cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forest River Lexington tire issue

Houston_Camping
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been having an issue lately and need some help. Mistake 1. Going to Discount Tire. I took my 270GTS to get a tire checked out. The tech for some reason took off the valve stem (original metal stem) and replaced it. The issue was not the valve stem. He said that the original stem was incorrect for a Ford E450 so as a courtesy he changed it. However, now the stem is way too short (outside tire) and I can’t even check the air now, not even with my double headed chuck. No one so far knows what size valve stem it should have. 2. Tried extensions, (recommendation from tire shops) but they all fail within 30 miles (yes metal). So... does anyone know the proper size the metal air valve stem (length) should be? The issue is with the rear exterior tires. We’re planning a trip to Montana in May and really need to get this resolved by then.
Have a safe trip!

Joey & Nick
2006 Lexington GTS 270S
"The Dragonfly Inn"
5 REPLIES 5

Houston_Camping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information! I’ll check it out.
Have a safe trip!

Joey & Nick
2006 Lexington GTS 270S
"The Dragonfly Inn"

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Just get Set Of These and have them installed and all your problems will be solved. Long lasting,mine have been over 10 years,and it will make your tire pressure checking fast and easy.

Excellent advice. I got mine at a different source, but your best price is here: yourtireshopsupply.com I haven't had mine installed but a couple of years now, but zero trouble; and I can check my tires without even kneeling down! They will come with stabilizers for the long (inboard) dual so no worry about about wobble/vibration when adding TPMS sensors onto the end of the stem.

Les Schwab charged me about $80 to install IIRC. They said it is fast/simple to do because they only have to "break the bead" to install...... no need to demount the tire from the rim. A shop that does lots of truck tires is the place to go IMHO. I do use Discount Tire for my car(s) but for sure not my MH.

For the inner dual at least, it is not usually possible to spin balance because of the length of the stem; I installed Centramatics at the rear, but there are other options, of course.

Good luck with the fix, and safe travels to ya.
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ And still smokin it this week apparently!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 and don,t go back to that tire dealer. that tech was flipping hash last week.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just get Set Of These and have them installed and all your problems will be solved. Long lasting,mine have been over 10 years,and it will make your tire pressure checking fast and easy.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C