Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Obtaining permits while in Mexico
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Obtaining permits while in Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
MnMex90

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of a friend..yes really...contacted me yesterday. As we are long time Rvers here, my friend thought I might to able to advise her.

She is traveling alone in Mexico and is now in Veracruz. First time driving here. She crossed at Reynosa with her car and did not get paperwork..no tourist visa, no vehicle importation. She knew that she had to but said she did not see where to stop so continued south. At least she has Mex auto insurance and her title etc with her.

Yesterday near Veracruz she was stopped by transito on another matter and asked for paperwork. She has been told 2 option..go back to border illegally and start over which of course could mean her vehicle could be confiscated. Or wait where she is and apply online and have the docs sent to her from the states.
Not sure where that leaves her getting the tourist visa.

She went to Banjercito in Veracruz but they would not assist. She also is in contact with the consulate but I have not heard yet if that will be of any help.
I also suggested an immigration lawyer but I have no experience with that.

I wonder if Veracruz being a huge port might be an option at the port? Anyway I’m not judging her. Just trying to help. If anyone has any ideas would appreciate hearing them. She is pretty upset with herself and quite worried.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“She knew that she had to but said she did not see where to stop so continued south.”

Oh boy! And many complain that Mexicans don’t follow our laws.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To my knowledge, she can only get her paperwork at the border. She can drive back to the border-after looking up where the office is located, and stop and get papers. There is no reason that anyone would know that she had already been in and driving around.

She is only two days south of the border. Just don't get stopped again.

Insurance? It's not valid because she does not have the paperwork she needs to be in the country legally. If anything happens, the very first thing the insurance company wants to see is proof of visa and vehicle permit.

Flying out requires turning in your visa at the airport.

Bus out requires current ID and your visa. They have really cracked down on this.

She could apply for her TIP on line, then have someone send it to her FedEx or DHL, but that won't Handle the visa issue.

She shouldn't keep driving, she could easily have her vehicle impounded.

Please keep us posted, and good luck to her.

* This post was edited 01/29/20 11:42am by Talleyho69 *

MnMex90

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I told her all of that. It’s the getting stopped again that is the problem. On her way back to the border. Took her 3 days to get where she is...traveling alone and first time here she is not traveling very fast.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She was stopped by a local transito. She should return to the border via toll highways thus avoiding towns and transitos.

Cross the border back into the U.S. and reenter Mexico stopping to get the permits. She's in limbo now and needs to take action. Sticking to major highways, obeying speed limits she will not be stopped. Even at a checkpoint, she will be waved through.

This is my recommendation.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MnMex90

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! Yes she was stopped by a local transito for a supposed seat belt violation. She was wearing it however.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She could be back in Mexico LEGALLY on Sunday.

qtla9111 is correct. Stick to the toll roads, obey all the laws, and if you do hit a checkpoint and are stopped, smile and answer their questions.

It's not uncommon for a transito to stop an RV for seatbelts because often they aren't visible or are of an age or style that do not require shoulder straps which is what they are looking for.

Belting 1313

Gresham Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This actually happened to me also. A drove from Oregon to Salamanca Mexico crossing at Santa Teresa by Juarez. Crossed early on a Sunday morning and must have been half asleep because it took me about 4 hours south before I realized that I didn't have any documentation to show anything. No trip permit no stamp in my passport nothing. Called the mexican consulate and told me that since I was scheduled to fly out to see immigration at the airport. 2 weeks after crossing and at the Guadalajara airport I went to immigration and they took care of everything it did cost me a fine of like 1,500 pesos but it all got taken care of. You might try calling the airport and see if they can help you. Hope it all works out.

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She is 2 days from the Belice border too, if she was heading that way. Not many inspections heading east.

Maybe she could get a returno seguro from Aduana?

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is an interesting idea, too.

I seriously considered asking you about this situation earlier. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Obtaining permits while in Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.