cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for revelstoke recommendations

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. Looking to spend two weeks in revy this summer. I see 3-4 different rv campgrounds and am looking for advice on which one to reserve. Camping with a 7 and 9 year old. Since we are doing two weeks 1200 km from home we like to set up in one stall with full service for the whole time and use it as base camp for fun and excitement.
26 REPLIES 26

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

Hey Soup, you working part time at the Visitors/Welcome Centre on the Crowsnest at the BC/AB border? If not, they should hire you.
That's a pretty comprehensive list of stuff to do out there.:B
Great pics, too.

Writing that was easy as I live in the area and have camped in the area and driving these roads for far to many years ( grin)
The hard part was correcting all my spelling mistakes.
Soup.

I hear ya. If we ever get back out that way, soon I hope, we'll check out some of those places. Maybe next summer, who knows?
Take care,
Mike. (in Ontario)
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

Hey Soup, you working part time at the Visitors/Welcome Centre on the Crowsnest at the BC/AB border? If not, they should hire you.
Great pics, too.

Writing that was easy as I live in the area and have camped in the area and driving these roads for far to many years ( grin)
The hard part was correcting all my spelling mistakes. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
Think about this round trip:
Following Hwy 3 west:
Take Hwy 3 west out of Alberta and stop and see Frank Slide continue on Sparwood see the largest truck in the world, Pass through Fernie towards Cranbrook.
Following Hwy 3 towards Cranbrook and about 60 kms west of Fernie as you come down a long hill towards a bridge that crosses the Kootenay River, there is a turn lane on your right and a road called Wardner / Fort Steele Road, if you want to see Fort Steele.
Follow this good paved road approximately 25 kms, where you will pop out onto Hwy 93/95
About 6 or 7 kms once on this road and on the left a sort distance down another rd, there is a Kootenay Fish Hatchery where you can feed the see fish.
Located at the Jct of Hwy 93/95 there is a ESSO gas station and a Campground on the right just as you get to Hwy Jct.
The ESSO has a nice big parking lot where the gas pumps are. I loved their big parking area around the pumps when I pulled my 35 ft 5th wheel.
The Fort Steele Historical Site entrance is about 300 meters to the left ( south) of the Esso down Hwy 93/95.
After Fort Steele follow Hwy 93/95 south towards Cranbrook where you will again join up with Hwy 3 west.
If you choose to, you can drive the short distance to Kimberly and take the kids on the Under Ground Mining Railway.
After Cranbrook follow Hwy 3 west to Creston. Depending when your in Creston the Hwy side fruit stands will be full of fresh fruit and some veggies. Most fruit stands are on the east side of Creston as you enter town.
Once at Creston take Hwy 3-A north west following Kootenay Lake to the Ferry Landing at Kootenay Bay. Here you will board the Kootenay Lake Ferry to cross Kootenay Lake to Balfour.
The Kootenay Lake ferry is the longest free ferry ride in the world, and the views from the ferry are spectacular.
After getting off the Ferry and at the top of the little hill as you leave the ferry take a right hand turn and follow Hwy 31 west still following the edge of Kootenay Lake towards Kaslo. ( the top of that little Hill is actually Hwy Jct 3-A and Hwy 31)
Along the way you will pass Ainsworth Hot Springs, they do have a large parking lot, however I have never pulled a trailer into that parking lot and it can get crowded durning cool or rainy days.
In Kaslo you can tour the dry docked Paddle Wheeler SS Moyie built in 1898. Kaslo has a community campground on the lake shore.
After Kaslo you will take Hwy 31 -A over the hump to New Denver. About 3/5 of the way over and as you start heading down hill there is a well marked gravel road on your left with signage pointing you to the Mining ghost town of Sandon. There is plenty of large areas to park rig.
Once you head down into New Denver you will be on shores Slocan Lake they have a small community campground on the lake shore.
After leaving New Denver take Hwy 6 north towards Nakusp. There are two campgrounds about 15 minutes from New Denver on the shores of Summit Lake. One campground is Summit Lake Provincial Park campground. The second is A small family owned campground called Three Islands Resort.
Once in Nakusp which is located on the shores of The Upper Arrow Lakes ( Columbia River) there is a small community campground how ever it is not on the lake.
There is also a great sandy beach in town as well as beautiful paved walking path following the lake shore.
Nakusp also has the Nakusp Hot Spring which has a campground right at the Hot Springs which as about a 15 minute drive on a paved access road leading to the Hot Springs. This road is located just past the Esso station by 500 meters to the right indicated with Signage.
After Nakusp follow Hwy 23, 45 minutes north to the Galena Bay / Shelter Bay ferry which again is free. This ferry is crossing the Upper Arrow Lakes and once off the ferry you are only 45 minutes from Revelstoke.
After you visit to Revelstoke you can follow Hwy 1 to Golden to visit your friends and then into Calgary and home.
Having driven the route from Revelstoke to Calgary many many times. My wife and I both like the views heading east more than heading west through Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass, just our Opinion.
There are tons of campgrounds private and BC Provincial campgrounds all along this route, you just have to decide where you want to stay, I only named a couple.
Also there are hiking trails and mountain bikes trails all over the mountains around here. Also a great hike is up Idaho Peak, there is a shuttle service out of New Denver for a fee so you donโ€™t have to drive your own vehicular up the mountain road to the parking lot ( YouTube Idaho Peak BC)
What ever you decide to do have fun.
Soup.

SS Moyie

Summit Lake BC ( West Kootenays)

Summit lake, fishing looking at Three Islands Resort.

Slocan Lake

Great pics, too.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Don,t forget Keystone Basin for MTB. Check out trail forks for trail head directions( all day trip). Spectacular scenery on a nice day.
Lots of good short to intermediate hiking in the area.We are only 1.5 hours West and Revy is one of our favorite areas to bike/hike/paddle.

Have fun.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Think about this round trip:
Following Hwy 3 west:
Take Hwy 3 west out of Alberta and stop and see Frank Slide continue on Sparwood see the largest truck in the world, Pass through Fernie towards Cranbrook.
Following Hwy 3 towards Cranbrook and about 60 kms west of Fernie as you come down a long hill towards a bridge that crosses the Kootenay River, there is a turn lane on your right and a road called Wardner / Fort Steele Road, if you want to see Fort Steele.
Follow this good paved road approximately 25 kms, where you will pop out onto Hwy 93/95
About 6 or 7 kms once on this road and on the left a sort distance down another rd, there is a Kootenay Fish Hatchery where you can feed the see fish.
Located at the Jct of Hwy 93/95 there is a ESSO gas station and a Campground on the right just as you get to Hwy Jct.
The ESSO has a nice big parking lot where the gas pumps are. I loved their big parking area around the pumps when I pulled my 35 ft 5th wheel.
The Fort Steele Historical Site entrance is about 300 meters to the left ( south) of the Esso down Hwy 93/95.
After Fort Steele follow Hwy 93/95 south towards Cranbrook where you will again join up with Hwy 3 west.
If you choose to, you can drive the short distance to Kimberly and take the kids on the Under Ground Mining Railway.
After Cranbrook follow Hwy 3 west to Creston. Depending when your in Creston the Hwy side fruit stands will be full of fresh fruit and some veggies. Most fruit stands are on the east side of Creston as you enter town.
Once at Creston take Hwy 3-A north west following Kootenay Lake to the Ferry Landing at Kootenay Bay. Here you will board the Kootenay Lake Ferry to cross Kootenay Lake to Balfour.
The Kootenay Lake ferry is the longest free ferry ride in the world, and the views from the ferry are spectacular.
After getting off the Ferry and at the top of the little hill as you leave the ferry take a right hand turn and follow Hwy 31 west still following the edge of Kootenay Lake towards Kaslo. ( the top of that little Hill is actually Hwy Jct 3-A and Hwy 31)
Along the way you will pass Ainsworth Hot Springs, they do have a large parking lot, however I have never pulled a trailer into that parking lot and it can get crowded durning cool or rainy days.
In Kaslo you can tour the dry docked Paddle Wheeler SS Moyie built in 1898. Kaslo has a community campground on the lake shore.
After Kaslo you will take Hwy 31 -A over the hump to New Denver. About 3/5 of the way over and as you start heading down hill there is a well marked gravel road on your left with signage pointing you to the Mining ghost town of Sandon. There is plenty of large areas to park rig.
Once you head down into New Denver you will be on shores Slocan Lake they have a small community campground on the lake shore.
After leaving New Denver take Hwy 6 north towards Nakusp. There are two campgrounds about 15 minutes from New Denver on the shores of Summit Lake. One campground is Summit Lake Provincial Park campground. The second is A small family owned campground called Three Islands Resort.
Once in Nakusp which is located on the shores of The Upper Arrow Lakes ( Columbia River) there is a small community campground how ever it is not on the lake.
There is also a great sandy beach in town as well as beautiful paved walking path following the lake shore.
Nakusp also has the Nakusp Hot Spring which has a campground right at the Hot Springs which as about a 15 minute drive on a paved access road leading to the Hot Springs. This road is located just past the Esso station by 500 meters to the right indicated with Signage.
After Nakusp follow Hwy 23, 45 minutes north to the Galena Bay / Shelter Bay ferry which again is free. This ferry is crossing the Upper Arrow Lakes and once off the ferry you are only 45 minutes from Revelstoke.
After you visit to Revelstoke you can follow Hwy 1 to Golden to visit your friends and then into Calgary and home.
Having driven the route from Revelstoke to Calgary many many times. My wife and I both like the views heading east more than heading west through Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass, just our Opinion.
There are tons of campgrounds private and BC Provincial campgrounds all along this route, you just have to decide where you want to stay, I only named a couple.
Also there are hiking trails and mountain bikes trails all over the mountains around here. Also a great hike is up Idaho Peak, there is a shuttle service out of New Denver for a fee so you donโ€™t have to drive your own vehicular up the mountain road to the parking lot ( YouTube Idaho Peak BC)
What ever you decide to do have fun.
Soup.

SS Moyie

Summit Lake BC ( West Kootenays)

Summit lake, fishing looking at Three Islands Resort.

Slocan Lake
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

It was actually a hot August day there. It looks dull and overcast.

If you look at the sky in the pics, that thick haze is actually smoke from the forest fires that were going on then.
Smoke was so thick that the sun was completely choked out and we could not see the mountains.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Speaking of nice friendly people...

See in my second pic, past the Tango to the left the nice new Dodge pickup?

Well the owner heard of my plight and the Tango sitting at the tow yard. He came to the Lamplighter office, greeted me with a smile and said c'mon, I'll go over and tow your trailer here for you.
So he did. He pulled in close to the spot we are set up there, got out of his truck and beckoned me to the drivers seat. Here, use my truck and position your rig. Park it over there when done.

Wow, amazing wonderful fellow RVer.

So I did just that. And when I tried to pay him, he refused to accept anything.

The pictures look great! Thanks

Speaking of nice friendly people...

See in my second pic, past the Tango to the left the nice new Dodge pickup?

Well the owner heard of my plight and the Tango sitting at the tow yard. He came to the Lamplighter office, greeted me with a smile and said c'mon, I'll go over and tow your trailer here for you.
So he did. He pulled in close to the spot we are set up there, got out of his truck and beckoned me to the drivers seat. Here, use my truck and position your rig. Park it over there when done.

Wow, amazing wonderful fellow RVer.

So I did just that. And when I tried to pay him, he refused to accept anything.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Kevinwa wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Lamplighter! ......snip

I was actually thinking of your adventure when I was looking through revy campgrounds. I remember reading it as it happened. As a power engineer who works in a steam plant for a living the Dam fascinates me. I would love to take a tour!

Yes, my adventure! But rather than focus on the 10 thousand dollar hit to my wallet, and the cancellation of a wonderful planned holiday, We learned something.
Revelstoke used to be a place you pass through on your way to some place nice. Maybe stop for gas and a coffee. That was it.

My eyes were opened and we made a great holiday of it there. If you travel right through the town and keep going, there is a wonderful drive way out along the lake. It goes for many miles before it dead ends. I didn't know it existed. There are several areas of fancy new homes there that we drove through and looked at. Again, never knew it existed. There is a small airport out there too.

Would I go back? Yes, absolutely. We even discussed moving there in our retirement. The locals are very nice, friendly people. Everywhere we went, every store and even the place I had the truck towed to for repair evaluation greeted us with a warm cheerful smile and super friendly attitude.

A couple pics of our stay there in our Tango!

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Lamplighter! Absolutely the best hosts ever.

Knocked the engine out of the TV 2 summers ago on the Rogers Pass. Got towed into Revy, wound up spending 2 weeks at the Lamplighter.
While it my not be the most modern, it is a very comfy place.

The hosts are over the top friendly and helpful. 5 stars to all the staff. I can't say enough good about these folks. They are the best I have ever encountered.

The trains? Well, if you don't want to hear a train, don't go to Revelstoke. The town was born by the railway. While you are there, be sure to visit the railway museum. It is fascinating.

Take in the village farmers market downtown too.
Lots of cool little shops and restaurants are there too.
Make sure to take a tour of the Revelstoke Dam too. Doesn't costmmuch and you get a narrated tour through the place. Very cool!

And in case I didn't mention it, check out the Lamplighter!

I was actually thinking of your adventure when I was looking through revy campgrounds. I remember reading it as it happened. As a power engineer who works in a steam plant for a living the Dam fascinates me. I would love to take a tour!

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
morley wrote:
Lamplighter for sure, really great owners, good location, lived in Revy for almost 25 years, lots to see and do. Take the kids on the Pipe Coaster at Revelstoke ski hill they will have a hoot. Great mountain biking, hiking sight seeing in the area. Pool at the recreation centre is second to none for the kids. Lots of great places to eat. Need any thing further PM me.
Enjoy yourself,
Morley

For sure, thanks! Iโ€™m pretty excited. I love a destination that I can mountain bike and still has stuff for the kids!
Kevin

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
Is there a particular reason you want to spend 2 weeks in Revelstoke? I can think of a lot of other places close by that in my opinion are much better places to camp.
Soup.

It will be two weeks total, with drive, so probably ten days. Last year we did fernie and loved it. Year before Radium, Waterton the year before that. My wife doesnโ€™t love traveling every few days, prefers to get to know a place really well.
Reasons for revelstoke:
mountain biking. I did Frisby ridge oct 1 last year and canโ€™t wait to go back. Also really excited for 5620 at the mountain resort. 5620 feet vertical over 15 km. Currently the longest mtb flow trail in the world.
Railway museum and dam tour with the kids.
Enchanted forest.
Friends in golden as we pass through
Friends in salmon arm to visit once or twice.

It seams like a nice central location with lots to do with young kids. Our vacations are usually pretty laid back. I am open to other suggestions as well, kind of just slowly working our way into bc and experiencing it one place as a time. I would love to go to the Kelowna Vernon shushwap type area also one day, donโ€™t know where to stay there either.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
personaly I would stay at either crazy creek hotsprings or canyon hot springs. but thats just me, both close to revelstoke but you can soak away all day if you like.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA campground is now a privately owned campground called 'Revelstoke Campground' a little to congested for me, but near to Hwy 1 and Revelstoke NP.

Trevor