cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at new better tires, need advice.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have a 2007 Keystone Outback 23rs. The tires that are on it are 205/75R14's they are aged and looking worn. I would like to replace them with a better option. I know exactly squat about tires and load ranges ect.... What would be a good option to go with for replacements?
Thanks in advance!
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost
32 REPLIES 32

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The Carlisle Radial HD's are around $60 on Amazon, and the Endurance are $99 each.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy with my Goodyear Endurance tires
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My TT had the same size tires when bought new. After 4 seasons, I replaced with Maxxis M8008 slightly taller 215/75R14. After 2 seasons, I had one tread separate. After that I tried Carlisle Radial HD. Now I'm on second set of Radial HD without issues.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Carlisle Radial HD's and they have been great for 3 years and almost 18000 miles now. I have not seen one on the interwebs that has blown since they have been out as of yet but I have seen a couple Goodyear Endurances on the interwebs that have blown...that being said they both seem to be the better tires out there today and when I buy again it will be the Carlisle Radial HD's for sure.

The main key to any tire is owner maintenance...proper inflation, storage, and UV protection is key....I have had the so-called China bomb trailer kings in the past and have never had an issue with those either after about 50k of towing...but with the new Carlisles I like the higher speed rating for peace of mind.

Also if it were me I'd just stick with the same load rating tire that came from the factory as I have and no problem here in 20 yrs of trailering...
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
+2 on Goodyear Endurance.

deltabravo wrote:
Here's another video I did of the ST205 Endurance, when I was going to put them on my small cargo trailer.
Bob

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
Wow,thank you all for the recommendations! I will look at the date here in a few days when I stop by the storage location.
I will order some tires here in the next month and get ready for the season! I purchased the rig in August of 2019 so I'm pumped to get to use it all season! I would use it when it gets cold but the DW is NOT interested if its cold:(
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Why so complicated? I'd go with the size tire shown on the sticker on the trailer.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TT tires usually age out long before they look worn. Are your tires really 13+ years old? Dangerous IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
When you buy new tires, tell tire shop that you will only accept tires that are no more than 1 yr. old based on the manufactured date. BEFORE they install your new tire, look for the manufactured date of imprinted on the side of that tire. If it is older than 1 yr. old, don't accept it. The tire store might tell you they don't have in stock that fresh of a tire, I just tell them to call me when they get a "fresh" tire meeting my specifications. IMHO:)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis gets lots of attention...some good some bad.
We've had over 30 Maxxis ST8008 complaints from two rv websites ....many in the size you mention.
Maxxis doesn't use a nylon cap in all sizes but don't say which sizes those are.
Looking around at different rv and non rv trailering websites the Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle HD seem get most recommendations. Both are a new tire and have been available for about three years now. So far so good.

Another good new gen higher speed rated ST tire is the Providers. They first came out on commercial trailers then later on rv trailers. They came out in the '10-11 era and so far have a better over all service record than any ST C/D/E tire on the market.

Carlisle still sells ST tires other than their new HD so just be aware and stay away from them.
Same with Goodyears Marathons. Goodyear stopped production but probably thousands still in warehouses and on shelves in farm and ranch stores/etc.

Tire rotation on a trailer with close spaced axles ??
Having owned and operated several trailers in service we actually wear tires out. Never rotated tires on any tandem or triaxle trailer. They all wear the same.
These trailers were in constant use and suspension checked 2-3 times a year so tires treads didn't get a chance to wear uneven.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Rotating trailer tires is like rotating the air in your tires.
Unless of course the trailer is messed up or hooked up improperly causing more wear on certain tires in which case rotating good tires Into the bad spot is a bandaid for the problem.

I disagree. With a double axle trailer one of the two axles will tend to skid the tires around sharper turns more than the other axle wearing that set out more. This will be very evident when backing into your driveway. Just the nature of the beast with fixed axles.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, there are a multitude of D load tires for your application. If you want better (extra capacity) you can do this. They donโ€™t cost much more either.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rotating trailer tires is like rotating the air in your tires.
Unless of course the trailer is messed up or hooked up improperly causing more wear on certain tires in which case rotating good tires Into the bad spot is a bandaid for the problem.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I got my info from tire Rack as they have a nice screen that shows all the specs of the tire sizes in one screen it shows them to be the same diameter if that is wrong my apologies.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance

However, now after a quick check on Goodyears site Tire Rack does appear to be wrong. Goodyears site shows that there is in fact a difference as was stated after my post of 26.1 vs 26.7 diameter so my apologies for providing incorrect info. As for my trust in Tire Rack it has now wavered and in the future will verify with the manufacturers website in regards to tire info I glean from Tire Rack.

That being said I personally would still consider going up to that size depending on what my trailer weight was to gain a bit more tire capacity cushion if I thought it was needed but unknown without a trailer weight. That is if the 6/10's of an inch in diameter increase is still doable on the trailer

PS Don't remember who brought it up but whomever good catch on my mistake
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS