cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Tims Ford SP

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning to go to Tims Ford State Park early to mid April. From what I have read Fairview campground is the better of the two campgrounds. This gives me several questions that I need help with.
While researching I found vague info on Fairview campground and also Fairview Devils Step campground. Google maps show them about a half a mile apart, but shows no roads/entrance to Devil Steps. Nor campground.
Nowhere can I find a site for reservations for Devil Steps. They gotta be the same, aren't they.
Also if I arrive at Fairview CG for a night without reservations, do I have to go to the main campground to register?
This isn't supposed to be this hard!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
5 REPLIES 5

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There is a small section with seasonal sites that are leased. Not sure about the procedure to get one but if you only need a week or 2 there a couple times a season then it's not worth a seasonal site. Tims Ford Lake is a great fishing lake and these people usually have boats and fish every chance they get. You will see when you get there. I like sites 60 or 70. They are full hookup. 61 and 62 are the only 2 in that inner section of the loop that are not FHU. Its a popular park so you better go on the TN state park site and reserve or you will not get in. I just checked the first 15 days in April and there are only 6 sites open. None are FHU.

Go on the Jack Daniel's site too and book your distillery tour and look at reserving a time to eat at Mary Bobo's. Really, you need to include eating at Mary Bobo's. You must make a reservation to eat there. They only serve 3 sittings a day and its a prefix menu but it is great food and a great experience.

Been to Dickel too and I did not take their tour. It is a very small distillery. They make a great whiskey too but I think the Jack tour is more impressive. If you are a veteran they give a discount. Take the Angel's share tasting tour.

If you are interested in aircraft there is the Beechcraft Heritage Museum in Tullahoma also so if you do go to Dickel you will be right there in Tullahoma so think about including that for a stop. It is interesting even if you aren't a pilot.

If you want to see a REALLY small distillery look up Prichards Distillery in Kelso TN. Its right off of 64 and easy to miss. It's in an old school house and they make some unique pleasures.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the great advice.
We'll pick up our new RV in Elkhart and take the maiden voyage down to Buffalo Trace Distillery for a bottle of their Bourbon Cream and a tour. (The best!!!) Then to Tims Ford for a couple of nights and a tour of Jack Daniels. Meander our way into Arkansas back up through Missouri to St. Louis, home.
The George Dickel tour sounds awfully tempting, just have to talk the DW into it.
I was just terribly confused when I red about Fairview Campground and then Fairview Devil Step Campground only to find out they are one in the same. A bit confused about the "Seasonal" sites at Fairview. Are open to the public or totally reserved? The Fairview loop doesn't seem to have many available in our time slot.
Oh well just gott hope!

thanks again.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, enjoy your visit, we are glad to have you. Enjoy the state!!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in the area, also visit the Dickel distillery over at Tullahoma to see how real Tennessee sipping wiskey is really made. Jack Daniels is a fine drink, but doesn't compare since the Kentucky bunch took over years ago. Daniels is a whiskey factory, Dickle is a Tennessee whisky distillery.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Been there several times and it's one of my favorite parks. Fairview and Devil's step are the same park and no you don't have to go to the main park to register BUT, it is gated. If you arrive after 10pm then you need the code for the gate. Call the main park and talk to them about your plans and arrival time.

Now, the main park is the older original state park. It's sites are smaller so if you have a rig that is say 24 ft size then the sites are fine. Fairview has the larger sites and most will accomodate the big rigs. If this is just for an over night understand that either park is not convenient to get to. You need to want to go there. Both are on a 2 lane country road and it's pitch black out there when the sun goes down.

Fairview is where we stay when we visit the Jack Daniel distillery. If you have the time I suggest you stay a few days and take the distillery tour and have a meal at Mary Bobo's. Visit Lynchburg and wander the town, it's small and you can walk it easily. It's the best distillery tour there is and interesting too.