cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 chevy 1 ton dually

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact%20H/T&partnum=38R7TCHT&tab=Survey

anyone use these tires on a 1 ton dually, i am towing a 12,000 lb 5th wheel.

These are for my truck?
11 REPLIES 11

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
machunt wrote:
I had new tires installed onmy dually, and they insisted on only putting 60lbs in the rear 4 tires and 78 in the front. i see on the placard it calls for 60 in the rear, they are 80psi tires. i always ran at 80 psi when towing. why 60psi

Empty, 35 psi in the 4 rear tires will give you a much better ride. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
machunt wrote:
I had new tires installed onmy dually, and they insisted on only putting 60lbs in the rear 4 tires and 78 in the front. i see on the placard it calls for 60 in the rear, they are 80psi tires. i always ran at 80 psi when towing. why 60psi

Do the math. To โ€œneedโ€ the full 80psi in rear duals, youโ€™d need to have about 10klbs on the rear axle.
Otherwise, run whatever pressure you need for the weight.
You can run too high of pressure if you want. It will only result in a rougher ride, less traction and potentially premature tire wear (but not prevalent on skinny Dually tires)
When I used to plow snow with a dually, with only a 1000-2000lbs in the bed for traction, Iโ€™d run the rear tires at 25-30psi, similar to when driving with no weight in back.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
machunt wrote:

60PSI gives the tires the load carrying capacity to carry the factory rating of the truck. It's the pressure of the air in the tire that gives them their weight-carrying ability. 80PSI on a Load Range E tire gives you its maximum capacity. Maximum capacity on the tire is not needed to reach maximum capacity on the axle, so 60PSI.

For liability reasons, the installer will not exceed the door sticker. You can do whatever you want after you've driven off their lot, but they are not going to exceed manufacturer's specifications, even if you say it's okay.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:

60 is plenty in the rear of a dually because you have 4 tires taking the load rather than 2. The bonus of this is that the truck rides much better with lower air pressure. I run 80 psi in the fronts, though.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

machunt
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
machunt wrote:
Wow, i didnt think i was causing such a mess.

Simply asking if the above tires which are the right size would be a good choice for my truck? 2013 chevy 1 ton dually 4x4. towing a 5th wheel around 12,000 lbs

Umm, sure theyโ€™re perfect.
Or, no, theyโ€™re totally wrong for your application.
Or somewhere in between.

Since we have no idea how you use your truck or what characteristics you want out of a tire, other than itโ€™s hooked to a 5ver sometimes, we canโ€™t say.
Do ya go muddin thru cornfields?
Use it in the snow?
Tow things in the snow?
Garage queen that only sees blue skies and sunny days?

blt2ski
Tires are very personal in type, tread design etc.
Not sure what version you have chosen, highway tread vs traction or AT on a 4x IMHO, does not matter. Depends on your driving style and where. If all highaw, go with an agressive rib design. A bit of off road, snow etc th an AT. If off-road in mud etc, better go traction.

I've had two sets of continental, no issues.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, i didnt think i was causing such a mess.

Simply asking if the above tires which are the right size would be a good choice for my truck? 2013 chevy 1 ton dually 4x4. towing a 5th wheel around 12,000 lbs

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
If your truck is 4WD, I'd get something along the lines of an AT tire.

Cooper Discoverer AT/3 is a good choice. I run that on my truck
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Theyโ€™re tires, Continental is good quality afaik. Your truck wonโ€™t care.
Use them if theyโ€™re the ones you want.
(Didnโ€™t read the link, but presuming theyโ€™re the right size and load rating, in case that was part of the rather vague question. )

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
These are for my truck?

Not sure what you mean with the above phrase being stated as a question.
Bob