cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas Hill Country Ideas

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to the San Antonio/Hill Country area the first week in April for a 7-10 day trip. Any campground suggestions close enough for a day trip or two into San Antonio? We stayed in the Kerrville years ago, but interested in other ideas and campgrounds as well. We have a 37' Fifth wheel.
Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We just left that area! We stayed at Potters Creek Corp of Engineers Campground on Canyon Lake. We took day trips to San Antonio to visit all sites also Gruene, quaint little town. So much to do in area. Potters creek is a beautiful campground and nice large sites! Hope this helps!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

Mannon89
Explorer
Explorer
April is a great time to me in the hill country for seeing bluebonnets and other wildflowers, Especially Highway 16 from Fredericksburg To Llano.
:Having:B fun traveling down the road with my sweetie (spouse of 35+years)

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't stay in San Antonio. That's not The Hill Country. Hill Country is somewhat North of San Antonio, and West of Austin. West of I-35. Along US 287 N is where you're going to find The Hill Country.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
On Hwy 281, between Blanco & Spring Branch (closer to Spring Branch) is the Share Tree Saloon & Grill. Unique place with THE best burger we had in Texas.
Looks likes a biker bar, but everyone was extremely friendly and cordial as it was obvious we were tourist as we drove up in our class C.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
While the parks on 281 are nice, there is a lot of road construction between the parks and downtown. The traffic can be horrendous, particularly during rush hours. The same holds true for parks located off I10 between downtown and Boerne. For convenience sake, Iโ€™d say to stay either at the KOA or Travelerโ€™s World. Havenโ€™t stayed at the latter, but have read that many find it convenient. We have a 36 ft fifth wheel and had no problems at the KOA.

In addition to the previously mentioned activities, the Briscoe Western Art Museum is worth a visit. The boat rides on the river are informative and entertaining. I would recommend Boudroโ€™s, on the river(southwestern food, not necessarily TexMex), as well as Zinc, which is an interesting downtown bar with really good food. You can sit in or outside in either restaurant. Zinc is not on the river but does have an interesting space and is good for lunch. The Pearl is a fun place to visit. On Saturday there is a Farmerโ€™s Market, there are restaurants and shops. The area was the home of the old Pearl Brewery and has been transformed into an entertainment, restaurant and hotel venue. It is fun to visit the Hotel Emmaโ€™s lobby. For TexMex, try Mi Tierra. It is touristy, but the food is pretty good. We like El Jarro out on 281 at Bitters. They have live music on Friday and Saturday nights and great Margaritas. If you do a search on this forum you should find a lot more about San Antonio and Fredericksburg.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
there is a nice state park at Blanco, TX, on 281, about 30 miles north of san antonio.
there is an rv park just north of Spring Branch, TX on 281, about 20 miles north of san antonio.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
I 2nd Guadalupe River State Park. We really enjoyed that place, and it's not far from San Antonio. We put our bikes in the pickup and biked the Mission Trail, visited the River Walk all in one day.

April might have some chilly water but the state park itself has a nice swimming hole you can access right from the campground.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Bandera, TX Skyline Ranch

Neat day trips out from there. Lost Maples State Park and on the way,
a Motorcyle Museum with great food.

Kerrville... Fredricksburg.... Blue Bonnets are awesome.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed here last year, really nice upscale park. Don't miss the Alamao, Fredricksburg has a Pacific War museum, lots of craft beer places & craft shops. I wasn't fond of all the people walking the streets with drinks oblivious of others.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/texas/castroville/alsatian-resort-golf-club-15252
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
A bit north, but personally we think Inks Lake SP is one of the top state parks in the entire nation. Amazingly beautiful in early April. Spring and flower season starts in early March in San Antonio region and goes north quickly.

Agree spilt the trip. A few days in SA and then move into the hills.

(Edited for spelling.)
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. This gives us a good start.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Luckenbach

Where you met Waylon, Willie and the boys.
Bill and Joey the dog

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're near Fredericksburg take the Willow City Loop to see the wild flowers, if they're still in bloom. We hit the loop about the same time last year and was totally blown away. Then trek on to Lukenbach!!! It's a must. I'm not a big country & western fan, but this place is worth seeing, and it's free, unless you drink beer & buy souvenirs.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Fredericksburg at the ladybird Johnson Park. Really enjoyed the downtown area and local vineyards. Watched the bats come out of the tunnel was amazing.

In San Antonio we stayed at the San Antonio KOA. Just take the bus to the River Walk. No need to worry about finding a parking spot.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg