less miles than say Cummins. As he notes, almost ALL freeway miles. A person like myself that does 90% on city county roads, stopping and starting 20- 50 times a day, will get fewer miles. Turning doesn't help either.
As noted by a few, take mileage claims as true, but whether you get said mileage, is another question.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have had geat service from Michelins.. Truck and Trailer.(Though my milage hasn't been as good as some report, but that goes for any tire I have run) Also on other vehicles, I like BFG AT/MUD terains.

Goodyear and especially Firestones have given me problems in the past.
I consider myself to be hard on tires.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I buy all of my tires from the Maypop Tire Store.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Run em as long as the tread is good.

That's what I would do also. I run tires until I feel them start getting wonky during a heavy rain or can tell they are giving up in the snow. Never cared about date codes.

If one wants to obsess themselves with date codes and internet forum foolishness / drama regarding them, they can have at it, enjoy.

Then they can run out and buy new. One of the fellows at the tire shop will be more than happy to have the old ones and run them for another mess of miles, after you pay them for disposal.

Yeah, what he said!