cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of State Purchase - Private Party

mromberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all.....looking for advice on how to handle an out of state purchase. We're in California - coach is for sale by a private party near Dallas, TX.

I definitely understand the importance of a professional inspection and will have that done. But as far as logistics involving transportation, transfer of funds, financing, etc.,etc.. Anyone do this type of deal recently? How'd it work out?
16 REPLIES 16

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Normally the dealer will charge you Colorado taxes. Once you get to California, they will then charge you the difference between what you paid and what you owe to Ca. So you'll pay most of your tax in Colorado which you can include in your financing. California will always have some fees which you'll have to pay....Dennis

OP said "We're in California - coach is for sale by a private party near Dallas, TX."
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Normally the dealer will charge you Colorado taxes. Once you get to California, they will then charge you the difference between what you paid and what you owe to Ca. So you'll pay most of your tax in Colorado which you can include in your financing. California will always have some fees which you'll have to pay....Dennis

I have not verified that this is still current, but a quick search for "vehicle sales tax reciprocity between Colorado and California" had many hits including this one:

http://www.massagent.com/info/reciprocitychart211.pdf
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mromberg
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great advice! I think we found a coach we liked better at a large dealer so now focusing our attention on that. Can the Colorado dealer include CA taxes in my financing? Not to keen on having to drop ~$8K at the DMV.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually it's pretty simple. After your purchase, all of which have been addressed above, just make sure the seller is the OWNER and has the authority to sign over the title. If title is help jointly, i.e. seller AND seller wife not seller OR seller wife, make sure they both sign. Also get a bill of sale showing costs etc. These are available on the internet for free or you can write your own. No notary necessary. Make sure the tags are current and you're good to go. Once you get back to San Diego County, take all the paperwork WITH the motor home to the DMV. They will need to verify the VIN. Pay your sales taxes, use fees and whatever else NewSCUM has tacked on this year and they'll either give you California plates there or mail everything to you. The title will come separately from the plates. Double check all signatures etc on the paperwork before you leave the seller. Otherwise it may be a hassle if somethings not correct.....yes, I purchased my first diesel in Houston and drove it to and registered it in California. Process was simple, the cost was not....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, you can probably go to the DMV and get a temporary tag to get to back to CA, then you title, register and pay taxes in your home state. We have done this one a couple of private party out of state purchases. I'd go see it in person before purchasing though.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Go to banking institution and discuss setting up an escrow account where the payment funds will be deposited. upon completion of the sale the funds will be release to the seller. if the seller requires fast cash then have the escrow account wire the funds to the sellers account. Can done on the same day. I have done this with buying cars but never a MH.

mromberg wrote:
Hey all.....looking for advice on how to handle an out of state purchase. We're in California - coach is for sale by a private party near Dallas, TX.

I definitely understand the importance of a professional inspection and will have that done. But as far as logistics involving transportation, transfer of funds, financing, etc.,etc.. Anyone do this type of deal recently? How'd it work out?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that:

Before leaving home, visit with your banker and (assuming you will be paying "cash") let them know that you may be initiating a wire transfer for the purchase of an RV and be sure to get the name of the bank exec you visit with as well as exact instruction on how you need to go about initiating a wire transfer.

Absolutely, after agreeing on a price, go see it first hand and have it inspected (preferably with you there to "see what he sees").

If it what you want (or reduce offer if issues, but still want it at a reduced price) verify that seller does have a "blue" Texas/clear title.

Contact your bank and wire funds to seller.

When funds arrive (usually a matter of an hour or two) and verified by seller's bank the two of you go to the Texas tax office and at least fill out the Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification form (available on-line) as well as the original title. If registering in Texas, complete the registration process right there.

You take possession at this point. You now have "paper ownership" and physical possession and seller knows funds are in his bank.

Both buyer and seller are protected and, if seller not comfortable with this there is likely a BAD reason.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arrange with your bank so that you can do a wire transfer of funds if you decide to go ahead with the purchase. This must be done in person as the bank will not OK a wire transfer from a phone call from you unless you have pre-arranged the details in person.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I did this with a 28ft cabin cruiser, tell you local bank your plans so they know. Go look at it and decide if you want it. If you do go to any local bank, his even, and explain your buying. They will look at paper work for the vehicle, they deal with TX vehicles & papers all the time. Signed in the bank and have the money transferred while you wait. I was done in a couple hours and his bank offered to open an account for me. 😄
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Fly and look at it in person .

Does the owner have a clear title ( paid for ) ?
If the owner has a clear title and you have the money you
can both go to a Tx title office and do the deal .
That's what we did and it took about 3 weeks to receive a new
title with our name on it .
Dealers handle these deals all the time however most of us
have no idea how to protect ourselves .
It might be worth calling a RV dealer in Dallas and see if they
are willing to help you for a fee .

I imagine you should procure financing before going and arrange
to have insurance if you close the deal .

Ray

Community Alumni
Not applicable
fyrflie wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

And be prepared to deal with your state for bringing in an out-of-state vehicle. Might try to tax you.

We are talking about California. Of course they WILL collect a sales tax and a vehicle registration fee.

Check out https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/os.
This link should take you to the DMV page outlining an out of state purchase.

Good luck with your purchase.

DITTO THIS

JimR

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Be very sure that the vehicle can be registered in California, some can not be.

JimR

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:

And be prepared to deal with your state for bringing in an out-of-state vehicle. Might try to tax you.

We are talking about California. Of course they WILL collect a sales tax and a vehicle registration fee.

Check out https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/os.
This link should take you to the DMV page outlining an out of state purchase.

Good luck with your purchase.