cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Wheel Prep

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if my 2016 Chevy 2500HD gas 6.0 would have the fifth wheel prep already installed? I’m thinking it does not because there are no puck covers in the bed. We’ve been TT people for years and are looking at a smaller (8500K) FW and we’re trying to learn more about what’s needed before we buy. I’ve done some research and need to stop at my local truck accessory shop and see what they say. I’d like an under bed installation with no rails in the bed. Anyone with this truck towing a FW that can give some input would be great.
Thanks in advance
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
13 REPLIES 13

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Mikesr wrote:
Does anyone know if my 2016 Chevy 2500HD gas 6.0 would have the fifth wheel prep already installed?

It doesn't appear that the 5th wheel prep was available on the gas engine trucks.

Read this article It talks about Sierra, but seems like it would apply to Chevy as well.

But that link says "6.0L V8 SFI Gaseous engine (LC8)" The 6.0L V-8 LC8 is a dedicated Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) (vans only) version of the L96 6.0 engine.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a gooseneck hitch installed then go with a system that uses that such as the B&W Companion or Anderson, I'm sure there are others. Then when you take the hitch out, you have just a ball or turnover ball in my case. You also have the advantage of being able to haul a gooseneck trailer if you ever need to. I have the B&W Companion and it does come out in pieces, but it is heavy. Takes 2 people for the base.

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
I never seen the factory puck system until the 2020's with the holes stamped out rolling down the final line... I work where they build the HD trucks.. my 2016 did not but my 2020 does. Unless the 2016's were factory installed where they do the spray in bedliners prior to the 2020 model

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Mikesr wrote:
Does anyone know if my 2016 Chevy 2500HD gas 6.0 would have the fifth wheel prep already installed?

It doesn't appear that the 5th wheel prep was available on the gas engine trucks.

Read this article It talks about Sierra, but seems like it would apply to Chevy as well.

If would be interesting to know if the gas truck frame is missing the mounting flanges or blind nut in frame rails for the pucks. To the OP find at similar model with a diesel and look under the bed for the mounting brackets. My RAM 3500 had the flanges on both the inside and out side of the frame rails. So the bed had to be raised a few inches to drop the pucks in place before installing the two bolts for each puck. On 2500 the outer flange was bolt on, so the bed did not have to be raised. How GM did it I do not know. GM may have just not offered it on the gas trucks based on power output, not a frame difference.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great input and suggestions.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I added the pucks to my 2015 RAM 3500, I had to lift the bed one side at a time. Took about 4 hours working by myself to install the four pucks, drilling the four holes(had to order the correct size drill online) and in bed wiring kit.

Check with dealer to see if the pucks are available for your year/model. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mikesr wrote:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had the gooseneck system ordered in mine (although you can put them in anytime). One puck in the center of the bed. I then used Curts goosneck to RV conversion attachment to pull the RV. Works well, keeps from having to have rails in the bed. The RV conversion piece attaches to the gooseneck ball. I dont have a link handy, but I am sure it is on Curts website. This might be an option for you as well.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing you need to find out is if the puck system was available for your truck. If it is, it's as simple as going to the dealership and buying the parts, and then finding a custom hitch shop to install them. My last two trucks did not have the option factory installed, so I bought the parts, and had a shop install them - it is not necessary to remove/lift the bed.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
My '19 did not come with them either and I think to add the factory hardware is not exactly a do it yourself job unless your good at that sort of stuff as I believe you would have to lift the bed. Another option might be to add a goose ball and a B&W Companion for a clean bed. I went with the rails again in mine as I personally don't mind the rails. They actually make a really good stop for a lot of my tool boxes I put in the back of the truck, keeps them from sliding forward if I hit the brakes to hard.;)

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IDK for sure what year GM started with the puck system, but 16 would be close. If the frame is the same as later models, a truck center could easily install the under bed hardware, and needed bed holes for attaching the hitch. Best hitch...B&W 3700 for oem pucks.

Jerry

IF you find that you do NOT have the kit, going with rail kits are the way.
I have a 2 year old Pullrite Superglide ( 20k ) that has the rail kit. all you do is remove the hitch ( in pieces ) remove 4 pins and the rails come off the pins. Rotate the pins and they pull out of the mounting frame below the bed .
You now have a completely empty bed.

I am sending a PM about mine
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

camper1013
Explorer
Explorer
If there are no puck covers it would not have the factory system.