cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram too high?

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking into getting a Grand design Reflection: 150 Series 260RD. My truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 with the diesel. Presently I own a Keystone Sprinter. It rides nose high, which puts a lot of strain on the back axle which will probably wear out the bearings prematurely. I'd like to reach out to someone with a similar setup and whether or not the truck-trailer rides level?
11 REPLIES 11

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 16โ€™ Ram 3500 and once we dropped our Fifth wheel on it, they were almost dead set level.
The added weight brought it to that point so you should be fine.
Plus as others have said you can make adjustments at various points.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Should have an alternate ride height on you ram air ride system. I get about 2โ€ with my 3500 which only puts me 1โ€ nose high on my bighorn 39MB.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

Spacecowboy7
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the spring height is adjustable on the Grand Design trailers, ask your dealer, or call Grand design directly.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
(I started out pulling my GD 303RLS with a 2017 Ram 2500 4X4 with a B&W Companion hitch)

That trailer is a full sized unit and not the same as a 1/2 ton towable. I would be too close to my GVWR with that hitch weight. The rims on a 1/2 ton towable is 14 inches and overall height different as well.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a no no for trailers braking systems. With 14" on the rear and 15" on the front we have different wheel speeds which the brake controller can't compensate. Which leads to one axle braking differently than the other usually resulting in severally flat spotting tires on one axle.

Plus two different wheel sizes means two different spare tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

doughboy
Explorer
Explorer
if your 5th wheel has 15"tires on it. why not change the tires on the 2nd axle to 14" tires? wouldn't that take some of the load off the axle?
just saying
Larry, Lisa, and a dog named "Pepperjack"
2000 Excursion,Toreador red,diesel
2013 cruiser, viewfinder,
Waitin for my ship to come in

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Road Phantom wrote:
I'm looking into getting a Grand design Reflection: 150 Series 260RD. My truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 with the diesel. Presently I own a Keystone Sprinter. It rides nose high, which puts a lot of strain on the back axle which will probably wear out the bearings prematurely. I'd like to reach out to someone with a similar setup and whether or not the truck-trailer rides level?

My old Komfort, with 11,360 GVW rode probably 4" nose high for the 13 years I owned it and, when I had the bearings and seals changed out, the mechanic said I could easily have reused the old bearings as there was no significant wear on them. For the price, a set of new Timkens wasn't going to break the bank. Dexter 5200 lb axles with E tires. =shrug=

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have torsion axles? the equalizer (center pivot) on tandem trailer axles equalizes the loads between the two axles...even if slightly off.

Actually the equalizer bars allows the axles to step over humps and dips independently but don't fully equalize the load between two axles.
I attended a seminar put on by Kaufman equipment trailers some time ago for their commercial customers about the difference in axle loads if the trailers deck wasn't level and axles were weighed separately..... and other pros and cons of running with a level/unlevel trailer.
They had different size trailers with different hitch to the axle distances which made the most differences in F to R axle loading. Trailers like rvs with axles closer to the hitch showed greater rear axle load differences than a same size trailer with axles placed farther aft. Example would be a 36' tandem axle 5th wheel trailer vs a 36' equipment trailer with axles much farther aft.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
I started out pulling my GD 303RLS with a 2017 Ram 2500 4X4 with a B&W Companion hitch. Truck and trailer were level. I now pull the same trailer with a 2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD and I'm still level. Both trucks were the same height when measured from the open tailgate to the ground. The B&W can be adjusted for height - so if you are not level, you may consider another hitch.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well a quick way to see how bad it would be would be to measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the 5er overhang on your current sprinter and the Grand Design on level ground that you are looking at. This will give you an idea on how level or nose high the new unit will tow. I would also compare the pin weights heaver will squat the TV a lit tie more.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have torsion axles? the equalizer (center pivot) on tandem trailer axles equalizes the loads between the two axles...even if slightly off.

I'm not talking about if you bottom out one of the springs on the frame...that would be extreme.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion