cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HOV Lanes in Atlanta GA

pee-paw
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know for sure if a motorhome with 2 occupants towing a car can use the HOV lanes in Atlanta? I talked with GTOD and they seemed to never heard of a motorhome towing before.
2009 Bounder 35H
2011 CRV Toad
25 REPLIES 25

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
I consider my rig is a bus and yes Iโ€™ve been using the Atlanta HOV lanes for 16 years but only a couple times/year.

You may consider your rig to be a bus, but the state considers it to be a "motorhome" or "house car" or something along those lines. Legally speaking it's neither a bus nor a truck; laws or regulations that apply specifically to trucks and/or busses do not apply to motorhomes.

I take the advice from my granddaughter who is married to a LEO & lives in GA - and she says if it looks like a bus and sounds like a bus - it's a bus. Since you don't live in GA - the advice is sound.

As long as the OP doesn't pick high traffic times to go thru Atlanta, they should be fine.
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Atlanta HOV rules. Notice that NO Trailers or towed vehicles are listed. So, if you tow, you could be fined. I doubt they would pull you over if keeping with flow of traffic. BUT, if you have a problem and impeded the HOV, they will probably issue a ticket. Doug
JUST FOUND THIS IN ATLANTA HOV and EXPRESS rule.

Vehicles with 2+ axles and/or 6+ wheels will not be allowed in the Express Lanes, as is the case in the HOV lanes.

as is the case in the HOV lanes.

The following vehicles may use HOV Lanes:

Vehicles with two or more (living and not pre-infant) persons.
Emergency Vehicles (Law Enforcement, Fire, Emergency Medical)
Motorcycles
Buses
Alternative Fuel vehicles properly licensed with an AF license plate.

The Express Lanes are outside I-285, the HOV are inside. Two very different types of lanes. HOV are free, express are toll. There is much signage prohibiting towing in the express lanes
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was stopped in Atl. in 2005 while riding the hov lane in my MH. I was pulling a car trailer with my vette and BMW bike on it. Officer that stopped me said he did so because I was the only one he saw in the coach. I told him I thought I was legal because motorcycles and bus's were allowed and My wife stuck her head out and asked him if he would like a cold drink.
He just chuckled a little took a coke and sent me on my way. What they would do today I have no idea but I still travel hov when my wife is with me.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I consider my rig is a bus and yes Iโ€™ve been using the Atlanta HOV lanes for 16 years but only a couple times/year.

You may consider your rig to be a bus, but the state considers it to be a "motorhome" or "house car" or something along those lines. Legally speaking it's neither a bus nor a truck; laws or regulations that apply specifically to trucks and/or busses do not apply to motorhomes.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I consider my rig is a bus and yes Iโ€™ve been using the Atlanta HOV lanes for 16 years but only a couple times/year. There is a difference between HOV and the newer express toll roads that require a Sun, Peach, or NC transponder to use and NO, I do not use them in the MH.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Executive wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

From the Atlanta rules, you ARE violating the Law. Doug

I saw a guy run a red light yesterday. He didn't get pulled over. So, based on that, I guess it's ok to run red lights now.....:S...Dennis

I was just letting that man know that while he can do what he is doing it is still a violation of the law. You can violate the law all the time. NOT getting caught is not an excuse to violate the law. Doug

'Executive' is a former LEO and I'm sure was agreeing with you but just being a bit facetious. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Kentucky Red Lights are an option only stop if you want ! Stop signs are the same

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
pee-paw wrote:
Does anyone know for sure if a motorhome with 2 occupants towing a car can use the HOV lanes in Atlanta? I talked with GTOD and they seemed to never heard of a motorhome towing before.
Why would you want to? To be a roadblock? Stay to the right where big rigs belong.

Could not disagree more. When I'm doing the speed limit (or a bit more) I "belong" where similar traffic is traveling. If you are that guy doing 55 in a 70 zone you are creating a hazard to the other drivers, even in the right lane.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
pee-paw wrote:
Why would you want to? To be a roadblock? Stay to the right where big rigs belong.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I asked a GST at an RS about driving my MH and toad in the HOV. He said wasn't sure if the toad was a trailer or a frog. A frog would be legal.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
No vehicle towing trailers in the HOV lanes or the toll lanes in the metro Atlanta area.
\

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
No vehicle towing trailers in the HOV lanes or the toll lanes in the metro Atlanta area.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I do it all the time. First with MH ad toad or car trailer and now with fiver. Keep up with traffic and you will be fine.

From the Atlanta police officer, They don't care. You are safer in those lanes as long as you are moving with traffic but I guess you guys tat unlike me DON"T live in the Atlanta area know more about what is acceptable than someone who LIVES here.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I do it all the time. First with MH ad toad or car trailer and now with fiver. Keep up with traffic and you will be fine.

I saw a guy run a red light yesterday. He didn't get pulled over. So, based on that, I guess it's ok to run red lights now.....:S...Dennis

I was just letting that man know that while he can do what he is doing it is still a violation of the law. You can violate the law all the time. NOT getting caught is not an excuse to violate the law. Doug