cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not enough space for lugs on post of battery isolator

enskpo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm replacing the cole hersee battery isolating solenoid because it's been working intermittently. The replacement is the exact part except the studs are about 1/8 shorter, and I can't fit all three of the lugs on the stud with room enough to screw the nut on top of them to hold them down.

I'm thinking I need to buy a heavy duty bus bar in order to get these connected, but I don't know what size. Since the starter battery delivers 975 cca do I need a $130 1000 amp bus bar? Or am I going down the wrong track?
Erik
1986 34' Itasca Windcruiser
Chevy P30 454
14 REPLIES 14

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
This is probably a better solution Blue Sea Power Post

A GOOD CHOICE. Personally, not a fan of copper water pipe bus bars as they don't have easy peesey short out guards like the example.

These are available on the shelf at Fisheries Supply down on Northlake Ave in Seattle -very near Gas Works Park.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure nuts with half the threads would allow proper torque, and you sure don't want those high amp hots coming loose.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Ace hardware carries 'jam nuts' which are nuts of half thickness.

I just used some on an alternator + output stud to free up more room for stacked terminals and homemade threaded copper nuts to avoid the steel nut from having to carry most of the current to ring terminal.

Make sure terminals can rest against each other flat before using the nut to compress them.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably a better solution Blue Sea Power Post

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out BLUE SEA Products sold by AMAZON... My battery bank uses those HD Blue Seas four spade lugs terminals with covers... Got one painted BLACK for ground and RED for positive...

Google image...

I usually will only stack two connections to one terminal post...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know about all RV's but my little Toyota sitting next to the house with a mostly OE system, the isolator is 100 amps continuous protected by 40 amp circuit breakers. So theoretically except for brief surges the most that can pass through there is 40 amps.

If I were in this situation I would likely flatten a piece of copper pipe and drill a couple holes. On the other hand an internet search will reveal all types of terminal extenders, expanders etc. Of course you will have to find the post size and thread size to match one up.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google Battery Post extender.$8-$10
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belt sander and make the nuts a little thinner maybe? Or find thinner nuts at hardware store?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I second BFLโ€™s suggestion.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on the size of the lug.... There is a product you can get at a battery store that is a bolt/nut.. Basically it's a lug extender

It may have long enough threads or you can put one lug under the extender and tighten it down then put the other 2 on it (or the other way around)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
What I would do is just get a short #1AWG and bolt (really tight!)all four lugs together, then put the #1's other lug on the solenoid. Wrap the bolt and four lugs in tape for insulation.

Of course everyone will be appalled and want you to spend the $130 ๐Ÿ™‚

Great recommendation. I have done this and it works great but over time encountered a bit of corrosion where the wires are grouped together. Still a good solution.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to get a short length of copper water pipe, flatten it in a vice, and drill suitably.

The bus bar or whatever simply needs to be sufficient for the current flowing through it, not for the theoretical rating of the starting battery. At least in my RV that would be determined by the master fuses at either end of the solenoid, or something like 175A if I recall. Failing that, the wire sizes give some clues as to what to expect.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
What I would do is just get a short #1AWG and bolt (really tight!)all four lugs together, then put the #1's other lug on the solenoid. Wrap the bolt and four lugs in tape for insulation.

Not at all, Macgyver. That's simple and brilliant. :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.