cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mattress Size & Thickness Recommendations (Bigfoot 2500)

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
The Mrs and I are looking at changing out our current mattress that came stock with the camper. We are planning on doing a memory foam mattress but I don't have the camper available to measure the size and thickness. If you have gone down this path before and happen to know off hand, I would appreciate it if you could post it here.

Second part... How did you get the old mattress out the door?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
13 REPLIES 13

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I know this is an old thread but we are now looking to purchase. Found this mattress on Amazon that looks to meet our needs I think. Has anyone purchased this brand before and any thoughts?

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
To fold the old mattress, use a ratchet strap or two.
Joe & Evelyn

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a taller mattress in my Bigfoot and then moved the door at the foot of the mattress up. It makes for better ventilation in the cabinet and it just barely clears the new mattress. I replaced with a foam one and it is great.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I think all the Bigfoot campers have a "travel queen", 60 x 74. My 1996 2500 did and my 2008 2500 does. The 1988 Bigfoot 5th wheel I had did have a full queen. Not sure about the 3000 campers.

I have gotten the mattresses in and out a couple of times. You have to sort of fold it in the middle lengthwise and then get it past the narrow area until it's in the isle. It is quite a struggle but can be done.

Flo Beds in Ft Bragg (California) will make a custom size with foam to your liking. Firmer on one side, softer on the other, that sort of thing. When you go pick it up you can try different kinds of foam and swap out until you are happy.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through all of this. Bigfoot is definitely a queen short. Our original was 6” deep. We have cabinets to open at the foot of the bed, so we went 6” again of bed in a box memory foam. Still have room for thicker bedding (in Alaska, so that is a must). Enjoy!

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
BF 2500 96 bed area is built for a SHORT QUEEN.

We went with a Bed in a Box to match our home bed which is exactly the same except the home bed is a Cal King.

The old mattress was easy to get out.

The Bed in a box was a monster..hahahaaa. It is a heavy turd.. SHAPE!.

It is a bit tall, we lost 2" of head room but boy is it comfy. Have about 20,000 miles on the camper with it in there. Several Weeks of nights..

I tried to search Bed in a Box for their Short Queen "Original" and I see that they do not specify the short Queen. As a note the mattress is 11 inches.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I was able to measure it last night. It comes to 76"x60" and 7" thick. I will be talking to the mattress store to see what they offer.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is regular queen-size (60 x 80). As far as getting old out and new in. See if you can get the new "installed". :):)
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a memory foam topper on top of the stick mattress and it was great. Much cheaper and less hassle. I’d suggest you try that first. Look at about a 3 or 4” good memory foam topper.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking mine is a queen short.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I traded mine out for a Sleep Number bed just like the one in our house.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a foam distributor who also makes mattress and spec the size, thickness and firmness of the foam. Remember to factor in the thickness of the mattress cover to come up with total overall mattress thickness. I was surprised at the price, much lower than I expected.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
They are queen size or 60 x 72 in both on my campers, but I would advise to measure it as who knows what manufacturer did on the camper.
I had 1 memory foam topper simply deteriorate in about 3 years, so better buy with long warranty.
To get mattress out the cabover, I used 2 ratchet straps to bend it about 150 degrees in the center and that pulled it out the passage.
Once you have it standing on its side on the floor, you can slide it via door.