cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sacramento to Hwy 395

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't even started our summer PNW trip, and I'm already thinking about the return. Haha. Only because we may pick up a relative at Sacramento airport to do a little road trippin' with us. This would be at beginning of October.

So, I'd like to know if Hwy 50 to 89 to 88 to 395 (at Gardnerville) is RV friendly? Same for Hwy 50 to 89 to 395 (near Topaz Lake)?

I would like to visit South Lake Tahoe, but don't really want to drive the MH up there to camp. Last time we were there (in the car from Carson City), the town was so jam packed. Thinking I could just drive over in the car from campsite in Gardnerville...unless anyone can suggest a suitable campground along 50 or 89. We definitely need electric hookup.

We'll be continuing southbound on 395 after this stop.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
8 REPLIES 8

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional comments. I'll definitely check the weather, no matter which way I go.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a little late to the dance here, but I have successfully used Kingsbury Grade (Highway 207) from South Lake Tahoe to 395. A little steep and twisty, but no big deal in dry weather.

Not so great in the snow, though.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Me I would take Hwy 80 to Reno pickup 395 south to Carson City. At Hwy 395 and Hwy 50 is the Comstock Country RV Park. Easy to Tahoe from there.

X2! Check the weather before you go.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for your replies.

F-Troup...I thought of that too. I know that would be simplest. Last time I came down through Susanville, Reno, stayed in Carson City, and drove the car on 50 to visit South Lake Tahoe. Just wanted to experience a different route and scenery this time. Looks like I can drive the car on 207 to get to South Lake Tahoe from Gardnerville.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Me I would take Hwy 80 to Reno pickup 395 south to Carson City. At Hwy 395 and Hwy 50 is the Comstock Country RV Park. Easy to Tahoe from there.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I like CA 88. Nice scenery.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I do 50,89, 88 to 395 all the time with my 35' toyhauler. No problem.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
The Gardnerville route (Luther Pass) is do able...I have hauled a 37' 5er with no problem. On the other hand, the Topaz Lake route (Monitor Pass) is NO GO for rv's your size...very steep and curvy.

Have a great trip,

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i