cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt Cigarette/Round sockets at Dash Loss Power

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I removed a old 3 way that was plugged into one of the sockets and a piece broke off inside and while fishing it out I popped the fuse to the 12 volt round sockets at dash.

So I checked all fuses on both the RV side and Ford side and no fuse was brunt out, do note these two round 12 volt sockets have power all the time without the key even being one.

So where did Fleetwood install the fuse to the 12 volt round sockets at the dash, I hope its not buried in the dash.

2008 Bounder on a F-53 chassis.
16 REPLIES 16

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
sehunter wrote:
I don't know which bounder you have but mine has four 12v fuse boxes. One under the hood I believe by WH, one on top of the dash on the drivers side, one behind the same door for the 110 breaker box in the bedroom and one outside the entrance door with the slide open behind a removeable metal plate with more 12v fuses than any other place.

Bingo

Yes I found the 4th location under the hood above the radiator and it was fuse #22 that was blown, it was a large 20 amp fuse, after 5 years of ownership I never knew that fuse box was there.

Yes 4 locations of fuse boxes on my Bounder motorhome, why so many locations I will never understand.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
wa8yxm wrote:
I like using a test light to check fuses. Get it at any Auto store or department Looks like an old fashion ice pick with a light in the clear or nearly so handle and a wire coming out...

First clip the wire on a good ground (IE Under the hook I often pick the brake lines) now touch the tip to a KNOWN good 12 volt (The big bolts/screws at the bottom of the BCC the one marked MAIN) bright light. GOOD

Now touch the metal tab inside the small window on the top of the fuse. both of them

LIGHT LIGHT Good
DARK DARK no test but in the specific it's not that fuse anyway
Light dark or Dark light DING DING DING you found it.

Yes most people don't realize that the fuses have little windows in the top of the fuse for testing. These windows are actually the top of the blades that plug into the fuse block. Just probe the positive of your meter or test light into the hole and your negative on a good ground and if it lights you have power.

A good fuse will light when you probe both windows.
A bad fuse will light on one window only.
If no light on either window there is no power to that fuse or your ground is no good.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
A little off topic, but chasing down fuses is why I replaced all mine with lit fuses, so I can easily tell when they go.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know which bounder you have but mine has four 12v fuse boxes. One under the hood I believe by WH, one on top of the dash on the drivers side, one behind the same door for the 110 breaker box in the bedroom and one outside the entrance door with the slide open behind a removeable metal plate with more 12v fuses than any other place.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
In one of my vehicles its actually soldered to the back of the receptacle and is very tiny, easy to miss, impossible to see when installed in the dash.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Yep I think I will pick one up tomorrow and do a retest, checking fuses by eye did not pan out..

However there is about a hundred fuses located in 3 areas on this motorhome and so many listed as spares with fuses in them, nobody at the factory took the time to list where is goes..

:E

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like using a test light to check fuses. Get it at any Auto store or department Looks like an old fashion ice pick with a light in the clear or nearly so handle and a wire coming out...

First clip the wire on a good ground (IE Under the hook I often pick the brake lines) now touch the tip to a KNOWN good 12 volt (The big bolts/screws at the bottom of the BCC the one marked MAIN) bright light. GOOD

Now touch the metal tab inside the small window on the top of the fuse. both of them

LIGHT LIGHT Good
DARK DARK no test but in the specific it's not that fuse anyway
Light dark or Dark light DING DING DING you found it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You need to use a test light or meter to check for voltage. Looking doesn't always work.

Yea I think if its a burnt fuse than I don't see it, will have to test each fuse or get a new one and check each circuit, I wish it had the 12 volt fuse listed but mine does not, just a bunch of spares listed all over.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to use a test light or meter to check for voltage. Looking doesn't always work.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am at my wits end, I have check every fuse in 3 loctations on the motorhome and no luck.

All fuses shows no signs of being burnt, next thing is to get a new fuse and check it this way in case I cant see the burnt fuse, nothing is mark for the 12 volt outlets, just spares listed thru out, wish I knew which one it was.

What have I done.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Mine is located under the hood driver's side. Mine has the battery disconnects, charge and ignition relay.

Well I just checked the battery control box and no fuses burnt there, I will try and find that box and check fuses there.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mine is located under the hood driver's side. Mine has the battery disconnects, charge and ignition relay.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
My power receptacle is fused in the battery control center.

Where is that located

Update never mind I know where that is, I will try there, forgot all about that box..

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My power receptacle is fused in the battery control center.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow