cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Guard Protector..????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy one for my 2004 TT. never had one before and I see there are 3 models available...My TT doesn't have a lot of electronics in other than a 60 amp convertor, refer and A.C unit along with the other standard plugs etc...
Any suggestions as to which one might be good enough for my older TT??

middle of the line....
beginning model......https://www.campingworld.com/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp-73993.htmlhttps://www.campingworld.com/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp-73993.html

best....https://www.campingworld.com/southwire-surge-guard-portable-30-amp-120-volt-wireless-communication-c...https://www.campingworld.com/southwire-surge-guard-portable-30-amp-120-volt-wireless-communication-capable-surge-protector-118086.html

https://www.campingworld.com/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp-73993.html
CHEAPEST MODEL

Thanks for any suggestions...
37 REPLIES 37

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, all we're measuring is RMS (Root Mean Squared) voltages - not the actual peak to peak voltage. Any device that can't cut power before the top of the very first cycle allows that full blast to enter your RV.

Surge Protectors and circuit breakers are electro-mechanical devices and will allow a cycle or two at minimum to pass before they open a circuit in the event of a surge or short circuit. For maximum protection, you need to have a fuse protecting the circuit.

Watch this video and learn about the differences between fuses and circuit breakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dckmSgp1nw

It's a real eye opener!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sola Basic autoformer has three levels of boost at 110, 100, and 90 volts. It has one buck at 135 volts. These "trigger" points are adjustable and I've moved mine up to 113 volts.

It will not protect from 240 volts so far as I am aware.

It behooves the rv owner to check voltage and polarity under load before plugging in their RV.

I limit my demand to 80% of the amperage available. 12 on 15 amp, 24 on 30, and 40 on 50.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œAuto former is a totally different piece of equipmentโ€

Good to know, CAVIE, that an autoformer is TOTALLY different! Except you are wrong. Catch up!

Per Hughes at: https://hughesautoformers.com/product/30-amp-3600-watt-booster-with-surge/

โ€œIntroducing the Worldโ€™s Only โ€œAll-in-Oneโ€ RV Power Solution.

The legendary, original, and patented RV voltage booster, now with the worldโ€™s most advanced surge protection.

The all new Hughes Autoformer 30 amp power boosting autoformer (RV2130SP) has the same performance and reliability of the RV2130 but now has advanced surge protection built in! The unit offers 2,400 Joules of surge protection. As an added feature, the surge / spike protection module is also replaceable. In the event of a massive spike, the surge unit will take the hit ensuring your booster and more importantly, your RV is not damaged.โ€

No. Lwidds you have fallen for the ad-man's glib line.. The Hughes is an autoformer. boost only far as I know with MOV's to supress spikes and yes they can be replaced.

If you get a real surge (Like 2 second surge) the MOV's sound like firecrackers as they "Blow up" (not much of an explosion)

ANd they do nothing to protret you Plug a 30 amp rig intto a 240 volt outlet or a TT-30 wired for 240 They go BANG and you get fried.

Both the southwire and Progressive Industries units protect you

Open neutral. open ground. Power "Blink" they do nothing for you both PI and Southwire do,

The Hughes just corrects the voltage if its close enough and clips spikes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dtank wrote:
IMO- If a park can't supply adequate electrical service w/o a "boost" from an autoformer, I'll move on down the road.

Then you will be moving a LOT.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Good to know, CAVIE, that an autoformer is TOTALLY different! Except you are wrong. Catch up!

Per Hughes at: https://hughesautoformers.com/product/30-amp-3600-watt-booster-with-surge/

The legendary, original, and patented RV voltage booster, now with the worldโ€™s most advanced surge protection.

The all new Hughes Autoformer 30 amp power boosting autoformer (RV2130SP) has the same performance and reliability of the RV2130 but now has advanced surge protection built in! The unit offers 2,400 Joules of surge protection. As an added feature, the surge / spike protection module is also replaceable. In the event of a massive spike, the surge unit will take the hit ensuring your booster and more importantly, your RV is not damaged.โ€

several years ago, an electrician friend had occasion to visit the Hughes facility for repairs to his Autoformer. They allowed him into the workshop area.
He was not impressed by their workmanship (and some internal wire sizes). Maybe things have changed.

Some parks will not allow you to use an autoformer. So you must do so in "stealth" mode. No clue how they would know whether you are using one or not.

IMO- If a park can't supply adequate electrical service w/o a "boost" from an autoformer, I'll move on down the road.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I also suggest the Progressive Industries EMS.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
joelyn wrote:
THANKS... CHECKED IN TO THE SOUTHWIRE SURGE PROTECTION and I do see a difference in the joules, the progressive EMS-PT30X has 1790 JOULES and the SOUTHWIRE has a 2450 JOULES rating. Is 660 JOULES difference that big of thing???? I still like the PROGRESSIVE look and cover but if 660 JOULES (not even sure what they are, LOL) is that much better maybe I will rethink...................THANKS

SOUTHWIRE 34931 MODEL...

I did not know Southwire upgraded my warranty when they bought the product from TRC thanks.

but your question about Joles
Joles is a unit of energy When SPIKES hit the bigger the Spike the more energy (Joles) it contains.. So that number is how much SPIKE supression. This has nothing to do with low voltage, current or plugging into 240 volts by mistake all of which the computer in both the Progressive Industries and the Southwire handle.. but SPIKES fast transients normally lasting only 1/60th second or less.. You never notice 'em till they fry you.

YOu can add more of that kind of protection if you like the "cheap" "Surge Guards" are really additional spike supression.

I have 3 sets of spike supressors on this RV
The Hughs Autoformer has soem
The Surge Guard
And a "Whole house" box I bought long before the RV and never installed in the sticks and bricks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:

My TT doesn't have a lot of electronics in other than a 60 amp convertor, refer and A.C unit along with the other standard plugs etc...
Any suggestions as to which one might be good enough for my older TT??

Old or new RV.....You don't want to "CHEAP OUT" - here's why, and see what *did* happen to lots of A.C. units, refers, etc.:

The Electrician said "OOPS"...:(

*Be sure to read the second post by "bill socal" further down the first page of the thread - -

The electrician said "oops"...a little more"

:W

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:
My recommendation is to go with the best PI unit that you can get. This is no place to skimp. I have seen under ground faults from one pedestal To Another causing very high voltage to enter the RV and did considerable damage. I personally have the best that PI offers.
My PI unit plugs into the pedestal and hangs right there. I have had it for over 15 years and it has never been stolen. I personally prefer the portable one rather than the hardwired unit.

Hard wired or portable - PI is the best way to go, with the best warranty.

Autoformer is a "nice to have". The PI is "essential" to have.

Do your research - and "search" (on the topic) here.

BTW - pass on Campingworld...:(

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
joelyn wrote:

THANKS... CHECKED IN TO THE SOUTHWIRE SURGE PROTECTION and I do see a difference in the joules, the progressive EMS-PT30X has 1790 JOULES and the SOUTHWIRE has a 2450 JOULES rating. Is 660 JOULES difference that big of thing???? I still like the PROGRESSIVE look and cover but if 660 JOULES (not even sure what they are, LOL) is that much better maybe I will rethink...................THANKS

Joules are a measure of energy, in this case energy that can be absorbed from transient surges. ("Surges" here mean quick spikes that are significantly higher voltage than expected.) Neither are anywhere near what it would take to protect from a very close lightning strike, which is probably the most common cause of significant surge damage. I would not worry about that difference one bit.

Drew E u were spot on in ur explanation of joules. here is a pretty good article to read if anyone else out there is looking for info on a EMS plug.....

What Are Joules And Are They A True Indicator Of Product Quality?

Among the other specifications found in the above 'surge protectors' for RVs reviews, you will see the joule rating displayed.

You will notice that the Southwire 'surge protectors' have a higher joule rating than the Progressive Industries 'surge protectors'. But what does this mean and is it important?

First, let's explain what a Joule is. I don't know about you, but my eyes bug out when I read Wikipedia's definition of Joule. So let's see if we can simplify what it is.

A Joule in the context of RV 'surge protector' for RVs is the maximum amount of energy that a 'surge protector' can absorb and dissipate as heat.

This comes into play when there is a voltage spike or power surge in the power supply. So in theory, the higher the Joule rating the better. But does this really matter?

One of the MOST important factors when looking at a surge protection for RVs is the response time.

In other words, how quickly the camper 'surge protector' will respond, for example, to a sudden voltage spike.

You want this to be an incredibly small number, so that the power supply issue doesn't have a chance to damage your RV.

The Progressive Industries 'surge protectors' for RVs have a response time of less than 1 nanosecond (one billionth of a second). That's a really small number, and thus a really fast response time.

So while Progressive Industries might have a lower Joule rating than Southwire, it really doesn't matter.

The Progressive Industries unit will have disconnected from the faulty power source before the excessive energy needs to be dissipated, thus protecting your RV.

This in one of the many reasons we picked Progressive Industries as having the best RV 'surge protectors'.
Portable Or Permanent Surge Protector?

HERE IS THE ENTIRE ARTICLE IF ANYONE WANTS TO READ IT......................

SURGE PROTECTOR INFO

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
joelyn wrote:

Joules are a measure of energy, in this case energy that can be absorbed from transient surges. ("Surges" here mean quick spikes that are significantly higher voltage than expected.) Neither are anywhere near what it would take to protect from a very close lightning strike, which is probably the most common cause of significant surge damage. I would not worry about that difference one bit.

Great explanation and advice. Guess I will stay with the PROGRESSIVE since that had had the better reviews from what I have been reading.
Thank u for ur response..

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
I see posts like this hard wire so it won't get stolen. How many thefts in CG's are there?? Years camping and never lost a thing, camp setup & gone all day. Worked an area with a state park with over a million visitors, one theft in 25 years, couple kids stole sleeping bags.

I do not know how common campground theft is.. But I do know that if you are tired and it is late in the day you may be tempted to say "oh forget it" and regret dang near instantly especially with a 30 amp rig.

Campground in fact the very campsite I just left it found a problem.

Management fixed it but hey.. There was a problem
Why wouldn't you just leave the EMS plugged into the end of the power cable and then plug the EMS into the pedestal. There's no need to unplug the EMS every time you disconnect. Mine was plugged into the power cord when I bought it and it's never been unplugged. KISS.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"